Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The answer is,
1. Your right to marriage is in fact not denied. The desire to marry someone of the same sex is. That is different altogether.

2. You appear to use the word EVIL a lot. Have you ever considered that MAYBE other people believe YOU are being evil? Additionally, you ask why should people you have never met have power over your life. Aren't you asking to have power over their lives, by stating they should accept YOUR terms and conditions?

Quite frankly having power over your life by people you have never met has, always been that way and always will be. Congress controls the federal taxes you pay, local government passes laws you have to follow, etc etc.

3. Before you accuse me of anything, I am simply playing devil's advocate. I could care less if you are heterosexual or homosexual and I have many good friends on both sides of the fence.

Personally, what I support is a Civil union for same sex couples, with all of the rights, privileges and responsibilities of a opposite sex marriage.

Actually I think the government should ONLY support the term Civil Union, and the term marriage should be handled by churches, synagogues, etc. All government paperwork should have "civil union" in place of the work marriage. That ways all will be equal in the eyes of the government.
I couldnt agree more, I think this is the easiest solution and it's exactly what should be done. Marriage is for religions only. However, do you really think that the very conservative Christians will not have a hissy fit when the government decides to step out of the marriage business so its fair for all?

Unfortunately, giving gays/lesbians any marriage rights, at the federal level, will send them (ultra conservatives) into a tailspin of fear and anger.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I think it's weird that people who are STRAIGHT and CAN get married think that they should have a say in MY life and MY marriage. It's unconstitutional to vote on the rights of others while ENJOYING that right, and when the courts overturn their unconstitutional and evil attempts, they act like THEIR rights have been violated? How is denying someone else the same right that you have DENYING you a RIGHT? Also, since when do THEY get the right to OVERRIDE the constitution? I think it's weird that their are anti gay marriage people who are actually PASSIONATE about causing harm to other people's lives. If you're passionate about being evil.. doesn't that make you EVIL? I don't get why they think they even GET a say? I think it's demeaning that these people i never met get to have POWER over MY LIFE? and they think i have to ask them if they think it's OK if I do something that doesn't involve them.
why do you BELIEVE that you need PERMISSION for the government to love someone??? does that piece of paper prove your love??? does that piece of paper which you ask PERMISSION FOR (its a LICENSE for which you PAY FOR....marriage is not a right, its a PRIVILEDGE(for which you must PAY FOR)) prove you love??? is your love worthless, without that PERMISSION( paid for PRIVILEDGE) PAPER??

there is a simple solution...ABOLISH all marriages...who needs a piece of paper to say you LOVE someone

and eliminate ALL the so-called marriage 'benefits'... ie tax breaks.. ie money...eliminate the GREED

Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Because most straight people who are against gay marriage don't believe gays are real--they just believe gays are straight people trying to be different. You have to see it through their eyes for it to make sense. If you thought that being gay was just a behavior, and even a sinful one, wouldn't it seem absurd to afford those people marriage rights? Wouldn't that be like enabling sin? Of course I don't see it that way myself but when I look from that perspective, it makes sense why many straight people, who will be completely unaffected by gay marriage on a personal level, seem to have an issue with it. For them it's a concern because they see it as a heterosexual issue since from their perspective "gay" people are really heterosexual, but acting out something unnatural/a sin. Allowing gay marriage equates to enabling "unnatural/sinful behavior".

Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
More to the point. Why do they even care?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why do you BELIEVE that you need PERMISSION for the government to love someone??? does that piece of paper prove your love??? does that piece of paper which you ask PERMISSION FOR (its a LICENSE for which you PAY FOR....marriage is not a right, its a PRIVILEDGE(for which you must PAY FOR)) prove you love??? is your love worthless, without that PERMISSION( paid for PRIVILEDGE) PAPER??

there is a simple solution...ABOLISH all marriages...who needs a piece of paper to say you LOVE someone

and eliminate ALL the so-called marriage 'benefits'... ie tax breaks.. ie money...eliminate the GREED
A lot of people don't necessarily believe this, but they want the benefits that come with legal marriage. I don't believe I need a piece of paper to feel married, but if being married is what it takes so I can adopt my child with my partner or make medical decisions for my partner when she is unconscious, then why wouldn't I want to get legally married? If being legally married means my company will provide my spouse and family with medical insurance, why wouldn't I take it? Lots of straight people realize a piece of paper doesn't equate to love but they like to have these legal benefits and safety nets. The government makes marriage a big deal by offering these great benefits to people who are married. If you were left out from being able to get these benefits with the person you love, wouldn't you want in on the loop too?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
More to the point. Why do they even care?
People who are against gay marriage often care because it is their way of being a good person. Most people would define trying to keep others from harm as being a good person. Well, if someone's definition of keeping from harm is preventing them from engaging in a "sinful behavior" such as homosexuality, then that will translate to being against gay marriage. It's people who believe homosexuality is a sin trying to show they care. Obviously what they don't realize is they are imposing their standards of good and evil on a group of people who have their own standards, but more often than not, their intentions are rooted in good. They are just trying to show they care in the way they were taught or have come to believe.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Your logic is flawed on several fronts. First, you say "people who are STRAIGHT can CAN get married. . . Gays can get married too. They have all the rights of every other citizens of the U.S. Let's be straight (no pun intended) about this and what homosexuals are seeking. Homosexuals are asking for an addition or extention of the law; that is to marry a person of the same sex.
Gays can get married, but not to the person they love. Straights can get married to the person they love. There is a huge discrepancy there that's not being acknowledged when one claims that gays can get married. Anyone can enter a loveless marriage, but for gays in most states and countries right now, that's the only kind of legal marriage they can enter.

Additions, extensions, and changes to the law have been made throughout history. I don't see why the desire to change the law is such a hard concept to swallow for so many.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
This seems like such a fallacious contention to me. Its like someone saying that since tall people arent short, they cant have any input that affects short people as well -- They can only care about issues that affect tall people. Or since skinny people arent born with a predisposition to be obese, then they cant make laws that affect fat people. WTF kind of logic is that, when we live in a collective society? Plus, I find it highly contradictory that gays accept the input of straight people all the time as long as those straight people agree with them. Then, all of a sudden, their sexual preference isnt a factor.

That said, if gays want to get married, I still havent figured out why they cant. Whats the objective, non religious basis for not allowing gays to get married?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
When you change the definition of marriage, it effects us all.
It will certainly affect Social Security survival benefits and that's talking taxpayer money, which WILL affect us all.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Gays can get married, but not to the person they love. Straights can get married to the person they love. There is a huge discrepancy there that's not being acknowledged when one claims that gays can get married. Anyone can enter a loveless marriage, but for gays in most states and countries right now, that's the only kind of legal marriage they can enter.
Additions, extensions, and changes to the law have been made throughout history. I don't see why the desire to change the law is such a hard concept to swallow for so many.
Well not all people can marry "the one they love" as you assert. Many straight people are in love with someone who does not love them back, they can't marry someone just because they desire to.

Additionally, we have agree on the definition of the word marriage: between one man and one woman. With that definition understood anyone
can get married between two consenting adults.

I don't think anyone is suggesting people enter into loveless marriages. Some people never marry for a host of reasons, including homosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies