Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 02:05 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Agreed.

Also, why can't they take civil unions?
um, EVERYONE"S marriage is a 'civil union' if you choose to call it a marriage that's your personal business. Civil unions are unconstitutionally banned by people like you through DOMA

Old 03-29-2011, 02:05 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Have you ever heard of the term Precedent?

The Federal Judge in California who struck down Prop 8 cited that precedent in regards to same-sex marriage.

A case's facts don't need to be identical for the reasoning to be applicable.
Of course, I have heard of "precedent". What an idiotic question. Once this case gets to the SC, the "precedent" of prohibiting discrimination of marriage for interracial, opposite-sex couples may well be evoked by the liberal justices in voting to overturn all prohibitions against same-sex marriage. Then if same-sex marriage becomes a national "right", we can next expect polygamy cases to make their way to the SC and eventually close-relative marriage, too.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Of course, I have heard of "precedent". What an idiotic question. Once this case gets to the SC, the "precedent" of prohibiting discrimination of marriage for interracial, opposite-sex couples may well be evoked by the liberal justices in voting to overturn all prohibitions against same-sex marriage. Then if same-sex marriage becomes a national "right", we can next expect polygamy cases to make their way to the SC and eventually close-relative marriage, too.
Sounds like you believe we should abolish straight marriage to begin with, since it "leads to" such other things.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
strawman argument. Expanding the definition of marriage to allow for same-gender marriage affects everyone--not just gay people.
How so. and why should I have to accept heterosexual marriage? shouldn't you have to ask me what I think before I allow you to get married? how would that feel?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:13 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Then if same-sex marriage becomes a national "right", we can next expect polygamy cases to make their way to the SC and eventually close-relative marriage, too.
I fail to see that as an issue.

If my wife falls in love with a woman, yet still loves me (as we both believe in the idea of multiple soulmates), then by god, let her marry that woman.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
It's not a 'priviledge' because anyone that applies is given one, accept for gay people. you have the OPTION to APPLY (and always get one)

we don't get that option. (though it's unconstitutional not to give us the option)
Are you trying to tell us that you are denied the "option to apply for a marriage license" or that you are denied the "option to apply for a marriage license" to someone of the same sex?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:14 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Slippery slope arguments don't work. The state has compelling interest to stop those other issues. And all the countries in the world that do allow same-sex marriage (who btw, are far more liberal than we are) have not supported polygamy or incest either.

Your argument doesn't play out in reality.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Sounds like you believe we should abolish straight marriage to begin with, since it "leads to" such other things.
Sounds like you are grasping at straws and wandering all over the place with your "logic".

Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are grasping at straws and wandering all over the place with your "logic".
Not particularly. They're just pointing out the stupidity of the slippery slope argument (Saying that gay marriage will lead to poly/incest marriage)

By proxy OF the slippery slope fallacy, simply allowing straight marriage leads into gay/poly/incest marriage.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Now you are going off on a tangent.

"Marriage" is a right, a right that all people have. No one is discriminated against in their "right to marry". Marriage to the person of one's choice is a privilege...

The Supreme Court disagrees with you - as shown by the Loving v. Virginia decision.

Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies