Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:59 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
How exactly would gay marriage affect heterosexual marriage?
Everyone would turn gay don't you know, it's happened over here!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:01 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You've got some verifiable proof of this god-thing you're talking about, right?
I mean, your god thing and religion are constructs of man, are they not?
You have less proof of a sky-daddy than you do of government.

Who would your god-thingy hate?
I posted to give perspective from a religious POV. I didn't attack homosexuality itself. You can't see air but you have to breath. People believe in UFO's yet they've never landed on the White House lawn. Why are you so obsessed with hatred?

I've not said you have to believe in anything. You want me to prove God exists, yet you can't prove he doesn't.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
Nothing in the real world would happen.
The religious folk, who don't live in the real world, would all have meltdowns.

It's a win-win situation.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I posted to give perspective from a religious POV. I didn't attack homosexuality itself. You can't see air but you have to breath. People believe in UFO's yet they've never landed on the White House lawn. Why are you so obsessed with hatred?

I've not said you have to believe in anything. You want me to prove God exists, yet you can't prove he doesn't.
Obsessed with hatred, nah, that's the job of super c's.
You have not one whit of proof that some sky daddy exists; yet you (collective) spew nothing but hatred in its name.

You have to prove an affirmative stance.
I can't prove there's no santa or pink elephants or tinkerbelle's or other hallucinations either.

You know, if you make a positive statement that something exists, it's incumbent on you to prove it.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 PM

288 posts, read 352,057 times
We must protect the sanctity of traditional marriage.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/davidhorse...-15-10-web.jpg

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-27-2011 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Please don't hotlink copyrighted images

Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Nothing would happen to heterosexual marriages, as nothing has happened to heterosexual marriages in the states that currently have it, other than perhaps lower divorce rates....

Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM

146 posts, read 225,189 times
Quote:

In philosophy, there is something known as the principle of belief conservation. Example: I cannot 100% disprove that our planet was not the end result of a giant turtle defecating a few thousand years ago. But since the evidence needed to substantiate that position far outweighs what is needed to substantiate my metaphysical naturalist position - I logically "conserve" my beliefs in the Big Bang, evolution, etc. Empirical evidence always trumps "faith." in the event of conflicting empirical evidence - that's what the entire scientific method is about. I may not be able to see air with my eyes, but anybody with a Bachelors degree in any of the natural sciences could devise a simple experiment to determine its existence and chemical composition. This is absolutely not the same with those who have "faith" in an omnipotent "god-figure" - and insist that the rest of us accept Mr. God's evidence on faith alone, evidence to the contrary be damned.

In any event, religion should never factor into a debate about civic policies...unless one is referring to civic policies in Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Last edited by FLGator487; 03-27-2011 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
It seems many young heterosexuals forgo marriage. I'd be more concerned about children born out of wedlock to women who can't afford to care for them, than I would be about gay marriage.

Gay marriage wouldn't effect my marriage. I exchanged vows with my husband and no one else.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:08 PM

541 posts, read 984,869 times
Quote:
as long as they have to pay the same taxes i do,it's not going to,and well this will be a nutbuster for tv ratings,think about it,two gay fellas argueeing their differences on divorce court,this will be like watching the hangerover in drag,you can't buy that kind of entertainment

Old 03-27-2011, 02:19 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
As I said, call it whatever you'd like (life partner, union..etc) and let it enjoy the same benefits as marriage, but the tradition of marriage in the eyes of God is strictly between a man and a woman. Governments are a creation of man, marriage is not.
You obviously know nothing about the Biblical meaning of marriage. It was usually between an older man and a 9 or 10 year old girl (aka, pedophilia). That or polygamy.

"Traditional Marriage" as you call it - is a modern invention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies