Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,745,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I am "married". Change the meaning of the word "married", and what I "am" changes.
I honestly don't understand what you mean here. If Jack & Joe across town from you are able to legally wed, how does that change 'what you are'? You're still you; a heterosexual, married man, with children and a lovely wife. What changes about any of that?
Quote:
If you think my religion is affecting me, then I guess your lack of affects how you think?
Quote:
I honestly don't know what you believe. I don't know many Christians though, that think homosexuality is moral. Perhaps I'm making assumptions--but that seems to be what you're doing.
This Christian is one who believes someone's sexuality or sexual orientation are not 'chosen' and therefore, unless the person is promiscuous, there's nothing moral or immoral about it. I believe morality has more to do with someone's behavior than anything else. I simply believe, because of Christ's preaching to treat others as we wish to be treated and to love others as God loves us, if what a person is doing is not harming another, then it simply can't be 'immoral'.
Quote:
OK? What religion are we restricting by disallowing gay marriage?
I wouldn't say it's 'restricting' any religion. But it does restrict the rights of those who's religion doesn't agree with your beliefs about homosexuality. For instance, Universalists don't see anything wrong with homosexuality and, in fact, perform same sex marriages in their church. But by banning legal same sex marriage, you restrict their ability to perform a legal marriage. The same with Pagans.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,746,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Christians go by the Bible. The Bible is clear on homosexuality.
No, actually it doesn't. You failure to grasp your horrible understanding of it is troubling.

Quote:
So why do all the haters here continue to smear people who follow God's book?
Because people like you who haven't the foggiest clue about the creation of the Bible or what it even intended to mean 4000 years ago, continue to try and control other people's lives; people who strongly disagree with your interpretation and don't give up a crap about your beliefs.

Quote:
Are they just incapable of understanding?
Clearly you are.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:58 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,605,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Which doesn't make it any less discriminatory.
Sure it does.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrimination

Discrimination: treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

Nobody is saying you can't get married because you're gay.

Moderator cut: Discussing poster, not topic.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-30-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 01:58 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,162,102 times
Quote:
Nope. I said we should restrict people from marrying people of the opposite gender. That is not denying civil rights. Everyone can still get married--and everyone has the exact same rights.

The fact that men can't marry men is irrelevant. I can't marry another man either.
Can you please explain why, if you lived in a state where gay marriage is legal (and everyone has the exact same rights to marry someone of the same or opposite sex) that you wouldn't marry a man (assuming you're a man)?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Does it really matter? We get to vote however we want. That's what's great about this country...we get to vote...at least until some activist judge overrules the people.
You do not get to vote against other people's rights. Would you be perfectly fine if the majority in this country voted to ban your freedom to practice Christianity?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM

22,157 posts, read 19,397,646 times
Quote:
Nope. I said we should restrict people from marrying people of the opposite gender. That is not denying civil rights. Everyone can still get married--and everyone has the exact same rights.

The fact that men can't marry men is irrelevant. I can't marry another man either.
It IS denying Civil Rights. I can't marry another man neither, nor would I want to, but the rights of someone else who does want to shouldn't be taken away.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Can you please explain why, if you lived in a state where gay marriage is legal (and everyone has the exact same rights to marry someone of the same or opposite sex) that you wouldn't marry a man (assuming you're a man)?
Because I don't want to?

But individual desire (or lack thereof) is irrelevant under the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It IS denying Civil Rights. I can't marry another man neither, nor would I want to, but the rights of someone else who does want to shouldn't be taken away.

Can you comprehend what the actual definition of "discrimination" is? It means someone being denied the right to do something that someone else can do. That's not the case with marriage, as we all have the EXACT SAME access to it.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,030,547 times
Quote:
Sure it does.
No.

It doesn't.

If couple A. can get married, but couple B. cannot, despite both couples being able to legally sign a contract, then there's discrimination.

Cut and dry, there is no argument that anyone can EVER come up against it.

Because the stupid argument "Well they can marry a woman just like anyone else!" is just that: Stupid. Stupid, fallicious, and intellectually dishonest.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
irrelevant. Nobody is suggesting they should be. Nobody's Civil Rights are being denied. Everyone has the same access to marriage.
Did interracial couples have the same access to marriage 50 years ago? Would you have supported keeping marriage only between the same races, since afterall - if blacks can marry only blacks, no rights are being denied?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Did interracial couples have the same access to marriage 50 years ago? Would you have supported keeping marriage only between the same races, since afterall - if blacks can marry only blacks, no rights are being denied?
Nope. We've been over this ad nauseum. Skin color <> sexual choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.