Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:09 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Oh, come on now, does anyone feel remorse for that steak that they're eating? Death is a natural part of life. We don't kill because we have laws that we need to follow, as a civilized society, and because we value fully functioning adults.

Your problem is, you think, like the Muslem terrorists, that everyone should believe in YOUR personal God, that only the God that YOU worship is the correct one - and you have no second thoughts in shoving your opinions down other people's throats through legislation.

Tend to your own backyard and stay out of others. Your religion is an excuse to meddle into the lives of others and feel smug about it while doing so.

God or religion is a personal thing. For each of us. Don't impose yours on others. That ALWAYS backfires.
I really was not speaking of eating steaks in my post. Yes, death is a natural part of life, and should be kept 'natural' not intentional IMO. You also said we don't kill because we have laws that we need to follow as a civilized society...yes but people kill everyday in spite of laws. NO, I don't think like a Muslim terrorist, they have no value of life and kill the innocent thinking God will reward them. This thread is titled 'Murder of Unborn Baby' and speaks of the abortion issue, and I was giving my opinion on it, I thought I had that right here. You don't have to read my posts since you have different opinions. Do not assume things about me that are not true, I believe in Christian values like the majority of the U.S., because the last I read Christians are still the majority. I do not legislate anything by the way.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I think a lot (not all) pro abortionist try to inject religion into the argument as if no one supports the pro life movement for any reason other religous beliefs. Therefore, it makes for an easier argument that this becomes a seperation of church and state issue, not a murder/choice issue.

Here's a website started by and for atheist/agnostics who oppose abortion:

Atheist and Agnostic Pro-Life League Homepage

And there are religous people who are pro choice and religous organizations who make it their public statement that they are pro choice:

http://www.rcrc.org/pdf/We_affirm.pdf

So while I am a Christian, I am also anti-abortion, and not based on anything the Bible says or anything I've heard in church as I don't attend church very much. Its more of a matter that I feel life begins prior to birth and that the unborn are as helpless as an infant and deserve to be protected. Even though I feel strongly on this, I don't vote based on it as I feel at the most, R vs W might get overturned, but if it does it will only become a state decided issue and abortions would still be available. So why waste a vote on that issue if there are other issues I totally disagree with a candidates viewpoint.
Good post and I agree, even if I did not believe in the Bible or base my opinion of abortion on the Bible, I would still feel like you regarding unborn humans and that they deserve to be protected. Exception is I feel I should vote for candidate who is pro-life, a difficult choice at times. I think that the mother can do anything she wants as far as abortion though I don't agree with it, but I do not think that doctors should be allowed to legallly perform abortions in most cases....just my opinion.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:42 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times
Quote:

The anti-abortion movement is all a sham of thoughtless people whipped up into a frenzy like a mob of crazed cattle by some 'clergyperson' who is being promoted by those with an alterior political agenda. They just love the air time on the media and the bucks that come rolling in.
Are you kidding me? I will agree with you to some extent about the politicians who use the anti-abortion platform for votes, but to say that it is all a sham of thoughtless people whipped up into a frenzy is nuts, and I for one can't believe you think such a thing.
Do you see what abortion clinics do to the fetus? Have you seen the destruction that comes upon the mother after an abortion is over? Do you know why abortion clinics won't allow expectant mothers to see their fetus before its aborted? Because they more than likely will keep it.

To conclude, I believe we as US citizens have to come to an understanding in our lives, and settle the issue of pro-abortion, anti-abortion. Do we value life in the womb? There is absolute proof that life begins at conception, and not at the latter part of the stage. I for one as a follower of Christ have a heart for the poor, rich, unborn, etc.. and they are ALL equal in the eyes of God.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:46 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
How can someone who professes to be Christian speak for Muslims and what their beliefs are? Or were you specifying Muslim terrorists? In that case, are all the Chrsitian anti-abortion nutjobs who blow up clinics or use snipers to assassinate doctors not considered Christian terrorists? How about Tim McVeigh - was he also a Christian terrorist? Or do you dismiss McVeigh because he was raised Roman Catholic? And if it were not for including the Catholics in your "majority Christian" nation, there goes the majority.

You asking other posters to not read your posts if they don't match your opinions is about the most infantile comment I have read in this thread - the whole point is to share ideas and allow everyone to draw their own conclusions from what is there. As long as the blinders are up you will fail to see the forest from the trees. You should definitely have every right to post your opinion about whatever moves you, but you shouldn't expect to get far with a self-righteous and predetermined attitude.

I am surprised that you mentioned in an earlier post that we have nothing in common, and you determined that solely from the fact that we don't have the same opinion on this subject - I find that comment to be far too judgmental. How do you know that we don't have plenty in common? You might be surprised.

If you open up your mind just a little bit, then maybe you will see more in front of you than what appears to be just two categories: those who believe what you do, and everyone else.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
How can someone who professes to be Christian speak for Muslims and what their beliefs are? Or were you specifying Muslim terrorists? In that case, are all the Chrsitian anti-abortion nutjobs who blow up clinics or use snipers to assassinate doctors not considered Christian terrorists? How about Tim McVeigh - was he also a Christian terrorist? Or do you dismiss McVeigh because he was raised Roman Catholic? And if it were not for including the Catholics in your "majority Christian" nation, there goes the majority.

You asking other posters to not read your posts if they don't match your opinions is about the most infantile comment I have read in this thread - the whole point is to share ideas and allow everyone to draw their own conclusions from what is there. As long as the blinders are up you will fail to see the forest from the trees. You should definitely have every right to post your opinion about whatever moves you, but you shouldn't expect to get far with a self-righteous and predetermined attitude.

I am surprised that you mentioned in an earlier post that we have nothing in common, and you determined that solely from the fact that we don't have the same opinion on this subject - I find that comment to be far too judgmental. How do you know that we don't have plenty in common? You might be surprised.

If you open up your mind just a little bit, then maybe you will see more in front of you than what appears to be just two categories: those who believe what you do, and everyone else.
Donth8me, I think you were speaking to me. I was telling Goldengrain I do not think like a Muslim terrorist as he said in his post. I certainly was not trying to say my God or Christianity is the only religion in the world, was just giving my opinion. If a terrorist claims to be Christian that would not be following the New Testament to answer your question. I told goldengrain he did not have to read my posts since he made it very clear he did not want to hear what I said, and I guess I'm not the best writer to convey.

Exuse me, I meant that we did not have in common the 'one subject', and it actually did occur to me that we may have much in common in other subjects, wouldn't be surprised at all. I don't believe anyone should feel self righteous, I for sure don't, and it's human nature to sin or do wrong, the New Testament explains this as well, people in the Bible did much wrongs and some changed their ways. Well, I'm completely off the subject of the thread here.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:32 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Just to point out, someone else compared her thinking to that of a Muslim terrorist, so I think she was just responding to that.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
One thing they do not have that humans do have is spirituality.
I too disagree with this. Elephants mourn their dead and will for years after visit the remains of elephants they knew, fondling the bones gently and making sounds associated with sadness.

Dogs too have been known to mourn the loss of their loved ones, faithfully visiting graves or becoming so depressed they refuse to eat.

Chimpanzees and bonobos have very complex mourning rituals they follow which seem to mirror the same stages of grief that we have including brining a dead friend or relative's favorite food to the body, arranging it near them, and then placing leaves and branches over the body. It's rather eerie and very moving by all accounts.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
I too disagree with this. Elephants mourn their dead and will for years after visit the remains of elephants they knew, fondling the bones gently and making sounds associated with sadness.

Dogs too have been known to mourn the loss of their loved ones, faithfully visiting graves or becoming so depressed they refuse to eat.

Chimpanzees and bonobos have very complex mourning rituals they follow which seem to mirror the same stages of grief that we have including brining a dead friend or relative's favorite food to the body, arranging it near them, and then placing leaves and branches over the body. It's rather eerie and very moving by all accounts.
Interesting and I agree, I restated that animals may have spirituality but not proven yet is it...I do wonder if they have a knowing of a creator.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:11 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Interesting and I agree, I restated that animals may have spirituality but not proven yet is it...I do wonder if they have a knowing of a creator.
Perhaps some animals merely live in the LIGHT and have no need to manufacture a ficticious 'man in the sky', or perhaps they are secure enough not to require the written guidance of tribal people who existed centuries ago.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:14 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Perhaps some animals merely live in the LIGHT and have no need to manufacture a ficticious 'man in the sky', or perhaps they are secure enough not to require the written guidance of tribal people who existed centuries ago.
Faith is required to believe in God, as faith is required to believe in the big bang "theory". I think both groups have their sane and insane members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies