Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:58 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,219 times

Advertisements

Long story short: I took the FDNY exam a little over four years ago. I scored very much in range to be hired. One class went through when the list was established. The economy took a dive and hiring stopped for a bit. When the city decided the time was right to hire at least a couple more classes, an extreme radical federal "judge" ruled that our test was discriminatory simply due to "disparate impact". Neither the judge, nor the dept of justice, or the African American Fraternal organization (the latter two in conjunction brought the case against the city) could find one single question on the test that was deemed discriminatory. The simple fact that not enough blacks and latinos (no other races count according the suit; yes I'm serious) passed high enough to their liking, was enough for the list to be tossed. The ONLY way the city could hire off the list was if racial quotas were used the judge decided. The city refused, and has since refused.

Now mind you, the city has bent over backwards like you wouldn't believe in order to recruit absolutely nobody except these two racial groups. Application fee waivers were granted, reminder calls about the test, wake up calls, and door to door van rides on test day. That is pretty solid if you ask me.

So anyway, here I (and many others) am who have just reached or well passed the age of 29; the cut-off for when you can apply. Now unless we get the city to grant an age extension, which we are actually making some headway with, we will be SOL to apply for the new exam because of this insulting policy. Yes I said insulting and I mean it. And I can tell you that plenty of the black candidates who had their dreams shat on by this judge feel this way. Many of them are fighting for this age extension right along with me. These are dedicated and intelligent guys (and girl) who want nothing out of life aside from getting on the job just like anyone else has.

So that's basically it. I tried to break it down as well as I could without rambling. And I would have posted some links, but my phone is getting drained of the battery. I'll post some later.

Oh and to the latino fraternal organization's credit: The president of the org. has publicly stated that they want nothing to do with any lawsuits or racial quotas. The extent of anything he wants is more recruiting. Stand up guy IHMO.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
You poor baby.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:05 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,602,460 times
Try another field.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:08 PM

974 posts, read 1,586,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You poor baby.

What exactly did you not like about his post? I see that he posted it intelligently and specifically. He did not use racial epithets. And I agree with him. How is a test discriminatory? Everyone has access to the same study materials. Available, I wish you well in your endeavors.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:09 PM

39,838 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Government enforced racial discrimination at it's most extreme. Nothing like putting the futures of it's potential employees and the safety of the citizens at risk in the name of political correctness. This kind of discrimination has to stop some day.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
Leave it to the politically correct to screw up something so simple as hiring the best qualified.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Long story short: I took the FDNY exam a little over four years ago. I scored very much in range to be hired. One class went through when the list was established. The economy took a dive and hiring stopped for a bit. When the city decided the time was right to hire at least a couple more classes, an extreme radical federal "judge" ruled that our test was discriminatory simply due to "disparate impact". Neither the judge, nor the dept of justice, or the African American Fraternal organization (the latter two in conjunction brought the case against the city) could find one single question on the test that was deemed discriminatory. The simple fact that not enough blacks and latinos (no other races count according the suit; yes I'm serious) passed high enough to their liking, was enough for the list to be tossed. The ONLY way the city could hire off the list was if racial quotas were used the judge decided. The city refused, and has since refused.

Now mind you, the city has bent over backwards like you wouldn't believe in order to recruit absolutely nobody except these two racial groups. Application fee waivers were granted, reminder calls about the test, wake up calls, and door to door van rides on test day. That is pretty solid if you ask me.

So anyway, here I (and many others) am who have just reached or well passed the age of 29; the cut-off for when you can apply. Now unless we get the city to grant an age extension, which we are actually making some headway with, we will be SOL to apply for the new exam because of this insulting policy. Yes I said insulting and I mean it. And I can tell you that plenty of the black candidates who had their dreams shat on by this judge feel this way. Many of them are fighting for this age extension right along with me. These are dedicated and intelligent guys (and girl) who want nothing out of life aside from getting on the job just like anyone else has.

So that's basically it. I tried to break it down as well as I could without rambling. And I would have posted some links, but my phone is getting drained of the battery. I'll post some later.

Oh and to the latino fraternal organization's credit: The president of the org. has publicly stated that they want nothing to do with any lawsuits or racial quotas. The extent of anything he wants is more recruiting. Stand up guy IHMO.
Can you guys sue the city to grant age extensions? (not that you should have to)

Old 03-27-2011, 02:24 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post

IMO, it is one thing killing the USA.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,602,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Leave it to the politically correct to screw up something so simple as hiring the best qualified.
We do not know what the others scored (including the minorities). Obviously he did not make the first cut/list. He should have studied more and been on the first list. 2nd place is first loser.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:33 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,487 times
Candidates Who Aced the FDNY's Entrance Exam May be Victims of Race Discrimination in New York

New York City statistics show that approximately 91% of the FDNY is white. As reported by The Wall Street Journal, 38.5% of the applicants who took the 2007 exam, were minority candidates and 33% of the top 4,000 scorers were non-white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.