Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Are the "Baby Boomers" with all of our entitled "Me First " attitudes to blame for the impending economic doom( sky high taxes to pay for our luxury among other things) predicted by certain factions? Will our noble efforts of civil rights, tolerance, advances in medicine and science ect. be overshadowed by our tendency to be self centered, greedy, and entitled? How will we be judged ? Will our grandchildren resent us ? I want to hear from Baby Boomers and all other generations. This is an issue that won't go away..............We all need to begin a serious dialogue now. Your help is vital. It could spare much pain in the long run.
Spiritwalker ( no trademark cool, wink or smile on this one)
Unlike the WWII Generation of patriotic, selfless, courageous, and hard-working Americans, the Baby Boomers were the complete opposite. And I am specifically talking about the Hippie types who were calling soldiers "baby-killers" while the vast majority of GIs never did such a thing, it was all Jane Fonda propaganda. These Baby Boomers will certainly be hated for such despicable atrocities.

So I must make the folliwng asertion: The Baby Boomer generation has without any doubt screwed up America so bad, that if it wasn't for Ronald Reagan in 1980, the US would be begging Mexico for jobs (and probably food) now. The US was headed to collapse and a defeat in the Cold War because of some Baby Boomers.

Let's look at some of the bad things the Boomers have done to screw up America (the top 5):

1. Abortion. A liberal idea pushed by Boomers in the 1960s. I cannot remember the final tallies of dead babies, but the last time I looked was something like 17 million dead since the 1960s.

2. Prohibition of voluntary school prayer in schools. Now look at our kids smoking crack at age 10 and having kids at age 14. Great job pulling "horrible religion" out of schools and FORBIDING Bibles in schools! Our kids 'thank you' for that!

3. High taxes which almost bankrupted the US economy and caused major stagnation from the late 1960s - 1979.

4. Created a "drug culture" in America and allowed AIDS/HIV to become an epidemic during the Boomer's Hippie movement in the 1960s with free sex and out of control drug use, which was largely supported and accepted by the liberals in the 1960s.

5. Their push for Liberalism. The desire to completely destroy/re-make American cultutre as we know it and the desire to transform the USA into a Communist country like Russia or Cuba or China. Thanks to the Boomers, we now have a whole segment of society that despises the USA, blames the USA for everything in the world, who support and worship brutal dictators like Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, Hugo Chavez, etc.

It is a culture of people who are so egoistical, self-centered, God-less, and self-destructive.

The Baby Boomers have really messed up America. I have to agree with SpiritWalker on this one big time.

Last edited by Nirvana-Guy; 07-30-2007 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
One can't have a serious discussion about today's problems, when the premise is vague and juvenile.
Amen. Next, lets find something to blame on all of the women. Then the Jews. Then, many people's favorites, the black people. Blame is so easy even a caveman..............

Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,230 times
Default Space..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
It is far too late for any of that. We are currently living in an unsustainable world. Billions will have to die for us to achieve the BALANCE most people speak of. It is not possible for the Earth's ecosystem to be "balanced" with 6 billion members of a single 130lb omnivorous species roaming it's surface. It will not happen without mass death.

Expand our reach upwards. There are dead worlds like the Moon, asteroids, and possibly Mars which we can exploit without damaging the environment of other living creatures. We could move our heavy industry and energy production off-planet over the next few centuries and allow the Earth's ecosystem to recover. We could ship pollutants off-planet and bring in resources, opening the feedback loops on the ecosystem to allow Earth to support more Humans and more animals without competition for the limited resources. Just our local solar system is VAST and rife with untapped resources. Getting out of the Earth's gravity well is hard, but there are technologies in the development phase that would let us migrate at least our most environmentally damaging industry off-planet within our lifetime. Space MUST play a part in our future planning, including Environmental stewardship.

I'm not an environmentalist but I do ride public transportation and my bicycle to work and as often as I can otherwise. I rarely drive anywhere more than twice a week. However, I don't kid myself that:
1. Everyone can live like me.
or
2. It would do more than temporarily push back the day the Biosphere catastrophically collapses even if everyone did.
Much like farmers rotate their crops to rejuvenate and replenish the soil so might we have to rotate some of what we do here on earth so that we can refresh and survive....Sponger42 makes a great case for moving heavy industry and energy production off planet. While I may never see this in my lifetime ( I am a baby-boomer who may die naturally or be euthanized by the next generations) I do believe that steps albeit smaller than I would like are being taken. Off planet planning could possibly spare the death of millions on planet. If this is not done Nature has a way to achieve balance....Usually not pretty....We do have choices.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,190 times
Default Babyboomers screwed the USA up

We all know are economy is the way it is because of the baby boomers. Now the next generations are going to have to fix it....if it can be fixed. If we don't succed China and India will take over and be the next big power house. Don't belive me? Jot it down, and when it happens...insert foot in mouth.

The next election isn't going to solve any of these problems either. With the rise in fuel...oh yeah Johnny boy McCain...you want to drop the tax..well just go ahead, but these oil companies are still going to be making the money. Obama...you are an agent of change and want to find new fuel sources. Where are we going to get the money from? Oh and Hilary...you've always wanted power....you just rode on your husbands coat tails and stayed with him even when he was blatently cheating on you. You didn't care.......you just wanted power. Power and change aren't the same. You are no better than Hitler.

So you see our country is in a great deal of Sh**! We need to wake up and find solutions to turn our economy around.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post

So I must make the folliwng asertion: The Baby Boomer generation has without any doubt screwed up America so bad, that if it wasn't for Ronald Reagan in 1980, the US would be begging Mexico for jobs (and probably food) now. The US was headed to collapse and a defeat in the Cold War because of some Baby Boomers.
ironically reagan was the one who pushed free trade and bush senior sold out america to nafta, and most of our jobs went to mehico

Quote:
Let's look at some of the bad things the Boomers have done to screw up America (the top 5):

1. Abortion. A liberal idea pushed by Boomers in the 1960s. I cannot remember the final tallies of dead babies, but the last time I looked was something like 17 million dead since the 1960s.
"a liberal idea pushed by the boombers", the people who pushed abortion and the supreme court justices who approved it were not even baby boomers

Quote:
2. Prohibition of voluntary school prayer in schools. Now look at our kids smoking crack at age 10 and having kids at age 14. Great job pulling "horrible religion" out of schools and FORBIDING Bibles in schools! Our kids 'thank you' for that!
yes, its the liberals fault kids are having teen pregnancies and smoking crack, its all dem evil liberals fault!! jeez, you sound so silly

seperation of church and state, if they want to pray then go to a church or a catholic school

Quote:
3. High taxes which almost bankrupted the US economy and caused major stagnation from the late 1960s - 1979.
even though there were high taxes(which were primarily aimed at the rich because taxes for middle class havent changed much since those times) we still had one of the longest economic boombs in history, a huge redistribution of income, , the median salary for a middle age man was 12% higher in 1972-73 than it is today, poverty dropped from almost 50% before the new deal to 12% in the 70s, and also eisenhower raised taxes on the rich more THAN FDR, today taxes are the lowest for the rich they've ever been yet the economy is worse today than it was during times when tax rates were 90 to 70% on the top income bracket, during the 60s, taxes for the lowest bracket are actually LOWER than today, and there is no evidence as to what caused the stagflation of the late 70s, if you can find out, you got a nobel prize in economis waiting for you

Quote:
4. Created a "drug culture" in America and allowed AIDS/HIV to become an epidemic during the Boomer's Hippie movement in the 1960s with free sex and out of control drug use, which was largely supported and accepted by the liberals in the 1960s.
once again this post is ridiculous, the liberals promoted drugs, who are you kidding?

Quote:
5. Their push for Liberalism. The desire to completely destroy/re-make American cultutre as we know it and the desire to transform the USA into a Communist country like Russia or Cuba or China. Thanks to the Boomers, we now have a whole segment of society that despises the USA, blames the USA for everything in the world, who support and worship brutal dictators like Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, Hugo Chavez, etc.
what a load of bull****, yes all liberals hate america and dream of the glory days of stalin

Quote:
It is a culture of people who are so egoistical, self-centered, God-less, and self-destructive.

The Baby Boomers have really messed up America. I have to agree with SpiritWalker on this one big time.
if anything the reagan era generation are going to be far worse than the baby boombers,

Old 04-15-2008, 08:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
If you look at the dropout rate of recent people in high school ;I see big reduction of people in the middle class in coming generations.That will mean a widening gap between the haves and have nots.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:23 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
Well, then the politicians would have their way. It's always "the poor working class" and the "rich" people...the middle class is invisible.

Just as not all young people are starbuck-drinking, anti-war, pro-babykilling Obama supporters not all boomers are liberals. My parents, my in-laws and some of my aunts are good examples of people who thought that the hippies and the like were losers. However, I do tend to blame that generation (and even the greatest generation) for turning their backs on watching the government...which is their duty as citizens.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
OK, I've read enough. First, the generations are not clear cut as to certain years.
Second: the Boomers are Not all one person, we were individuals with individual life styles.

Third: WE are not responsible for the ills of this country, we did no more harm and no more good than any other generation.

Fourth: So you don't know 30 somethings. 40 somethings that overspend and think only of the moment and not the future?????? I do.

Fifth: Did we have more fun than subsequent or previous generations?
Y E S ! I think so ...I did! And my peers and I worked hard, made money, partied hard and had lotsa SEX!

Do I look down on the SOME of the younger generations? Yup. SOME think only of themselves and the moment and the last "Survivor" and their cell phone stuck up their ...ear. SOME don't have a clue about history , money, sex, relationships, life....but I don't lump them altogether because like MY generation there's all kinds.

So IF the younger generation is so all-fired smart they wouldn't make blanket statements about the Boomers....we can't help what Daddy and Mommy did the minute he got home from the war

Old 04-16-2008, 04:11 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times
Thumbs up Exactly

Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OK, I've read enough. First, the generations are not clear cut as to certain years.
Second: the Boomers are Not all one person, we were individuals with individual life styles.

Third: WE are not responsible for the ills of this country, we did no more harm and no more good than any other generation.

Fourth: So you don't know 30 somethings. 40 somethings that overspend and think only of the moment and not the future?????? I do.

Fifth: Did we have more fun than subsequent or previous generations?
Y E S ! I think so ...I did! And my peers and I worked hard, made money, partied hard and had lotsa SEX!

Do I look down on the SOME of the younger generations? Yup. SOME think only of themselves and the moment and the last "Survivor" and their cell phone stuck up their ...ear. SOME don't have a clue about history , money, sex, relationships, life....but I don't lump them altogether because like MY generation there's all kinds.

So IF the younger generation is so all-fired smart they wouldn't make blanket statements about the Boomers....we can't help what Daddy and Mommy did the minute he got home from the war

Old 04-16-2008, 04:20 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times
Talking My fellow boomers

Answering Spongers Post Quote "Gen X/Y will assume the reins in the next few decades while the boomers retire and become a massive burden on the social systems. One of the challenges that X/Y will face is to care for the horde of older people without hobbling the economy. "

Does everyone forget what the boomers paid in taxes all those years, be glad we were born.

We built the cities, the new Interstates etc with our tax dollars, how many bridges are being fixed nowdays how many have collasped?

Not all boomers are alike, you have freedoms now you would of never had.

Do people forget Vietnam, Ohio State, The Race Riots, X/Y has no clue of that generation and they don't care what we fought for, they are too busy on their cell phones at the mall or wherever.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies