Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:45 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times

Advertisements

The deprecation of Americans born between 1946 and 1964 is no more than a cultural sub-thread developed by the right-wing disinformation media who have set up The Boomers as another of their icons of liberalism to be attacked and discredited. It's amazing to me that even the small number of minds that has bought into this propaganda is as large as it is, but there you go.

In the 1960's, The Boomers protested the war and the draft. This was because they hated America. The Boomers thought it was okay to have sex, and they did that a lot. This was because they were selfish and lacked proper morals. The Boomers smoked a lot of marijuana. This is because they were criminals. So there you have it. The Boomers were a bunch of selfish, immoral, America-hating, criminals. Obviously, you can't believe anything they might say.

Why all the fuss? Well, in quite the contradiction of the old wives' tale that people tend to become more conservative with age, many of The Boomers -- now aged 44 to 62 -- have brought a lot of their liberalism along with them into their peak earning years. Indeed, the older generations now tend to be more liberal than the younger generations, and there are signs of their becoming more and more so the older they get. They now have numbers, money, and positions of power sufficient to make themselves a rather potent political force if they chose to organize themselves as one. This prospect must be defended against, and in any case, there must be a means to dismiss and discredit any of the liberal influences that these folks might seek to bring to bear in the coming years, especially now with the Neocons -- the reactionary wing of The Boomer generation -- having fallen on their collective patooties.

So take a look around. If you're a Boomer, it's not that hard to see that there is some work that needs to be done here. If you're not, just ask yourself who -- without regard to the year in which they were born -- handed you this lovely mess on a silver platter. Was it the Hippies or was it the Neocons? And in the important matter of where do we go from here, which do you think it would be wiser to listen to now?

Simple questions, really, and that's why the right-wing is afraid of how they might be answered. Afraid enough to invent the strawman of The Boomers to blame things on and with which to deflect attention from those who are really responsible. Probably the American people as a whole are smart enough not to be fooled by these folks again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,441,819 times
Default No not baby boomers, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Are the "Baby Boomers" with all of our entitled "Me First " attitudes to blame for the impending economic doom( sky high taxes to pay for our luxury among other things) predicted by certain factions? Will our noble efforts of civil rights, tolerance, advances in medicine and science ect. be overshadowed by our tendency to be self centered, greedy, and entitled? How will we be judged ? Will our grandchildren resent us ? I want to hear from Baby Boomers and all other generations. This is an issue that won't go away..............We all need to begin a serious dialogue now. Your help is vital. It could spare much pain in the long run.
Spiritwalker ( no trademark cool, wink or smile on this one)
Actually Generation X seem to be the "me me" population. It is this generation that was taught that "you" matter and your self-esteem is all that matters.

The baby boomer population (myself included) are hard-working (majority anyway). Matter of fact one of the big problems in work places now is the fact that college educated managers are hired and they are taught "people don't count, it's the bottomline of the dollar that counts." That attitude dooms the American worker because most of these young managers have no "common sense" whatsoever. I am not being insulting or nasty here, but just stating how I see it. Also, I have noticed that ALL ages anymore seem to lack common courtesy and come off with the "me" attitude.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,026,956 times
I just love how our society today seems to like to blame everyone else for anything that bugs them.

The baby boomers were not one homogeneous group. This is a ridiculous thread that should have rightly died in 2007. And yet, here I am posting on it. Guess I'm just as ridiculous.

Oh, and here's a smiley face. I believe that started in the early 70's?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:02 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,441,819 times
Default Solving problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I agree with what y'all have said about the various generations. Some interesting perspectives I haven't thought about. Every generation likes to dwell on what they did right, but people rarely discuss what they may have done wrong, or what new problems they've created.

I like to think that my generation will be the one to solve the problem of environmental unsustainability. Maybe that's too big of a task, but who knows.
IMO, no, your generation will not solve any problems. Problems will never be solved as long as we have the politicians that we do.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 AM

739 posts, read 831,340 times
Why is everybody always looking for someone to blame for everything? If you did what you should have done, you should be in good shape, whether financially, in your relationships, health wise, etc. If you didn't, it's noones fault but your own.

Jeez, I've never heard so much whining from adults(?) in my life!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 AM

915 posts, read 3,181,820 times
They completely destroyed social responsibilities and family with their emphasis on individualism. Hence we have some much social problems, kids shotting kids..

Old 04-16-2008, 10:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
Answering Spongers Post Quote "Gen X/Y will assume the reins in the next few decades while the boomers retire and become a massive burden on the social systems. One of the challenges that X/Y will face is to care for the horde of older people without hobbling the economy. "

Does everyone forget what the boomers paid in taxes all those years, be glad we were born.

We built the cities, the new Interstates etc with our tax dollars, how many bridges are being fixed nowdays how many have collasped?

Not all boomers are alike, you have freedoms now you would of never had.

Do people forget Vietnam, Ohio State, The Race Riots, X/Y has no clue of that generation and they don't care what we fought for, they are too busy on their cell phones at the mall or wherever.................
Yuppers!!!!

AND some of us Boomers fought for EQUAL PAY for the younger generation that has no knowledge of the discrimination against women that we faced.

Many of us broke the barriers into "male only" jobs and it wasn't easy...but it is for women now because WE did it!

We helped get women the right to work without having to be sexually harrassed....does the younger generation think the laws against this were ALWAYS there? Are they even aware we needed laws?

What's with this "blame the boomers" stuff!????

What? The righties are tired of using "gays" as their hate target and need something new???

Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
The last thing the right-wing seems to want is for everyone to be in there pulling together. Gotta have people to blame, gotta have people to punish, gotta have people to be able look down on. That just seems to be how they go...

Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,982,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The last thing the right-wing seems to want is for everyone to be in there pulling together. Gotta have people to blame, gotta have people to punish, gotta have people to be able look down on. That just seems to be how they go...
yes from as far back as you can go!!!!!!!!!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable man adapts the world to himself, therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man"
"G.B. Shaw"

Old 04-16-2008, 10:47 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Maybe its just me but I don't blame the boomers, I blame everyone who "demands" entitlements which is not limited to the boomers. The most serious offenders are those who think its "okay" to take someone else's money for their own private usage. If I were to give you money, I expect either a DIRECT product or DIRECT service in return, not some imaginary we support you by indirectly buying bread that makes the many levels of bread management wealthy who in return invests into corporations that eventually once in a blue moon uses your services crap ideology. That way you get paid bigger bucks because I bought bread and work, so you should pay higher taxes while I pay no taxes and use your tax money for my benefit and you get the satisfaction that I used up your money. I don't like entitlements...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies