Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,653,432 times

Advertisements

I blame boomers for one thing --- the wide spread use of inflammatory attack as opposed to debate or discussion. You see it on c-d, hell you can see in on this very thread! When confronted with facts boomers do not want to acknowledge they immediatly fall back on personal insult...something they developed back in the 60s/70s with the old baby killer mantra. It is a spoiled brat approach, and has done nothing but continue to divide our country. How can there be middle ground when everyone who doesn't think the way you do is a 'rethug/neonazi/fascist'?
Also, it can't be denied that the baby boomer generation is one of excess pure and simple.....too much sex, too much drugs, too much narcisism. Ayers is a perfect example of this -- rich white boy turned 'scary revolutionary' until he got caught then back to rich white boy hiding behind daddys money and connections.
But hey! You showed your parents, right? You guys didn't need marriages! And whats a little weed or coke, right? Face it, socially you people f'ed up, and gen x and y has been given the task of rebuilding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:23 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,026,500 times
You know...the Baby Boomer "generation" technically covers 20 years...and as a Baby Boomer who was born in 1946 instead of 1966, I can tell you that the two decades were and are vastly different. Please do not generalize. With the advent of global stressors and the way science and technology has catapulted over the past 20 years, I don't think the peoples of any other generation could have filled the Baby Boomer slot with any more success. Look at the later day Boomers, in their 30's and early 40's for much of the turmoil...not us older folks, who have been working steadilly for 40 years now to try and keep everything running so the younger folks could enjoy their cell-phones and other planet-destroying gizmos.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,260 times
To blame the "boomers" is insane as the average person has been relegated to a mindless consumer by the elite. In my humble opinion the elite has seen this coming for decades and is now out to deflate the American Dream where each successive generation was "destined" to do better than the previous generation. They new they would betray the working class years ago and now that the first baby boomers turned 65 on 01/01 2011 the bitter medicine is being prepared. The only real solution is a bailout of the working class and the destruction of the elite. It is either us or them.

And consider what they aren't talking about. Like the looting of Social Security for the Military Industrial State. I believe that wealth creation that benefits all should be rewarded but that is not what has occured over the last 50 years. Instead we have been placed on the treadmill of debt slavery by the elite as they liquidate all of our assets. Just like in 1929.

And the reason for the 100 year business cycle? They have to allow general amnesia for the last "screwing" before repeating the process.

Peaceful Evolution NOW!

Old 01-02-2011, 03:29 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,756,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
Answering Spongers Post Quote "Gen X/Y will assume the reins in the next few decades while the boomers retire and become a massive burden on the social systems. One of the challenges that X/Y will face is to care for the horde of older people without hobbling the economy. "

Does everyone forget what the boomers paid in taxes all those years, be glad we were born.

We built the cities, the new Interstates etc with our tax dollars, how many bridges are being fixed nowdays how many have collasped?

Not all boomers are alike, you have freedoms now you would of never had.
Actually, by the time boomers entered the work force, the tax rates was slashed in half, so the boomers pretty much reaped the last of whatever benefits came from 70%-90% tax rates (for half the price).

I'm thinking CETA, modern/well maintained (for the time) infrastructure, the top inexpensive schools in the world, job security (the opportunity to enter the workforce with aboslutely no experience because they didn't have to compete with slaves in the third world), free, fair and balanced media (not regulated by the free market), social security/medicare, etc.

Last edited by 313Weather; 01-02-2011 at 03:45 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 03:43 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,756,746 times
And I will admit it's somewhat funny to see how everyone's wihining about how liberal the baby boomers were yet they make up majority of the Tea Party/far right Libertarian Party.

Everything liberal that happened in the 1960s was because of depression era children (who virtually praised FDR and the New Deal), not because of the baby boomers were were largely still in school or flipping burger at their neighborhood diners.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:35 PM

790 posts, read 1,734,573 times
Hmm. My main criticism of the baby boomers is the lack of children they've had.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,042,913 times
Think I'm a boomer, born in 52. self employed carpenter,work still when I can find work. old house,small mortgage ,big garden,hunter,fix my own junk. sorry if the year of my birth offends some. I am a good example to my children. It's every man for himself out there nobody owes you anything unless you choose the gov welfare route and admit you are a looser and willing to stay that way for life. reading the help wanted adds every morning is not surviving,it is hoping for something that does not exist Now go out there and do something and quit whinning and blaming others

Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,073,085 times
How many of you live in a Boomer's house?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,591,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Are the "Baby Boomers" with all of our entitled "Me First " attitudes to blame for the impending economic doom( sky high taxes to pay for our luxury among other things) predicted by certain factions? Will our noble efforts of civil rights, tolerance, advances in medicine and science ect. be overshadowed by our tendency to be self centered, greedy, and entitled? How will we be judged ? Will our grandchildren resent us ? I want to hear from Baby Boomers and all other generations. This is an issue that won't go away..............We all need to begin a serious dialogue now. Your help is vital. It could spare much pain in the long run.
Spiritwalker ( no trademark cool, wink or smile on this one)
Not gonna read 7 pages, but in a word: Yes. Everything the boomers have touched has turned to crap. I get on my generation (X) for creating a society of "never take personal responsibility" all the time, but we've at least done some good for the world (we basically created the technological golden age we're presently in). The boomers? Have done nothing but waste and burn and waste some more. And now we're going to have to spend the next 25 years paying for them in old age.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,042,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Not gonna read 7 pages, but in a word: Yes. Everything the boomers have touched has turned to crap. I get on my generation (X) for creating a society of "never take personal responsibility" all the time, but we've at least done some good for the world (we basically created the technological golden age we're presently in). The boomers? Have done nothing but waste and burn and waste some more. And now we're going to have to spend the next 25 years paying for them in old age.
nah dont worry about supporting me.I will work till I drop. see boy we are all in this together. sorry about your technological golden age failure but dont blame me.I got to fight mexicans to get my work so far so good for now. You gotta go to India or china to find your jobs. the greedy corporations and our own gov are to blame not the boomers,or we shall hang separately the saying goes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies