Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 AM

34 posts, read 187,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Why do you feel such a strong need to strip them of this?
It's not a strong need, it is a question of why? It is doing people of Latin American ancestry harm overall in the USA, even though other groups don't use it since Mexicans are such a large group. Instead of integrating it encourages segregation. I hate when people refer to me as Brown when I tell them I am Latin American although I am tan/olive skinned, mostly European ancestry with some African and Indigenous/Asian American ancestry. More than anything I am AMERICAN, born, raised. AMERICAN.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANGUY231123 View Post
It's not a strong need, it is a question of why? It is doing Latin Americans harm overall in the USA, even though other groups don't use it since Mexicans are such a large group. Instead of integrating it encourages segregation.
But why do YOU care? Are you brown?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
But why do YOU care? Are you brown?
No that is the point LOL.

I am not Brown. Most of the time I am assumed Southern European ancestry (unless I am in some red neck or small town area in the USA where everyone is Nordic ancestry). However when I tell someone my parents were born in Latin America I am automatically now considered Brown. He's Brown, or your "Brown People". Different/foreign.

I am American. AMERICAN. Genetically/Racially mostly White with some Black and maybe Asian (indigenous) ancestry. I am not Brown, Brown is not a race nor the color of my skin, I am tan/olive skinned. Call me mixed, fine; call me American, wonderful, but do not call me Brown.

It pisses me off. I am of mixed race decent, dominantly White as three of my grandparents are from Europe, and the other one is mixed. I am not some race called Hispanic or Latino or Brown. I have never been to Latin America (yet, though I have been to Europe and do not have this problem there), nor do I even speak Spanish (though I wish I did).

I just don't get the whole Brown Pride thing. Why not just American if you are born in the USA? Recognize your ancestry but remember where you were born and raised, and your ethnicity/nationality is not a race. The Hispanic/Latino and Brown Pride state of mind seems to be damaging.

However the rant is about Brown Pride, again where did it come from (I assume southwest Mexicans) and why is it so popular across the USA? Why do so many Mexican Americans think Brown/Hispanic/Latino is a race???

Old 03-28-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
No that is the point LOL.

I am not Brown. Most of the time I am assumed Southern European ancestry (unless I am in some red neck or small town area in the USA). However when I tell someone my parents are Latin America I am automatically now considered Brown. He's Brown, or your "Brown People". Different/foreign.

I am American. AMERICAN. Genetically/Racially mostly White with some Black and maybe Asian (indigenous) ancestry. I am not Brown, Brown is not a race nor the color of my skin, I am tan/olive skinned.

It pisses me off. I am of mixed race decent, dominantly White as three of my grandparents are from Europe, and the other one is mixed. I am not some race called Hispanic or Latino or Brown. I have never been to Latin America (yet, though I have been to Europe and do not have this problem there), nor do I even speak Spanish (though I wish I did).

I just don't get the whole Brown Pride thing. Why not just American if you are born in the USA? Recognize your ancestry but remember where you were born and raised, and your ethnicity/nationality is not a race.
If Brown is not a race, then neither is White, Black, etc. Sounds to me like you are ashamed of your Latin heritage and only want to be called White. In AMERICA, it's different. We are a melting pot of diverse cultures and ethnicities. That is, in essence, what makes us AMERICAN. Why else would so many people still want to be identified as Irish-American, German-American, Asian-American, African-American, Native-American. It's ok to take pride in both your ancestry and your American citizenship. You can't forget your roots. It makes you who you are. And, you can't strip that identity from someone else either. What gives you that right exactly? You are not the race-police and bestower of ethnic identity cards.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
If Brown is not a race, then neither is White, Black, etc. Sounds to me like you are ashamed of your Latin heritage and only want to be called White. In AMERICA, it's different. We are a melting pot of diverse cultures and ethnicities. That is, in essence, what makes us AMERICAN. Why else would so many people still want to be identified as Irish-American, German-American, Asian-American, African-American, Native-American. It's ok to take pride in both your ancestry and your American citizenship. You can't forget your roots. It makes you who you are. And, you can't strip that identity from someone else either. What gives you that right exactly? You are not the race-police and bestower of ethnic identity cards.
I am not ashamed of my Latin American ancestry. I always tell people that my parents are from Latin America if they ask.

My problem is the assumption that it is some sort of race when it's not. I am also proud of my roots in Europe, Africa, and Asia. I am proud to be a person of worldly roots. However I am AMERICAN. And I am not Brown. I may be Latin American ancestry but I was born and raised in America not Latin America.

Why do Mexicans in particular try so hard to self segregate themselves in the United States? Particularly urban, southwestern types from my experience. Why are they so misinformed? Since this is where the bulk of Latin Americans live, and the bulk are Mexican too (Majority) it effects all Latin Americans in the USA.

There are even now biological studies in the USA involving comparing Hispanics/Latinos to Blacks/Whites/Asians because of this. Which I do not take seriously because Hispanic/Latino is NOT A RACE.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I am not ashamed of my Latin American ancestry. I always tell people that my parents are from Latin America if they ask.

My problem is the assumption that it is some sort of race when it's not. I am also proud of my roots in Europe, Africa, and Asia. I am proud to be a person of worldly roots. However I am AMERICAN. And I am not Brown.

Why do Mexicans in particular try so hard to self segregate themselves in the United States. Particularly urban, southwestern types. Why are they so misinformed. Since this is where the bulk of Latin Americans live, and the bulk are Mexican too it effects all Latin Americans in the USA.
Probably b/c they aren't getting any respect.

"Sure- we'll give you a job but you gotta be a gardener, bricklayer, painter, etc. Sure- you can come and live here, but not in OUR neighborhoods... and you damn well better be a LEGAL citizen because we all know all Mexicans (Hispanics) are waiting like ravenous wolves at the border."

Good grief! After everything these people have suffered to get here and make a better life for themselves and their families, why can't you just let them call themselves "brown"?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 AM

Also- Do you have problem with Native Americans calling themselves brown? Do you have a problem with Middle Easterners calling themselves brown? How about Alaskans or Asians or Eastern Indians?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
It depends on the Latin American country too. In Mexico, a large portion of the people are mestizo(inc. some with African ancestry). Hence, the "Brown pride" moniker.

In say, Argentina, the population is largely Spanish and Italian, with some mestizos and fewer natives and people of African descent. So, it varies.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Probably b/c they aren't getting any respect.

"Sure- we'll give you a job but you gotta be a gardener, bricklayer, painter, etc. Sure- you can come and live here, but not in OUR neighborhoods... and you damn well better be a LEGAL citizen because we all know all Mexicans (Hispanics) are waiting like ravenous wolves at the border."

Good grief! After everything these people have suffered to get here and make a better life for themselves and their families, why can't you just let them call themselves "brown"?
Not all Latinos/Hispanics come here poor waiting to mow a lawn or paint a house...

Most Latinos from Argentina, Puerto Rico, Chile, Brazil, Uraguay, come over as professionals with college degrees or for schooling. Cubans are known to be a successful Latin American group in the USA for example.

These nationalities fall under the traditional Black or White categories and do not boast Brown Pride,

Quote:
Also- Do you have problem with Native Americans calling themselves brown? Do you have a problem with Middle Easterners calling themselves brown? How about Alaskans or Asians or Eastern Indians?
I don't know any Native Americans (I know people who claim to have some ancestry but fall under White or Black), a true A.I. would be Asian racially. Middle Easterners in the area I live typically fall under White and never call themselves Brown (Most are mixed race people). East Indians (India, Paki, Bangladeshi) are just that and never call themselves Brown people in my experience, they are racially mixed but avoid making a call on race. Do not know any native Alaskans (which would be racial Asian).

Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,190,434 times
You are missing the bigger picture. Race is subjective and is in the eye of the beholder. In the US, Mexican is a racialize geographic identity the same way Asian and Native American are too. Why are Palenstians and Egyptians considered white on the census and not Asian or African American? Why arent Asian Indians considered white on the census nor socially, yet are placed in the same racial group as Chinese when they look nothing alike? Why aren't Native Americans considered Asian? You see its just a big ball of confusion. I think the census is trying to keep a white majority(the status quo) and you are playing right into the government's hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.