Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 02:12 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
PHILADELPHIA — Tatyana Gray bolted from her house and headed toward her elementary school. But when she reached the corner store where she usually gets her morning snack of chips or a sweet drink, she encountered a protective phalanx of parents with bright-colored safety vests and walkie-talkies.

The scourge the parents were combating was neither the drugs nor the violence that plagues this North Philadelphia neighborhood. It was bad eating habits.

“Candy!” said one of the parents, McKinley Harris, peering into a small bag one child carried out of the store. “That’s not food.”

The parents standing guard outside the Oxford Food Shop are foot soldiers in a national battle over the diets of children that has taken on new fervor.
Philadelphia School Battles Students’ Bad Eating Habits, on Campus and Off | TheLedger.com

The Principle of William D. Kelley School, a K-8 campus in Philadelphia, has enlisted the help of a local citizens watch group to combat the "crisis" of obese children. The group pickets corner grocery stores trying to prevent children from entering in the morning and buying "unhealthy" foods. They also visit store owners and threaten boycotts if they don't quit selling stuff they don't like to kids.

Are we really willing to go this far? If so, where do we stop? How much is enough? Should the schools and teachers, all funded by taxpayers, be involved in organizing pressure groups in the name of "health?" Where do the responsibilities and rights of parents end and government's begin? Does it "take a village" to raise YOUR kids?

And, don't assume this is a partisan issue. The GOP is as fully behind this kind of stuff as are Democrats.
Why is everything a NAZI to you?
I was at a concentration camp today.
You know what?
Nothing that's happening in the US is done by NAZIs.
Please refrain from using this term.
Your use of this word minimizes the deaths all people suffered at the hands of the real Nazis.
This is shameful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 02:21 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You know what?
Your use of this word minimizes the deaths all people suffered at the hands of the real Nazis.
This is shameful.
This is America, get over it.......

Last edited by plwhit; 03-29-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 02:49 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No, they are people that live in the community trying to do the right thing by the kids that live in that community. It's the same type of community that is always maligned for being lazy, poor, welfare and food stamp loving.

The "brownshirts" are parents and grandparents that are trying to change the course of the downslide in these kids' lives. They are people in the neighborhood trying to do a positive thing for their kids. They are the same people who chase the crack dealers from the corner.

They are the type of community mostly despised by the average American. Yet when they do something to affect positive change, take responsibility, if you will, they're called "Nazi Stormtroopers" and "Brownshirts".

Well, which would you rather? More and more of your tax money going into the neighborhood because it's turning out a bunch of obese, disabled adults who can't work, or somebody trying to do something about it?
Give me a break. If any of those nuts were to try to muscle into my kids bag, they'd be picking up their teeth off of the pavement.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
You know what?
This is shameful.
Meanwhile you approve of calling Scott Walker a Nazi and Hitler.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It really blows my mind that providing health education and guidance would be perceived as some major imposition. What is wrong with the community stepping up to address an epidemic?

For what it's worth, this is a city wide campaign, so what these people are doing is merely reinforcing something that is obviously necessary, and has been ongoing. Also, let's not forget African-Americans are at greater risk for cardiovascular disease than any other population group.

Phila.Gov | Public Health[/list]
It's called minding your own damn business. They have no right whatsoever intruding in on private property (their bags). If they want to do some community outreach stuff, fine, but this is plain intrusion and iron fisted pratices. One of these days these loons are going to run up the backs of the wrong people and they are going to eat a bullet or two.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Give me a break. If any of those nuts were to try to muscle into my kids bag, they'd be picking up their teeth off of the pavement.
Do your kids need someone to muscle into their bags? My guess is your kids are supervised and fed a balanced diet. Am I correct? Therefore your kids are not at high risk as the kids mentioned in the OP are. So as a nation should we not be concerned about the health and wellbeing of the kids? Did you read about Philly Health Department's health promotion programs?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
You know what?
This is shameful.

Never forget that the horrors of the Final Solution didn't spring full-born from nothing.

The movement started out as a bunch of screwballs in Munich, then progressed through political activism, self-righteous "patriotism" focused against something (ie: Bolsheviks and Jews), direct action against people who were "different," intrusive laws and regulations demanding and enforcing conformity and THEN reached it's full evil potential. And, all along the way, they were supported by well-meaning people who didn't see the path they were being led down.

Never, EVER think it can't happen here. The target people may be different, but the outcome would be the same.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Do your kids need someone to muscle into their bags? My guess is your kids are supervised and fed a balanced diet. Am I correct? Therefore your kids are not at high risk as the kids mentioned in the OP are. So as a nation should we not be concerned about the health and wellbeing of the kids? Did you read about Philly Health Department's health promotion programs?
Another view from someone who knows what's best for all of us...

You want to be concerned with your kids diets? Have at it, do what you want.

Since this is America and not a third world country with a dictator keep your nose out of everyone else's business.....

Stick your fingers into my kids bag and I promise you'll be missing them.... Approach my kids on a public sidewalk and make a move close to them and you'll wind up on the sidewalk with a broken jaw....

Just who the hell do you people think you are?

MY KIDS, MY RULES --- YOUR KIDS, YOUR RULES...

Old 03-29-2011, 05:11 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Another view from someone who knows what's best for all of us...

You want to be concerned with your kids diets? Have at it, do what you want.

Since this is America and not a third world country with a dictator keep your nose out of everyone else's business.....

Stick your fingers into my kids bag and I promise you'll be missing them.... Approach my kids on a public sidewalk and make a move close to them and you'll wind up on the sidewalk with a broken jaw....

Just who the hell do you people think you are?

MY KIDS, MY RULES --- YOUR KIDS, YOUR RULES...
Phew went the point over your head. This is not about your children, nor my children. This is not about children whose parents are looking out for their health. These are children who are going to fall through the cracks. I'm glad that you feel fine just standing back and letting them fall.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Phew went the point over your head. This is not about your children, nor my children. This is not about children whose parents are looking out for their health. These are children who are going to fall through the cracks. I'm glad that you feel fine just standing back and letting them fall.
OP went right over your head Zchick......

Read the OP again, (or read it for the first time), this thread is NOT about the kids who fall through the cracks...

Want to talk about them? Create your own thread on that topic.....

BTW, What is Phew? a smelly fart?

Last edited by plwhit; 03-29-2011 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies