Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

When George Soros dedicates his "charitable" organization Media Matters to attacking Fox News at large and even dig into the personal and financial activities of its employees, it would show that most of the media is very liberal or they too would have fallen into the Soros target sights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 02:39 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Reporters are paid pretty poorly, especially starting out and especially these days as lower revenues and lower journalism standards mean budget cuts. To paraphrase Chuck Klosterman, most reporters are liberal because any writer talented enough to work for a major media outlet who isn't driven by a bit of "save-the-world" zeal goes to work in advertising, instead.

However, major news outlets have pretty stringent objectivity policies and employ ombudsmen to try to emphasize fairness and accuracy. Therefore, even if individual reporters are liberal, there are efforts made to keep the actual reporting from being overly liberal. And there's not an awful lot of quantitative data out there to suggest that media coverage IS all that liberal.

But even some bias slips into the proper news coverage, that's not really the root of the issue...

However, most 24-hour news channels, even if they have these things in place for their news coverage, know that their real ratings are driven by opinion. And editorial opinion programs, whether from Beck or Maddow, don't have any of these standards. They wouldn't be able to function if that did.

But that's not the news. Not most of it. Most of it is opinion, innuendo, implication, and other muddy babble. Complete objectivity isn't possible, but most of the traditional media outlets at least attempt it. That's all going away, though.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:43 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've been trying to figure out for a while
"How in the h.... is the media liberal???" (NBC, CBS, ABC)

- They are controlled by corporations (Liberal = anti-corporation)
- They talked about the Tea Party for months as if it was the biggest thing in the US in the last 100 years
- Everytime they talk about the President they say something like "Let's see if he knows how to handle this?"
- Every morning they interview a republican senator as if they are a neutral political player.

Now, can somebody seriously tell me how the media is liberal?
It is a matter of perspective. When one is standing to the far left, everything appears conservative in comparison.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:43 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,275 times
Quote:

- They talked about the Tea Party for months as if it was the biggest thing in the US in the last 100 years
- Everytime they talk about the President they say something like "Let's see if he knows how to handle this?"
- Every morning they interview a republican senator as if they are a neutral political player.

When somebody starts with the word "seriously", you know they aren't. If there were, it would be self-evident and not need to be stated.

Most Americans aren't as gullible as you obviously think they are.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is a matter of perspective. When one is standing to the far left, everything appears conservative in comparison.
Granted. The converse argument applies, of course, for those standing to the far right.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:49 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
Dopo,

Go to your local Library, or even Half Price Books.....

Look for the books 'BIAS' and 'Arrogance' by Bernard Goldberg.

Read them.

A lot of answers in those two books.

He's much nicer on camera and tells it like it is in the books.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:53 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:

Point #1, liberals are against OTHER PEOPLE being rich.

Point #2, they only showed the Tea Party in a negative light.

Point #3, never heard this.

Point #4, "as if" are the key words.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:19 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,122 times
Mainstream media isn't that liberal in this country but most conservatives are much farther to the right than most liberals are to the left. There's entire regions of this country that consists of folks that don't except homosexuality, abortions, separation of church and state or many other hot topic social issues. Basically for every annoying hippy activist there’s 3 or 4 bible thumping morons. If there was actually a truly liberal cable news station the belt would go bananas.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:23 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times
Quote:

I'm the only poster in this forum who is neither wildly liberal or crazily conservative. Consequently, I am the guy you should listen to. Here's is what I see... Most major television/cable networks are to some level liberal. MSNBC seems to be the most liberal, although they did get rid of what's-his-name (I don't remember his name because like all political talking heads, I never listened to him). CNN is moderately liberal. On the other hand, Fox is clearly conservative. It stands pretty much alone in this respect as far as TV networks and this allows them to get virtually all the conservative TV audience. The liberal networks divide up the liberal viewers. So when it comes to news, Fox generally wins the ratings. But put all the more liberal networks together and it kind of paints a different picture as far as overall viewership.

On the other hand, radio is generally conservative. Limbaugh and O'Reilly and several others who are conservative pretty much have the radio-talk market cornered. So radio is conservative dominate. I don't foresee a liberal challenger.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
There's a Pew study on this, I believe 60% identified themselves as liberal and only 10% as conservative. Don't quote me on that but the numbers were decidedly the opposite of the general public, no matter how objective they try and be bias is going to creep in, it's human nature.

That bias however slight it may be can have some very big consequences, granted this media source is surely slanted towards the right but that doesn't change the analysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKq4388GbxM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies