Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:38 PM

68,354 posts, read 54,556,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
I feel we have had enough of the "Yeah but I support the troops though" crap. Those that would have us dead ( read Al Queda and their ilk) gain encouragement and strength from our tap dancing.. Support the troops... support their mission. Learn from mistakes made ( yes there are mistakes being made) and do everything to prevent making the same mistakes. Please don't let our troops in the field down!!!!!
Spiritwalker

If anybody let our troops in the field down it was their Commander in Chief who dallied so long in admitting they needed a new strategy and when he finally admitted one was needed proceeded to go on vacation. Maybe the GOE should have gathered in Crawford and protested the lack of leadership at that time.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:39 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't see where calling someone 'anti-American' simply because their views are different than yours is anything to be proud of.

I guess they're just trying to follow in the footsteps of misleaders who believe the Constituion is merely suggestive.
Quite right Burdell ! It's funny how patriotism is used to try and shut up ("stop") people who have other opinions . Anti-American is a term brandished by the right every time they don't approve of something. Such an easy cop-out and so sad and deluded.

I thought being American was to relish and take great pride in Freedom of speech and expression and yet those people who claim to love their country so much, always want to muzzle and cage non like-minded individuals. Slight hypocrisy there isn't there ? It sounds just like fascist , communist and neo nazi fanatics who can't accept that anyone apart from them should have a voice and the right to peaceful process.
Repression is always their way and patriotism is always cited to inflame nationalistic pride from people who should just be paying a bit more attention to real issues, from real news channels and real newspapers . Not Hysteria-whipping, scare mongering , hateful, repressive groups. These people claim to love freedom and yet they are basically advocating a dictatorship. Once again I am baffled !

Old 07-27-2007, 12:41 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,337,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
I wanted to attend the one in Charlotte this month, but was unable to go. From what I hear she didn’t show up. Cindy Sheehan “was” a puppet of the left and has been discarded like a used “fill in the blank”.

Here's the piece about her crying about the police. Larry Bailey, the chairman of Gathering of Eagles is a friend of mine. He watched as Cindy sadly passed by in her car.
Cindy Sheehan criticizes Charlotte police for supporting Freedom of Speech.
Cindy Sheehan criticizes Charlotte police for supporting Freedom of Speech

Old 07-27-2007, 12:45 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,337,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Simply stated I support the men and women in uniform serving around the globe. Those troops who are in harms way will forever have my support. Their mission will have my support. Nothing is more disheartening than to feel alone and isolated. I was in Viet Nam and felt the full effects of a lack of support for us and our mission. History has shown that we did not prosecute that conflict as efficiently as we might have. Nonetheless, it is sinful how we were treated and most horrendous for the longest time ignored. Only those who have served would truly understand what Gathering of Eagles represents. If Cindy Sheehan can "Raise Consciousness" for her cause then so can Gathering of Eagles for theirs.

What I find most disturbing is the constant reference to someones intelligence or lack of by those opposed to Organizations such as Gathering of Eagles. The same people who would point out a misspelling in a photograph (THE TRUE MORONS) would not in a million years criticize a Black Man for butchering a sentence or destroying the english language( Ebonics). Quite frankly people such as these are cowards.

I feel we have had enough of the "Yeah but I support the troops though" crap. Those that would have us dead ( read Al Queda and their ilk) gain encouragement and strength from our tap dancing.. Support the troops... support their mission. Learn from mistakes made ( yes there are mistakes being made) and do everything to prevent making the same mistakes. Please don't let our troops in the field down!!!!!
Spiritwalker
Well said!!
Jack

Old 07-27-2007, 12:50 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,751,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If anybody let our troops in the field down it was their Commander in Chief who dallied so long in admitting they needed a new strategy and when he finally admitted one was needed proceeded to go on vacation. Maybe the GOE should have gathered in Crawford and protested the lack of leadership at that time.
This is the same crap that happened during the Vietnam war.
Apparently we learned nothing except a little change in wording.
During the Vietnam War there was no support for the war or warriors.
Now they say “I support the troops but not the war”.
Either way political pandering is ending any chance of victory.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,608,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Quite right Burdell ! It's funny how patriotism is used to try and shut up ("stop") people who have other opinions . Anti-American is a term brandished by the right every time they don't approve of something. Such an easy cop-out and so sad and deluded.

I thought being American was to relish and take great pride in Freedom of speech and expression and yet those people who claim to love their country so much, always want to muzzle and cage non like-minded individuals. Slight hypocrisy there isn't there ? It sounds just like fascist , communist and neo nazi fanatics who can't accept that anyone apart from them should have a voice and the right to peaceful process.
Repression is always their way and patriotism is always cited to inflame nationalistic pride from people who should just be paying a bit more attention to real issues, from real news channels and real newspapers . Not Hysteria-whipping, scare mongering , hateful, repressive groups. These people claim to love freedom and yet they are basically advocating a dictatorship. Once again I am baffled !
"It sounds just like fascist , communist and neo nazi fanatics who can't accept that anyone apart from them should have a voice and the right to peaceful process. "

[fascist, communist and neo nazi] are "terms brandished by the [left] every time they don't approve of something. Such an easy cop-out and so sad and deluded."

Old 07-27-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
This is the same crap that happened during the Vietnam war.
Apparently we learned nothing except a little change in wording.
During the Vietnam War there was no support for the war or warriors.
Now they say “I support the troops but not the war”.
Either way political pandering is ending any chance of victory.

I'll agree with you about at least one thing, we learned nothing from Vietnam. We still get involved in what amount to civil wars half way around the world that we don't belong.

I agree the troops in Vietnam were treated horribly when they returned home and that should never be repeated. But I also believe they were treated horribly by a government that involved them in a conflict we had no business being in.

None of that validates a bunch of flag waving, chest thumping 'patriots' who label anything outside their own vision as anti-American.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:02 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,608,911 times
A key lesson we didn't learn from Vietnam is that if you send the military, you need to let them fight. We lose people when politicians insert themselves and do not let the military do what it needs to win.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:04 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,006,366 times
Default Proud Americans Against the War

Do the Eagles Consider the men listed below unpatriotic?
No, they are among our most honored, and had dedicated their lives to serving this country in the military.

When a democratic government starts acting as though it were a dictatorship, it is time for all good Americans to rise up and say, 'NO'.
To not do so is unpatriotic.

This administration has had an agenda, and is determined not to allow the democratic process stand in its way. It has created wars where there need have been none, the slaughter of innocents, both ours and theirs. More patriotic generals have retired or been removed by Bush than in any other time in history, and it has all been because of the evil that has taken over our White House.

Don't forget this is the President who told us what his preferences would be, if he'd had his druthers:
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." - Geo W Bush

Retired Major Gen. Paul Eaton, who helped revive the Iraqi army, described Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld as "incompetent strategically, operationally and tactically" and called for his resignation. Retired Lt. Gen. William Odom, former director of the National Security Agency and now a Yale professor, said in a speech covered by the Providence Journal that America's invasion of Iraq might be the worst strategic mistake in American history.

Retired Marine Gen. Anthony Zinni, a four-star former commander of the Central Command, describes administration behavior that ranged from "true dereliction, negligence and irresponsibility" to "lying, incompetence and corruption." Another Marine, retired Lt. Gen. Greg Newbold, has written in Time magazine that the Iraq war was unnecessary. Finally, Lt. Gen. Bernard Trainor and Michael Gordon have written a history of the invasion of Iraq, Cobra II, which describes a willfully self-deluding planning process.

Maj. Gen. John Batiste also called for Rumsfeld's resignation; the Washington Post reported that Batiste, commander of the First Infantry Division in Iraq during 2004-2005, turned down a third star and a tour in Iraq as the second-ranking U.S. military officer there. He retired rather than continue to work for Rumsfeld.

So, don't go waving that flag in front of my face, Mr Eagle, and expect me to cower in the corner. I am the American here. Myself, and those who fight against injustice, abroad, AND HOME. Democracy and freedom require eternal vigilance, and today, the worst enemy of these lofty American ideals, lies within.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
A key lesson we didn't learn from Vietnam is that if you send the military, you need to let them fight. We lose people when politicians insert themselves and do not let the military do what it needs to win.

Even more key would be having good reason to send the military. I agree we need to let them fight when justified, the rules of engagement are inane. I've read that in Vietnam a pilot was not allowed to attack an enemy aircraft that was on the ground, they had to wait 'til the enemy took off, what a load of crap! If it's your enemy I don't see it making much difference if you shoot him in his sleep.

I've been looking for a good reason for Vietnam for a long time. I borrowed Robert McNamara's book from the library. Not far in he basically says that at the time we didn't know too much about Vietnam but we went anyway. I closed the book and returned it, I'm still looking for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.