Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Corporations go overseas to make money not to reduce tax. However, once overseas, they take advantage of those jurisdictions to minimize their tax liability.
There is no need to go overseas to make money.. Corporations in america can do business from here, with companies overseas.. This isnt the 1400's where you need to setup offices in cities where you want to sell your goods.. I routinely sell products to businesses in other nations, my internet company gets orders all the time. I also buy products from other nations. One of my largest supplies is from Canada.If I want to sell to Australia, there is no need for me to setup a seperate corporation in Australia to do so.. To claim there is a need to setup different oversees corporations to make money is ridiculous. Setting up foreign corporate entities are done so at an expense, but ultimately the expense is far lower than paying the taxes and dealing with the legislative burdeon..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
"As greedy public workers bankrupt states, America makes it harder for honest corporate citizens to create jobs."

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...ay-anything---

Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There is no need to go overseas to make money.. Corporations in america can do business from here, with companies overseas.. This isnt the 1400's where you need to setup offices in cities where you want to sell your goods.. I routinely sell products to businesses in other nations, my internet company gets orders all the time. I also buy products from other nations. One of my largest supplies is from Canada.If I want to sell to Australia, there is no need for me to setup a seperate corporation in Australia to do so.. To claim there is a need to setup different oversees corporations to make money is ridiculous. Setting up foreign corporate entities are done so at an expense, but ultimately the expense is far lower than paying the taxes and dealing with the legislative burdeon..
That is one stage in the model and works for smaller corporations taking their first steps overseas. But Kraft did not pay billions for Cadbury just to get tax advantages.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
"As greedy public workers bankrupt states, America makes it harder for honest corporate citizens to create jobs."

I Give Up - Pay Anything... - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 03/28/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Sophomoric political junkies tend to make very binary decisions on whether someone is a worker or evil corporation. The person in the video runs a small brokerage house and is nowhere near as large as corporations people tend to associate with "tax dodgers".

Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That is one stage in the model and works for smaller corporations taking their first steps overseas. But Kraft did not pay billions for Cadbury just to get tax advantages.
Kraft didnt buy Cadbury for the purpose of going overseas either.

We are discussing why companies go overseas, not why they expand..

Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Here's what some economist have to say on this:

Quote:

Though many economists agree a higher rate makes the U.S. less competitive over the long term, they are mixed about whether cutting the corporate rate would have any immediate impact.

The reason, they say, is that cutting corporate taxes isn't focused specifically on expanding operations or creating jobs.

“You could create more opportunity for job creation,” said John Canally, an economist for LPL Financial. “But (corporations) could take that money and invest overseas. You can’t tell them what to do.”

Instead, tax incentives—like the payroll tax exemption enacted last March to encourage hiringare textbook tax approaches to economic downturns, says Doug Shackelford, a tax professor at the University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School.

“These targeted jobs credits, that’s what supposed to work,” Shackelford said. “So if you told me you have one tax trick to play, I’d say we are playing the right trick right now.”

News Headlines

Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It was thoroughly enjoyable to watch this perspective, to see how inept people can be by looking at this from a purely emotional and tax hungry perspective.
All the news and programs are connected to giant corporations.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
All the news and programs are connected to giant corporations.
Then why do so many pro Big Business conservatives complain that most news media is controlled by business hating liberals?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Sen. Bernie Sanders: End Tax Breaks for Profitable Corporations

Yes, our tax "burden" is what's driving corporations overseas, not just their greed. Looks like I paid more in taxes than a lot of those corporations combined. And aren't we all assured, according the Gospel of Ronald Reagan, that once these wealthy fat cats amassed large sums of money that it would "trickle down" to the rest of us? Aren't we supposed to be seeing an explosion of job creation now? Must be one slow trickle...
Only when they have wrung the very last drop of blood out of all 315 million of us and the federal debt has soared to 20 trillion dollars----only then, will the congressional whores be forced go after their pimp corporations to scrounge up some money. As usual, the pimp corporations will employ their battery of attorneys and accountants to fight tooth and nail to cough up even a dime. By then it will be too late for this country. Probably too late already, we just don't realize it.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Then why do so many pro Big Business conservatives complain that most news media is controlled by business hating liberals?
Because some big businesses make a living attacking other big businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies