Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times

Advertisements

anyways your talking to a guy that after the nuclear meltdown in japan went and had bought alot of Cameco stock which one of the world's largest uranium miners, with huge reserves in Canada, has seen its shares do an about face in the past few weeks, along with the rest of its industry. The industrial metals and minerals group, of which it is but a small part, is down 35 per cent over the past month, including 1.3 per cent in the past week.

Cameco thrived as the prospect of rising demand for its particularly high-grade “yellowcake” uranium boomed as more nuclear plants came on line over the past few years and given the prospect of many new ones.

I also had put alot into Talisman Energy

The logic behind converting gas to liquid fuel lies in the widely divergent economics of natural gas and oil. A barrel of oil contains roughly six times the energy content of a thousand cubic feet of gas. But in recent years, oil’s relative value has far surpassed gas, a trend many expect to continue. Since 6 thousand cubic feet of gas is worth about $24 (U.S.), and one barrel of oil is worth about $100, there is a tremendous profit margin if you can convert one to the other cost-effectively.

The conversion, of course, is tricky business. The plants are expensive – Talisman believes a 40,000-barrel-a-day facility will cost $3- to $5-billion – and more than 40 per cent of the gas gets used up powering the chemistry.

But that still leaves a potentially compelling margin, especially for companies like Talisman, which owns gas-rich land in northeastern British Columbia’s Montney play. Not only does it have 7 billion barrels of oil-equivalent gas there, but it’s so distant from market that it normally sells at a $1 discount.

so go I am all for nuclear plants and uranium and if a barral of oil gets crazy expensive then who knows taking risks is all about I invested in well fossil fuels that are hard to extract and convert and uranium and plus the 40% of the natural gas used to power the facility could be cut if they a nuclear power that way I do good on both fronts

Last edited by GTOlover; 03-30-2011 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
This guy get's almost NO tax write off's. This guy may get deductions and credits, but not any tax write off's.

If you want 'em, buy a home, etc.
Write off, credit, deduction, all the same thing really.

And have kids that you can't support? And buy a house you can't afford?

Gee that is a way to keep this country moving.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,628 times
If you are fortunate enough to have a job, food on the table, clothes (new or
hand me downs) a roof over your head, you are better off than at least 75% of the world's population. It also puts you in the same category as most of
us reading your post. We all wish we had things better and easier, but it comes down to education, opportunity, and just how hard you are willing to
work for the "American Dream". Things are tough for all of us right now, but
the experts are saying the economy is on the upswing again. Just wait until
you retire and think you saved enough for it! It's even harder. BUT we still
live in the best country in the world, maybe John Q Public needs to get involved in politics and try to reform things inside the system.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:13 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Hey i know some who had very little that built businesses up from the ground floor, having not a pot to **** in, but they did it, are sucessful in life, and never ever talk about not being able to do it, becuase they had very little, they did make it, when i knew them when they were little, they did not come from wealthy familes believe me, on the contrary, they came from struggling family's that had mostly the essentials to live by. But they did do it, and by themselves, persistent hard work, but they did it. Some people do earn a living the hard way, and they have earned it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies