Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times

Advertisements

To the OP:

Because not everyone votes their own narrow self-interest, and acts like pigs at the federal trough. Some people vote for what they think is right, and they don't happen to believe it's right to take money from one group of people and give it to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
I have believed for some time now that the single most brilliant marketing ploy in the history of our country is the alignment of the GOP with the NRA and the religious right.....

Sadly, there are many people who are one issue voters. If one candidate is viewed as being pro-gun or anti-abortion, he or she will garner unquestioning support from these voters (working class and lower middle class who identify as Republican), no matter how contrary the rest of that candidate's platform is to these voter's own best interests...

Yes, gun rights are hugely important to me too, but a person has to examine the totality of the candidate, not just their stances on one or two issues......
It isn't just one or two issues. It's a plethora of issues. Abortion, taxes, the proper roll of government, gay marriage, dadt, crime, and gun control are just a few of the issues involved. It's come down to culture. Like you I look at the whole package. Since I'm not a liberal that happens to like guns, I don't have much of a problem here, I vote anti-democrat. Ok, so maybe I do have a problem, no representation. At some point I feel I'm going to get some tho. Conservatives just happen to comprise just about half of the nation. We can't go without representation forever.............I hope.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Maybe for the same reason that poor blacks vote democratic.

Oh, no wait, that would be because the democrats have promised that they will help them and make a better life for themselves. The big lie.

On the other hand, even the poor who vote republican are all about self sufficiency. Eventhough they may not have a lot they prefer to take care of themselves and their family. They don't want want the democrats are selling, they can't be hood-winked.
Exactly!!!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,298,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
which is exactly why we need to eliminate many of the regulations and reduce the taxes on business, so that the products made here are much less expensive, and thus more affordable to the rest of the world. all tariffs do is drive the price of EVERYTHING UP. yes it may "protect" industry in this country, but it also kills overseas sales of products made in this country. the smoot-hawley tariff act only made things worse for america in the 30s, not better, because it made the products made here more expensive overseas, and thus CUT demand for US made products, and that meant LESS production and fewer jobs.

but if tariffs are so good, then why did tire prices rise across the board, even on american made tires, when we put high tariffs on chinese made tires? high tariffs are not the answer, less regulation and lower taxes are.
Tariffs are so 20th century.

The bottom line is THIS COUNTRY IS NOT COMPETITIVE GLOBALLY.

America in most cases can no longer compete in the area of low cost manufacturing.

The only solution is to specialize in high tech, high quality manufacturing and scientific and technical innovation.

The saddest thing I see going on in this country is cuts to education. At this point in time education should have the same priority as national security and defense. The money we save in cuts to education now we will be paying for years later down the road in the way of lost productivity, not enough middle to high wage earners and more jobs going to other places around the world because this country lacks the skilled workers to compete.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:10 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Inbreeding, ignorance, bigotry, believe everything that is told to them no matter how outrageous.
you just described a DEMONRAT voter 100%. Way to go!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
which is exactly why we need to eliminate many of the regulations and reduce the taxes on business, so that the products made here are much less expensive, and thus more affordable to the rest of the world. all tariffs do is drive the price of EVERYTHING UP. yes it may "protect" industry in this country, but it also kills overseas sales of products made in this country. the smoot-hawley tariff act only made things worse for america in the 30s, not better, because it made the products made here more expensive overseas, and thus CUT demand for US made products, and that meant LESS production and fewer jobs.

but if tariffs are so good, then why did tire prices rise across the board, even on american made tires, when we put high tariffs on chinese made tires? high tariffs are not the answer, less regulation and lower taxes are.

When our nation is working we can afford it, especially if they stop printing cash like it is going out of style. Our dollar is only worth .20¢ today, with inflation.

Prices will actually come down as American companies compete for business in America.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
you just described a DEMONRAT voter 100%. Way to go!
The democrats do buy the party line hook line and stinker.

Hand out; give me give me give me. . .

Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,976 times
Default just a couple of questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Planned Parenthood is one of the leading provider of low cost contraceptives and women's health services in the country.

The fact you would ASSUME that my answer is "Just Kill It" show just how narrow minded your thinking is. If you can provide women with effective contraceptives it dramatically reduces the need for abortions.
I understand planned parenthood is doing a good thing, BUT, where does it say that the government has the right to give money collected from it's citizens to any organization like planned parenthood, and/or subsidize low cost contraceptives?

There is a very LOW cost contraceptive, it's called clothing.. Keep it on, don't get pregnant. That's the most effective and low cost contraceptive there is.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Tariffs are so 20th century.

The bottom line is THIS COUNTRY IS NOT COMPETITIVE GLOBALLY.

To be competitive, why the kickback to lower wages, to those wage levels we now import from, as we loose jobs left and right to overseas nations???

You want to work for what they make in China? India?

There lies the problem.
Tariffs & unions, or no Tariffs and no unions. Pick your poison.

Ross Perot said it quite clear and bluntly, before Nafta and the 2000 China free trade bill.
You will hear the sound of sucking jobs from Americans. Many are screaming loudly, today and it is a big sucking sound.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times
Quote:
Planned Parenthood is one of the leading provider of low cost contraceptives and women's health services in the country.

The fact you would ASSUME that my answer is "Just Kill It" show just how narrow minded your thinking is. If you can provide women with effective contraceptives it dramatically reduces the need for abortions.
Because that's how they think, black and white, no in between. They want to cut Planned Parenthood funding despite the fact that those federal dollars are going to contraceptives not abortions.

Quote:
Publicly funded family planning services are highly cost-effective. More than nine in 10 women receiving them would be eligible for Medicaid-funded prenatal, delivery and postpartum care services if they became pregnant. Avoiding the significant costs associated with these unintended births saves taxpayers $4 for every $1 spent on family planning. “The national family planning program is smart government at its best,” says Rachel Benson Gold, the study’s lead author. “Publicly funded family planning is basic health care that empowers disadvantaged women to decide for themselves when to become pregnant and how many children to have. It reduces recourse to abortion. And it saves significant amounts of taxpayer money.”
More than nine million women received publicly funded contraceptive services in 2006. Most (7.2 million) received their care from the national network of family planning centers. Another two million women received Medicaid-funded family planning care from private doctors. Six in 10 women who get care at a family planning center, including three out of four who are poor, consider the center to be their usual source of health care, according to the report.
1.94 Million Unintended Pregnancies and 810,000 Abortions are Prevented Each Year by Publicly Funded Family Planning Services

But conservatives cannot see that point, they see the world in a simplistic black and white. They don't want to help prevent these pregnancies, they don't want a woman to have the choice to abort a pregnancy, and they don't believe in assistance to help make sure the kids starve. A conservative dream lived out would be millions of poor women reverting to a coat hanger abortion, or starving women and children. But hey, we need to balance the budget and GE needs it's 3.2 billion dollar tax break to "create jobs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies