Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
..............assuming canada would even want it.
Think about. Michigan has access to the water rights of all five Great Lakes. I'd bet there are even a few western drought states that would be interested in buying Michigan just for the water rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Do you have a link for the $3000 figure.

That is very high, IMO.
Michigan retirees see tax on pension income as attack on middle class | syracuse.com Also, it's our local news covers this issue a lot and the average of $3,000 has been commonly used.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 03-30-2011 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"IT jobs fared worse than many other professional occupations last year, according to recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

While the unemployment rate for all professional occupations was 4.5% in 2010, all but two categories of tech workers exceeded that number."

I work in IT. Many of the trends in software development of late have been around increased automation and headcount reduction. That means job growth across the industry isn't always the key. Are you suggesting, however, that Silicon Valley hasn't been a boon for the American economy, on the whole?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:47 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
You forgot about the fact california is imploding under it's own debt. I would also like to point out that american citizens are leaving the state just as fast as mexican nationals are populating it. Don't get me started on hollywood, just don't!!
California's debt is largely a by-product of the laughable policy of having a referendum on tax and spending issues. Surprise: Voters will always vote to lower taxes AND increase spending when given the chance.

And go on. Get started on Hollywood. What's the problem? You might not like it, but show me another American industry that still MAKES something. Movies are big business and responsible for an inflow of cash. What's the downside?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Oh the state of Michigan is raising property taxes on seniors and retired people with pensions will see an average increase in income taxes of $3,000 a year. plus the state is raising student tuition---all while giving businesses a 60% reduction in taxes. As mean-spirited and divisive as this country is getting, I wouldn't mind if they did annex Michigan to Canada.

After all is said and done, combined taxable pay for labor and services, doubles what profit is left to the company, after labor and services or paid.

After all my labor is paid for the year(3 employees) and added up, it comes up to 4 times more than the actual profit I made in a year, to put in the bank to keep the business running, along with providing me a livable wage.

People think any money paid, goes right into the pockets of the owners.
They don't see the cost spent, or the money that needs to be banked, to keep the doors open. Then the owners get a check.
There are many weeks, my employees, make more than I do.
I have the ability to show a profit, or a loss. It isn't all profit like the Progressives want you to believe.

What I don't like about corporation's is, there is no one person that can be held accountable and loose it all, like a small business owner.
Disadvantage by a big margin, to the small businesses.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Hell, believe it or not California would be far better off if it left the US because then we wouldn't have almost 20% of our tax dollars going to subsidize arrogant red staters who aren't even grateful for what we've done for them.

Why California should quit the 'dollar zone' | Steven Hill | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
That's something that people in California tell themselves, but I think it's not entirely true.

The calculations done by commerce to determine how much money is being spent on states does not include:

"dollars that could not be distributed by state. Such amounts include interest payments on the national debt, international payments and foreign aid, other foreign outlays, legislative and judicial procurement, expenditures for selected agencies such as the Central Intelligence Agency and the National Security Agency, and expenses other than salaries and wages for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation."

In other words, all the billions of dollars California receives by virtue of their many military bases is not counted because those are dollars that could not be distributed by the state.

So the people crowing about California paying more than they are receiving from the feds, need to consider the dollars brought into them by the military.

(See here for a brief description on how spending on states is figured.)
Flow of Federal Funds to States (http://www.nemw.org/index.php/flow-of-federal-funds - broken link)

Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
"How Much Could Get We Get If We Sold California and Michigan?"

Probably enough to buy everyone in the family a Happy Meal at McDonalds.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
We're getting close to the point where Mexico will just take California back from the US using eminent domain. MI has fresh water resources which we need to hold on to.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:11 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
California's debt is largely a by-product of the laughable policy of having a referendum on tax and spending issues. Surprise: Voters will always vote to lower taxes AND increase spending when given the chance.
The "taxpayers" want lowered spending. The unions want increased spending. Since the unions are feeding the democratic party in california........the union gets what it wants, not the taxpayer.

Quote:
And go on. Get started on Hollywood. What's the problem? You might not like it, but show me another American industry that still MAKES something. Movies are big business and responsible for an inflow of cash. What's the downside?
The products consistantly suck. The people involved are "largely" reprehensible. The movie made back in the day made people in the world want to be like us. The movies now made by hollywood make the people of the world hate us for being so vapid and shallow.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
We're getting close to the point where Mexico will just take California back from the US using eminent domain. MI has fresh water resources which we need to hold on to.
My point all along. we cannot sell that which we do not possess.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Don't get me started on hollywood, just don't!!
Why not? Unhappy that there's an export industry that hasn't been completely outsourced to China yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies