Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Ahh, personal attacks. And they say the art of political discourse.......is lost.
Pot. Kettle. And all that.

Quote:
You're a liberal/leftist/assorted marxist. {shudder}
Quote:
Decades of research tell us anything else will just fill our prison and mental hospital wards with human waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
So.........just when did peoples "whims" in the bedroom become the equivalent to "civil rights" and "equal treatment" under the law?
I have no idea what you're talking about. When did I ever say that a sexual whim is the same thing as a civil right?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Is that small government or libertarian. Our forefathers were small government advocates. They were also to a man classical liberals. I consider myself one.

They firmly believed the common man would know what was in his best interests far better than some government bureaucrat. They placed a lot of trust in their citizens in stark contrast to the various marxists who now litter the landscape. However, that does require a functioning society does it not? Individualism without civic responsibility is worthless. Our society's continued tinkering with the basic family unit isn't producing the desired results. Does that mean we continue the process even tho it isn't working?
Platitudes prove nothing.
Can you point me to the part of the Constitution that where the forefathers recognized marriage one way or the other?
thanks.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdaygirl View Post
Here:

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20051012/study-same-sex-parents-raise-well-adjusted-kids
"The vast consensus of all the studies shows that children of same-sex parents do as well as children whose parents are heterosexual in every way....In some ways children of same-sex parents actually may have advantages over other family structures."

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1994480,00.html
"Study: Children of Lesbians May Do Better than Their Peers"
"they were surprised to discover that children in lesbian homes scored higher than kids in straight families on some psychological measures of self-esteem and confidence, did better academically and were less likely to have behavioral problems, such as rule-breaking and aggression."

Same-sex couples can be effective parents, researchers find - USATODAY.com
"Same-sex couples can be effective parents"
"Children raised by same-sex couples appear to do as well as those raised by parents of both sexes, suggests an international research review that challenges the long-ingrained belief that children need male and female parents for healthy adjustment."

There's a thousand more, but you get the idea.
I would be more inclined to listen to actual study documentation from places like Canada, New Zealand, The U.K. .. than to have to listen to all of the unfounded op-ed MSM tripe .. what with all of their opinions and no scientific sources to back them up ..

Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
So.........just when did peoples "whims" in the bedroom become the equivalent to "civil rights" and "equal treatment" under the law?
WOW.......are you seriously a teacher??????

SO heterosexuality is just a "whim" in the bedroom?????? I thought it was your sexual orientation....thanx for setting us "straight" with your vast scientific insight.

You should rewrite all the information of the past few decades of human scientific research with these "intellectually challenged" posts.

Now here's the scientific and professional facts>>>>>

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality

Gay Is Okay With APA (American Psychiatric Association) (http://www.soulforce.org/article/642 - broken link)

Official Statement Concerning Homosexuality from the American Psychological Association | CLGS

Sexual orientation and its basis in brain structure and function

Homosexuality and Mental Health

BBC NEWS | Health | Scans see 'gay brain differences'

Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times
Live and let live... But realize the fact that if government and religion never existed Homo's would still be viewed as a disorder...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 PM

38 posts, read 94,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I would be more inclined to listen to actual study documentation from places like Canada, New Zealand, The U.K. .. than to have to listen to all of the unfounded op-ed MSM tripe .. what with all of their opinions and no scientific sources to back them up ..

The links I provided are to mainstream news sites reporting on academic studies. If you want the actual studies themselves, either follow the links provided in the articles to the full studies, or do a search for the professors/researchers involved and the full names of the research to read them online, if they're available free. You're free to do all of that, if you want, but I'm not about to do it for you!

As far as "no scientific sources"....did you even read any of the articles? They're just reporting straight results from scientific research, fully sourced.....we do these studies over and over and it's always the same results (of course, repetition is part of the scientific research process, so that's fine!)

Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I think YOU need to reread your initial obnoxious post...I too found it offensive and insulting...IF you are gonna dish out ignorant posts then be prepared to take the consequences. You started the hatefest....he just gave back what YOU dished out.
Hatefest?? I thought this was a political forum meant to exchange ideas and thoughts. Just what makes you hate so much? Is it because you are intolerant to cultural norms other than your own? Is that it? You realize you are supposed to be tolerant of all cultures. All cultures are equal you know.

Quote:
Can't stand the heat....then get outta the kitchen!
But, I'm still here.

Quote:
Half of all straight marriages end in divorce so I am at a loss with this family stability crap you go on about!
Well, that would be bad. Because divorce leads to instability in the family. That's actually bad for children.

Quote:
Not to mention the single unmarried moms so prevalent in our culture.....that have children.
Well, research over the last few decades indicate that's bad for children too.

Quote:
And research shows gay couples are no better and no worse than straight couples at raising children; however the research shows we raise more tolerant children than our straight counterparts.
Hmmmm, you mean research like this? Science tends to work best whenever political considerations are left out of the mix.

source

Quote:
Stacey readily concurred with the traditionalist critics' charge that scholarship in the still-fledgling field of gay parenting has been conducted almost entirely by researchers sympathetic to gay concerns. This is precisely why she set out to subject the studies to a "heightened degree of critical scrutiny." She focused in on the difficulties that have stymied good, systematic work. For starters, when the first small studies comparing children of hetero- and homosexual parents came out in the late 1970s, it was impossible to obtain representative samples—and it still is. After all, nobody really knows how big the population of homosexual-headed families with kids is or what it looks like. (The general demographic profile of such households is only beginning to emerge. Data from the 1990 Census suggested that 27 percent of lesbians in same-sex couples had given birth to children; between 5 percent and 17 percent of gay male households included kids. Estimates of the number of kids of gay and lesbian parents range from 6 million to 10 million, according to a group called COLAGE, or Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere.) Partly because researchers are dealing with subjects who have not exactly clamored to be counted and measured, samples have been small and anything but random—they consist of adults and children who get referred or recruited. The resulting data have been heavily slanted to well-educated white families and overwhelmingly to lesbian parents rather than gay men with kids..............

Quote:
Here's a professional link from the American Psychological Association>>>>>
Yes I'm aware of them. They are a political organization. There's that word "political" again. It just keeps cropping up.

Quote:
You simply are supposedly copying information from undisclosed sources with obvious agendas. God help the children you teach!
I've provided links to all of my sources. As to the children I work with, I leave politics out of the lesson plans. Political agendas have no place in the school system.

source

Quote:
Study Suggests Gay “Marriages” Healthy, Ignores Opposing Research
by LifeSiteNews.com
Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:15 EST
Comments (0)

By Gudrun Schultz

LONDON, United Kingdom, February 14, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) – A new report suggesting civil partnerships may hold potential health benefits for gay couples ignores significant research showing serious health problems associated with the gay lifestyle.

The report, published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health (JECH) by London researchers Professor Michael King and Annie Bartlett, suggests that gay couples will experience the same health improvements that have been linked to those in heterosexual marriages. Stress reduction through stable relationships and emotional security has been linked to reduced incidences of cardiovascular and other diseases in married couples.

Primarily, though, the report’s authors anticipate stress reduction through greater social acceptance of homosexual partnerships, which they expect will follow the recent legalization of gay “civil unions” in the United Kingdom.

The study ignores extensive research that clearly shows severe health risks associated with homosexual relationships and activity, both psychological and physical..........

Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Dutchman, did you read your own sources? First, all of them were referring to single parent households and said that two parent households worked best. Never did it say the two parents were heterosexual male/female. It simply said two parent. Then, when someone called you out on it, you cite a source from an anti-gay website. Huh. Funny how thats works.

Edit: Now for your new post. It talks about AIDS in the last source from, again, a biased resource. No brainer solution here, don't sleep around.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times
Don't forget this has all been debated for a LONG damn time!!!

You might not agree with history and think your "progressive" but that doesn't change Human nature

If we were all Gay we wouldn't be here today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies