Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
As a conservative who really doesn't care for how the Republicans deal with some of the social issues, I would like to see what other conservatives think on gay marriage in terms of small government.

Personally I don't care who marries who, I don't care how many people a person marries. If a straight guy wants 10 wives and can find them, go for it. If a gay guy wants to marry another guy, go for it. If 5 women want to get married all to each other, go for it.

Why? Because THAT is what SMALL government is about. It is about a government that stays out of our private lives altogether. I do not feel marriage should be something the government has anything to do with. It should be a religous ceremony or private relationship commitment between adults who want to, however they want to, whenever they want to.

Small government means staying out of people's private lives.
How about they keep their noses out of it and not change a thing? If the California moonbats want to allow for it, fine. Don't expect me to recognize them as "married" when they come to my state. And keep the feds out of it--it's not what the federal gov't is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 07:23 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
As a conservative who really doesn't care for how the Republicans deal with some of the social issues, I would like to see what other conservatives think on gay marriage in terms of small government.

Personally I don't care who marries who, I don't care how many people a person marries. If a straight guy wants 10 wives and can find them, go for it. If a gay guy wants to marry another guy, go for it. If 5 women want to get married all to each other, go for it.

Why? Because THAT is what SMALL government is about. It is about a government that stays out of our private lives altogether. I do not feel marriage should be something the government has anything to do with. It should be a religous ceremony or private relationship commitment between adults who want to, however they want to, whenever they want to.

I agree. Everyone keeps asking the wrong question: "Should the government allow same-sex marriage". The real question is: "Is it the governments business who marries who"? My answer is NO!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
How about they keep their noses out of it and not change a thing? If the California moonbats want to allow for it, fine. Don't expect me to recognize them as "married" when they come to my state. And keep the feds out of it--it's not what the federal gov't is for.
I actually agree with this. The only way to settle this issue is to allow the states to decide for themselves. If california does alliow it, fine. If arkansas doesn't, fine. Let the people decide these issues not the courts or the federal government. I believe we should let democracy decide this issue.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I actually agree with this. The only way to settle this issue is to allow the states to decide for themselves. If california does alliow it, fine. If arkansas doesn't, fine. Let the people decide these issues not the courts or the federal government. I believe we should let democracy decide this issue.
The 14th Amendment smacks you upside the head for 10,000 damage points.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The small government position is to not recognize marriage one way or the other.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:19 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Considering the government has pretty much always had a role in marriage (religion entered the marriage business way way later) and too many rights are covered under it, it's way too late to be arguing for government to get out of the marriage business. It's not going to happen - find a better argument.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
The 14th Amendment smacks you upside the head for 10,000 damage points.
The 14th ammendment gets misapplied a lot.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:

My perspective on "small government" is the states decide, and the feds stay out of it.

If the people of a state want to promote marriage, so as to reinforce the family and reduce single parents struggling on their own, then that is a noble thing to do.

The commonly held married couple in our culture is a man and a woman, not two men. Unless people specify, with utter clarity, what marriage is, then the polygamist and the gay couple, or what have you, will claim discrimination.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
How about you and your anti-gay bigot friends keeps their hands off civil marriage law and stop passing laws banning homosexuals from accessing it?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How about you and your anti-gay bigot friends keeps their hands off civil marriage law and stop passing laws banning homosexuals from accessing it?
Don't try to force it on the federal level. If individual states want to do it, they can do it. And pro-marriage folks can oppose it if they want on the state level. And if pro-gays want to scream about it, they can do that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies