Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Then you most definitely won't be rich. But I, on the other hand, think I WILL be rich. It may happen or not, but at least I'm not just sitting around feeling sorry for myself, and how unlucky I am.

It's called having a plan. Check. Making sacrifices. Check. Living within my means. Check. Not expecting the government to be a part of my rise to riches. Check.

At the moment, I have nothing. A little money in the bank, a short term and long term goal, commitment to the goals, and a dream. If I thought I wouldn't succeed, then I wouldn't. See how that works?

Good for you. You may very well get there. The first million is the hardest, then after that, it is easier. It is the magic of compounding returns and PROTECTING CAPITAL.

Wealth is an artifact of hard work and planning. Discipline in saving and simply recording expenditures is helpful. Pay off your house early. It is amazing what you can do with extra cash when you have no mortgage.

Mark Twain was a proponant of incrementalism- meet short term daily goals and long term major goals will be easier to achieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 AM

950 posts, read 1,515,034 times
By 3rd world country standards, most Americans would be considered rich. If somebody in say Senegal for example saw a picture of this American suburb, he or she would most likely think the people living in this neighborhood are rich. Especially compared to how they are living in Senegal.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:48 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
1 out of 3 Americans believe they will be rich some day

Considering the line I see daily to buy lotto tickets, I suspect that it is a conservative figure.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If less than 2% of Americans are rich, that means there are some seriously delusional people out there. Call this the Joe the Plumber syndrome. I guess this explains why poor and middle class people support policies that favor the rich and screw the middle class.

Do you think youll be rich one day?
Did you read the article?
Where are you getting 2%?
The definitions of those surveyed had nothing to with salary.
It had to do with lifestyle, mostly not having to worry about money.
If you only make $80k, but you live like you make $40k, you will never have to worry about money.
Guaran-damn-tee you.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:49 AM

Btw, how stupid are you if you don't think you're gonna be rich?
Who gets rich thinking, "I will never be rich"?

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM

286 posts, read 521,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If less than 2% of Americans are rich, that means there are some seriously delusional people out there. Call this the Joe the Plumber syndrome. I guess this explains why poor and middle class people support policies that favor the rich and screw the middle class.

Do you think youll be rich one day?
1 out of 3 Americans are complete and utter morons

Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Btw, how stupid are you if you don't think you're gonna be rich?
Who gets rich thinking, "I will never be rich"?

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Some people don't aspire to be rich. Why is that considered stupid?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Some people don't aspire to be rich. Why is that considered stupid?
No, no, no...I don't mean to say someone is stupid if they don't want to be rich.

Just that if you don't think you will be, it's likely that you won't.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Truly insightfull to know that liberals have now come to the point where they believe the American Dream is nothing but a joke to be ridiculed for political purposes.

People in many other countries don't even have the opportunity (provided by freedom) to even have the dream at all, let alone the fact that it is actually achievable here.

PATHETIC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies