Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,462 times

Advertisements

You may be a "expert" on all there is to know about nuke thingee's BUT your sure rude and insulting to the lady who started this thread and frankly everyone else here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:19 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
They sky is falling, OMG, the sky is falling.

Problem is, even if it were a problem there isn't a damned thing you can do about it. Well, unless you're superman and can go to the Pacific coast and blow real hard.
yes, your right, there IS nothing can be done...but, the last time I looked, this was still a free country, and we are allowed to discuss it...are we not...?

no one is stating that the sky is falling or this is the end...we are calmly talking and sharing thoughts, that's all...no fear....just trying to absorb some input and listening...

why is it, when someone disagrees, they take it so personal, they resort to these kind of posts...?

didn't your mama ever teach you, if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all...?

I'm not going to defend what I've written here...God knows, I have been wrong, once or twice...
however, I'm open for constructive discussion...and I think a lot of people are, however, posts like yours and some of the others here, scare people into not sharing they're ideas...thoughts, and its so wrong to bully or mock others...maybe we're not all as far along as you are...yanno?

Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
You may be a "expert" on all there is to know about nuke thingee's BUT your sure rude and insulting to the lady who started this thread and frankly everyone else here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, your right, there IS nothing can be done...but, the last time I looked, this was still a free country, and we are allowed to discuss it...are we not...?

no one is stating that the sky is falling or this is the end...we are calmly talking and sharing thoughts, that's all...no fear....just trying to absorb some input and listening...

why is it, when someone disagrees, they take it so personal, they resort to these kind of posts...?

didn't your mama ever teach you, if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all...?

I'm not going to defend what I've written here...God knows, I have been wrong, once or twice...
however, I'm open for constructive discussion...and I think a lot of people are, however, posts like yours and some of the others here, scare people into not sharing they're ideas...thoughts, and its so wrong to bully or mock others...maybe we're not all as far along as you are...yanno?
My apologies for offending y'alls fragile sensibilities.

Frankly I find it disturbing that citizens would refuse to educate themselves to know that the minute amount of radiation that will ever reach our shores is so small that you'd likely have more radiation exposure from a day at the beach with sun screen on.

Its hysteria, just like the media reporting every murder, rape, and car accident. The fact is that you live in a relatively safe world, where the odds of anything bad happening to you that is outside of your control is less likely than you killing yourself at home with an act that you've done a million times before.

So again, go back to screaming that the sky is falling, scaring people and yourselves. Its not a problem for anyone, and the world will go on, and likely most of y'all as well. In a month when the radiation is likely to have stopped, no one has had any ill side effects in our country, and the ambulance chasing lawyers are running commercials saying you should sue Japan, most of us will have moved on.

If you haven't seen, there are bigger fish to fry in this country.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times
Quote:
ok, folks, I opened this thread for discussion, not mockery...or wise remarks...just wanted to know if anyone had any feed back, I'm not freaking out, as I'm not surprised, this is happening, however, what does annoy me is when someone prints an article and says, it's a safe level of radiation...there is no safe level of radiation, everything we injest that is chemically ridden is hazardous....and that's my point, there is no safe level of radiation, that is why people who are pregnant should not receive x-rays, etc.

My point is....why do they continue to mess around with this? There are people working right next to the reactor who will indeed die....and I'm not understanding why they don't do the same thing the Russians did.

There is a huge huge increase of cancers and diseases like MS, Parkinsons disease, etc. Just go visit any cancer center and see, how many children are ridden with all kinds of different cancers....

So if you want to make a joke out of this fine...however, what I'm really looking for is serious discussions about the situation....

I'm concerned about the U.S. yes, but can you imagine all the Japanese? I feel so badly for them and they're unborn children....
and do not know why our world hasn't insisted that the Japanese, start filling it up with concrete to seal any further contamination....

they taught us back in school, and I'm now 62, that, the radion works itself into the ground, water, and grass, our livestock eat the grass, and now the milk is contaminated...which already was, from all the nuclear tests they did out west, in the late 30's early 40's, however, this is adding insult to injury, and they need to contain this...plus, there are what 3 or 4 reactors effected?
I'll help you out here since I think you started this thread in good faith.

My philosophy is that as long as there's more than a handful of people living on this earth, there's going to be some kind of polution. We have 8 billion folks on the planet, and as hard as we try, sometimes things go wrong. Fortunately the amount of radiation coming into the U.S. is minimal. Same with the the air polution coming in from China, Russia, and for that matter, Europe. As a good many experts have said, When it comes to such things as energy, waste disposal, etc., pick your poison.

Personally, I have this distinct feeling that nuclear energy is going to be considered more and more the answer to the world's energy needs. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday in the not too distant future. And the unfortunate thing about it is, with other forms of energy running out, we probably won't have any choice.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 PM

24 posts, read 72,589 times
Took the words right outta my mouth Memphis! Dont believe every thing you read and surely dont let it take over you comfort level. People are bored and have dramatize everything. Eat, drink, and be merry! Cheers!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
I don't know when the Japanese are going to stop trying to save face, and just fill it up with concrete, like they did in Russia?
I don't understand why they tried to play it down, in the end it makes them look like fools.
I just read cement equipment to seal the reactors is being shipped to Japan.

Last edited by Roaddog; 03-31-2011 at 08:56 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Don't worry..the EPA is discussing RAISING permissible levels.
So if any radioactive fallout from Japan comes our way..we have a paper that says increased levels are still SAFE.

Now doesn't that make you feel safe ?
Group warns EPA ready to increase radioactive release guidelines | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't worry..the EPA is discussing RAISING permissible levels.
So if any radioactive fallout from Japan comes our way..we have a paper that says increased levels are still SAFE.

Now doesn't that make you feel safe ?
Group warns EPA ready to increase radioactive release guidelines | The Tennessean | tennessean.com
That's why taxpayers pay the EPA the big bucks!

Now why do Democrats have their panties in a wad over cuts to the EPA, please remind me.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My apologies for offending y'alls fragile sensibilities.

Frankly I find it disturbing that citizens would refuse to educate themselves to know that the minute amount of radiation that will ever reach our shores is so small that you'd likely have more radiation exposure from a day at the beach with sun screen on.

Its hysteria, just like the media reporting every murder, rape, and car accident. The fact is that you live in a relatively safe world, where the odds of anything bad happening to you that is outside of your control is less likely than you killing yourself at home with an act that you've done a million times before.

So again, go back to screaming that the sky is falling, scaring people and yourselves. Its not a problem for anyone, and the world will go on, and likely most of y'all as well. In a month when the radiation is likely to have stopped, no one has had any ill side effects in our country, and the ambulance chasing lawyers are running commercials saying you should sue Japan, most of us will have moved on.

If you haven't seen, there are bigger fish to fry in this country.
Thanks for the apology, it isn't about fragile sensibilities, what it's about sir, is just having a conversation....as I stated before, certainly I'm not always right, and I start these threads to learn from others, and believe it or not, I'm not as smart as some of you, but that doesn't give people the right to come into threads sarcastically, and mock, or be nasty....it's a discussion to learn and share....I don't honestly understand, why people have to be so contrary, it just doesn't make any sense?

Hysteria? What about all those people in Japan, and the men working in the plants, who will die? What about they're food, water, and they're livelihood? What about they're children? It is really really sad....

Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
GalileoSmith I'll help you out here since I think you started this thread in good faith.
Yes, I did, why else would a thread be started?

Quote:
My philosophy is that as long as there's more than a handful of people living on this earth, there's going to be some kind of polution. We have 8 billion folks on the planet, and as hard as we try, sometimes things go wrong. Fortunately the amount of radiation coming into the U.S. is minimal. Same with the the air polution coming in from China, Russia, and for that matter, Europe. As a good many experts have said, When it comes to such things as energy, waste disposal, etc., pick your poison.
I totally agree with you, however, the amount of pollutants present in everything at this point in time, has become overwhelming...for instance, like I said, dumping chemicals in lakes, so that you don't have to deal with the Algie? Yanno, to me, that is pretty darn stupid, cuz you know that's all leaching right into the water tables, now add to that the pressure treated lumbers...all those decks out there, leaching toxins into the ground & water table...then we deal with all the chemicals and hormones in our food....plus the already natural radon, not to mention, the chemical accidents that no one hears about, which happen because those factories are not updated...and as I said the blacktop on all our roads...the point I've been trying to make, and I'm not freaking out, believe me, but all this stuff adds up, oh, then we have the landfills, and out here on the east coast we had the 3 mile island accident, now Japan...and of course, Chernobyl...and the cases of cancer & disease are on the rise....as I said, I did a google and found out which states had the cancer cases reported...and the last public information that I found which was posted was in 2007....

Now, everyone knows smoking is bad for you, but I find it quit amuzing that in the past oh, what, say 7 years, they've been attacking cigerettes and smokers saying 2nd hand smoke causes cancers. By listening to so many people that I know thru work, whose children were admitted to a child's hospital for one reason or another, how many many cases of children with cancer and other diseases....are also on the rise...and I don't buy the cigerette story, b/c there are less people smoking in this country then ever before....

Quote:
Personally, I have this distinct feeling that nuclear energy is going to be considered more and more the answer to the world's energy needs. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday in the not too distant future. And the unfortunate thing about it is, with other forms of energy running out, we probably won't have any choice.
I agree, however, look at the American Car dealers....for years, they wouldn't compete with foreign cars and make inexpensive cars which get good gas mileage....now, since Obama gave them a deadline, all of a sudden they are finally jumping on the band wagon, however, before the past two or three years, they were producing gas guzzlers? Why? Why did they refuse to give they're customers what they wanted? My opinion?
Because they were in with the Fuel companies...the fuel companies dictated to them, not to....and I think that after knowing about the EV1 tric cars that General Motors started producing in 2006, but were told to stop producing them and collect all the cars, and smash them....which they did, along with a lot of help....? I mean, common sense tells you who really runs this country, right? Why didn't the government step in then?

So, you see, there's so much that goes on, that we don't even know about, and I'm not being paronoid, just stating facts...what goes on that we don't know about...when we pay they're salaries to take care of business....and I'm not blaming one party, those of you who read me, know, I feel both sides are corrupt....

So, thats my story, and I'm surely open for suggestions and learning....

I just feel, that while you say, we've got to pick our poison, however, that there are so many pollutants out there, it's way to much to continue to ignore...why not make our congressmen and leaders do they're jobs...or else, lets put someone else in there that will....my point is, there has got to be alternative solutions....

OK, here is an example...how many years have states like Florida, LA, SC, and others been dealing with hurricanes....so, it's a known fact, that they are likely to be hit by hurricanes...so, why not start putting power lines under ground and make zoning laws in those states that they're homes have to be build with concrete block like they do in the Bahamas? It would certainly save a lot of deaths and cut back on a heck of a lot of inconvenience & expenses....?

There has to be other solutions...lets do what will benefit everyone...not just the rich...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies