Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If people can be convinced it will save them money they will do it. Fuel efficient cars are dominating sales. Sales of old fashioned incandescent bulbs have been heading south for a few years, even though they won't be available for long. Even the private sector is taking notice, with firms finding they can cut their waste disposal costs by recycling.
But people don't seem convinced so governments are mandating it through new regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But people don't seem convinced so governments are mandating it through new regulations.

You will be punished if you don't take the planned path to destruction.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I thought the new fluorescent bulbs are now being reconsidered by the very same powers that were pushing them onto us. Maybe others heard or read that also recently?
Accept the fact that Joe Barton and like don't have your interests in mind. Let me ask you, do you think energy conservation is a bad idea?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
They can certainly legalize the production of the old incandescent bulbs, but that doesn't mean the lamp producers will start making them again.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Accept the fact that Joe Barton and like don't have your interests in mind. Let me ask you, do you think energy conservation is a bad idea?
Let me turn that around, and ask you - do you think it is a good idea (in any product) if it produces toxic byproducts, increases the cost of production, cuts down on the world's food suppy, has adverse health effects on a segment of the population and otherwise affects lives adversely? Especially when done via government intervention and pushed by lobbies that don't always have our interests in mind?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Let me turn that around, and ask you - do you think it is a good idea (in any product) if it produces toxic byproducts, increases the cost of production, cuts down on the world's food suppy, has adverse health effects on a segment of the population and otherwise affects lives adversely? Especially when done via government intervention and pushed by lobbies that don't always have our interests in mind?
I don't eat light bulbs for food. But, more importantly, I recognize the need to conserve energy. Without that, the food supply you speak of, health effects you speak of... they are ALL going to be affected in ways you clearly can't comprehend.

So, do you think Joe Barton has your interest in mind? (You forgot to answer my question).

Old 04-04-2011, 10:34 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
I don't eat light bulbs for food. But, more importantly, I recognize the need to conserve energy. Without that, the food supply you speak of, health effects you speak of... they are ALL going to be affected in ways you clearly can't comprehend.

So, do you think Joe Barton has your interest in mind? (You forgot to answer my question).
I didn't forget. It's moot. Not many people in this green movement have our interest in mind. Some are so idealistic as to be practically useless. Others have their own interest in mind. Everyone is driven either by cost considerations or by profit motives.

Who suggested you eat light bulbs? I was asking a serious question and you blow me off with a silly reply. Didn't expect that from you.

Do you eat corn? Many people around the world do, if they are lucky enough to have it.

You say I can't comprehend? Is that an attack?

So, tell me the ways that food supply and health will be affected, since you have announced that I "can't comprehend".

Old 04-04-2011, 10:38 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Energy conservatiaon is fine, but why does the government have to be in it?

Take it one further....

For 50+ years, this "Green Energy" has been trying to come out...nothing major has been accomplished except for very minor things....

How about, lets figure something out....before we cut everything off...People are putting the horse in front of the carriage...lets get a renewable "Green Energy" that is affordable for everyone....and then phase out everything else...

There is NO need to cut everything out and then try to figure it out.

If I'm not mistaken, was it not some Democrats who said NO to wind mills because it would mess up their view of the ocean?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I didn't forget. It's moot. Not many people in this green movement have our interest in mind.
I see an application of "conveniently moot". And people should have self-interest in mind, not be told by likes of Joe Barton and any "green movement", no?

Quote:
Who suggested you eat light bulbs? I was asking a serious question and you blow me off with a silly reply. Didn't expect that from you.
You didn't get my point. Things are not quite as simple as you would want them to be at all times. Perhaps I should go one step at a time. The USA will likely have nearly half billion people, if not more, by about 2050. The world population may be well over 10 billion. What do you think will be the greatest of the challenges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Energy conservatiaon is fine, but why does the government have to be in it?
Because it is the duty of the government to have a vision and address challenges to come in the future. This, to ensure welfare of the people it represents. No?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The reality is that more oil and gas is discovered every day. We likely have not scratched the surface of the world supply of fossil fuels. So supply is not the issue.

The only push to get us off fossil fuels comes from the environmental wackos. In the 1970's their theory was that pollution from burning fossil fuels was going to usher in a new Ice Age. When that didn't happen they concocted a new theory that so-called greenhouse gases resulting from the burning of fossil fuels would produce global warming. The "science" behind that theory has been discredited.

So the "reality," as the OP correctly states is that there is a cabal coercing us to "green" energy, which is unproven and enormously expensive, for no discernible reason whatsoever.
We use 30 billion barrels of oil every day, yet we currently only discover 9 billion each year. Discoveries peaked in 1964 and have been falling every year since. World oil production peaked in 2005 and has been essentialy flat ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies