Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
citations? , and how about citations that actually show when those funds were spent. If the money didn't go out before Sept 2009 they wouldn't have any affect on Bush's 2009 deficit based on the daily nature of the Treasury Data I used.

LOL, me thinks you are puffing a bit with that $1.5 trillion.
Since you seem to be getting confused.. Lets just take ONE item at a time..

The Obama stimulus bill, which you ADMITTED, the CBO said added $185B to the 2009 deficits..

So how is this Bush spending?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:46 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
all your numbers are either estimates or rounded off. Do be careful with WH and CBO ESTIMATES because they only include the public debt, they intentionally exclude Intragovernmental Holdings. Many in the media exclude IGH because they don't do their own research, they are spoon feed instead, so most news stories on debts and deficits are inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
From fiscal year 2008 through fiscal year 2011, outlays grew by $748 billion. During that same period, tax revenue actually rose by $28 billion.

Tax revenue only declined one year - FY 2009. During the period from FY 2008 to FY 2009, tax revenue declined by $412 billion while spending rose by $500 billion.

Of course, the 2011 figure is an estimate, usually the one published by the White House is quite rosy.. But the fact remains that during that period, outlays exceeded declining revenue by a wide margin.

Annual costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were, on average, $250 billion. Last year they were around $190 billion. For 2011, I believe the allocation increased to $210 billion. Will double check later, but this should be close. That still does not account for the deficit rise from $468 billion to $1.4 trillions.
Bush's wars have cost, directly and indirectly, about a trillion dollars. CBO puts the total cost through 2017 at $2.4 Trillion.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:47 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Bottom line is that Skippy came in and passed an $800 B "stimulus" package...then a $1.2 T HCR package...then proposed a $3.5 T budget---in an already poor economy. He wasn't counting on the increased revenue that suddenly dropped off.

Can you honestly compare anything Bush did to that?
The stimulus was 1/3 TAX CUTS - NOT all spending increases - and it was an economic emergency.

The health care package costs did NOT all come out of 2009.

Obama was well aware that it was increasing the deficit and that revenue had dropped (that was part of the reason for increasing the government spend (ie to make up for the decrease in private spending due to the recession)).

Bush however, boosted the deficit at a time of relative plenty (ie when the economy was good) - at a time when he SHOULD have been paying the deficit down because in theory excess funds should have been available.

Clinton (with a GOP Congress) somehow managed to bring down spending but Bush (with a GOP Congress) could not??????

THAT'S the difference between Obama & Bush. Obama was dumped into the middle of a fiscal meltdown - which is NOT the time to make matters worse by laying off even MORE people by slashing government spending. Bush on the other hand had several good years when the deficit could/should have been tackled - a time when a relatively healthy economy could have more easily obsorbed workers laid off due to the decreased government spending - but he didn't DO IT. Why wasn't the GOP all up in arms about cutting spending THEN? The GOP had 6 years of control of both houses of Congress AND the White House yet did NOTHING to cut the deficit (at a time when we could more easily have afforded to do so). Then, when Obama is dropped into the midst of the worse recession in 75 years, the GOP is suddenly all atwitter about the need to reduce the deficit. Why didn't they do something about it when they had the chance?

Sorry, the sudden GOP concern about the deficit just doesn't ring true.

Ken

Old 03-31-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
all your numbers are either estimates or rounded off. Do be careful with WH and CBO ESTIMATES because they only include the public debt, they intentionally exclude Intragovernmental Holdings.
Oh my god I think I'm going to lose it..
The SPENDING deficits have NOTHING to do with the post you responded to indicating the amount of INCOME, and EXPENSES.. Intragovernmental holding deals with HOW the debt is financed..
Quote:
Many in the media exclude IGH because they don't do their own research, they are spoon feed instead, so most news stories on debts and deficits are inaccurate.

Bush's wars have cost, directly and indirectly, about a trillion dollars. CBO puts the total cost through 2017 at $2.4 Trillion.
yes.. the wars cost about $1T thus far.. all of which added to the national debt and included in the debt totals provided.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM

what was the 2009 stimulus for? let me help you, to repair the damage Bush's policies did to the economy. To give out tax breaks, extend unemployment benefits and create jobs to counter the effects of Bush's Great Recession. As such that cost hangs squarely around Bush's neck.

next?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Since you seem to be getting confused.. Lets just take ONE item at a time..

The Obama stimulus bill, which you ADMITTED, the CBO said added $185B to the 2009 deficits..

Old 03-31-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
what was the 2009 stimulus for? let me help you, to repair the damage Bush's policies did to the economy. To give out tax breaks, extend unemployment benefits and create jobs to counter the effects of Bush's Great Recession. As such that cost hangs squarely around Bush's neck.

next?
I note the avoidance of the question.. Thats a sure sign that you are admitting you are wrong..

Again

Old 03-31-2011, 04:54 PM

that's OK, you apparently "LOST IT" months ago. LOL

Quote:
Oh my god I think I'm going to lose it..
The SPENDING deficits have NOTHING to do with the post you responded to indicating the amount of INCOME, and EXPENSES.. Intragovernmental holding deals with HOW the debt is financed..

yes.. the wars cost about $1T thus far.. all of which added to the national debt and included in the debt totals provided.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
that's OK, you apparently "LOST IT" months ago. LOL
Might of been about the same time you registered here and I started reading your postings..

Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 PM

you asked what the stimulus was for and I answered, you just don't like the answer. Bush broke the economy, why should he be dunned for its repair?

Quote:
I note the avoidance of the question.. Thats a sure sign that you are admitting you are wrong..

Again

Old 03-31-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
you asked what the stimulus was for and I answered, you just don't like the answer. Bush broke the economy, why should he be dunned for its repair?
No I didnt ask WHAT it was used for.. I asked how laws OBAMA signed into law is Bush spending. if you want to then say that All 2009 spending was because of Bush, then clearly you will give credit to Bush for stopping the recession in 2009 as well right?

Again.. OBAMA SIGNED SPENDING INTO THE LAWBOOKS.. that is OBAMA spending.. At the time it was passed Democrats were even questioning if it was needed because the crash had stopped.. So you arent going to sit here and play stupid, trying to blame Obama spending on Bush.. Ok.. you might try but...

Are you also going to then admit that 9/11 was because of Clinton because it happened less than a year into his term? Why dont we do each other a favor and have you stop the stupidity...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies