Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times

Advertisements

One thing for sure I guess we are are no stranger to Radation sickness and had a few nuclear accidents ourselfs could also mean that maybe Canadian and americans have a bit higher tolerance to some what higher levels over long periods of time and that no wonder we have such high cancer rates then in other parts of th world.

I also don't think our nuclear scientists in the US Canada or the UK are "rent" a scientists since the experiments they did cost them their lifes and were some of the first to even suffer for a lethal dose and show the signs of radation sickness and taught us first hand what happens when drectly expposed to a LD50 Dose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
life for the japanese is much harder than here. (i was just there) when life is hard people are more willing to die.
we will learn more about that down the road, we have not seen that mind set in a long time.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:50 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
One thing for sure I guess we are are no stranger to Radation sickness and had a few nuclear accidents ourselfs could also mean that maybe Canadian and americans have a bit higher tolerance to some what higher levels over long periods of time and that no wonder we have such high cancer rates then in other parts of th world.

I also don't think our nuclear scientists in the US Canada or the UK are "rent" a scientists since the experiments they did cost them their lifes and were some of the first to even suffer for a lethal dose and show the signs of radation sickness and taught us first hand what happens when drectly expposed to a LD50 Dose.
Rent a scientist is more like when a government comes out with a scientific study to provide the results they want regardless of the accuracy. This is what's going on in Japan and the USA with regards to the radiation fallout and potential dangers.

Here is a long presentation from independent scientist Leuren Moret
Fukushima Nuclear Death is Coming to the World by Leuren Moret (3) - YouTube

Last edited by Vascodagama; 01-14-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 AM

78,373 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Rent a scientist is more like when a government comes out with a scientific study to provide the results they want regardless of the accuracy. This is what's going on in Japan and the USA with regards to the radiation fallout and potential dangers.

Gee, now you are linking to an avowed anti-nuke activist who is absolutely motivated to make the accident as bad as possible to push her agenda. She is a HAARP nut too I see.

Quote:
Moret declared on March 21, 2011 that the “Japan Earthquake" and “accidents†that occurred March 11, 2011, were deliberate acts of tectonic nuclear warfare. She claimed further that the "attack" was carried out using HAARP technology by the Central Intelligence Agency, the United States Department of Energy, and British Petroleum on behalf of London Banking interests
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leuren_Moret

The fact that you'd decry rent-a-scientist and then link to a CLEARLY biased individual as the beacon of truth is pretty much evidence that you will believe anybody that tells you what you've already decided is true.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Gee, now you are linking to an avowed anti-nuke activist who is absolutely motivated to make the accident as bad as possible to push her agenda. She is a HAARP nut too I see.

Leuren Moret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact that you'd decry rent-a-scientist and then link to a CLEARLY biased individual as the beacon of truth is pretty much evidence that you will believe anybody that tells you what you've already decided is true.
She is not a government "rent a scientist" ... that's my point.
Do you think she isn't a Geoscientist?
Do you think she is lying when she talks about her work and experience in Japan?
Do you think that she should not be allowed to express a strong opinion on nuclear power based on her extensive knowledge of the subject?
If I was a Geoscientist and my research exposed unnecessary high potential threats to society then I would also speak out, be an activist, and warn the public.

Here is the full video of her presentation

If you want to believe the government lies then go ahead ...

Last edited by Vascodagama; 01-14-2012 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 12:33 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Do you think she is lying when she talks about her work and experience in Japan?
Do you think that she should not be allowed to express a strong opinion on nuclear power based on her extensive knowledge of the subject?
If I was a Geoscientist and my research exposed unnecessary high potential threats to society then I would also speak out, be an activist, and warn the public.

Here is the full video of her presentation

I think someones tinfoil hat has shrunk recently...

Or else they're pulling a P.T. Barnum (or an Algore) and making a pile of money off uninformed people buying the crap they push.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-14-2012 at 01:00 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:

yeah but Michio Kaku is up there with Steven Hawking in terms of be well regarded and he has nothing to gain and puts his reputation at stake if he get caught making stuff up which I doubt he would on this issue.

the person you posted looks like she is kind of nuts I doubt she is a MIT Graduate with a degree in advanced nuclear physics.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
yeah but Michio Kaku is up there with Steven Hawking in terms of be well regarded and he has nothing to gain and puts his reputation at stake if he get caught making stuff up which I doubt he would on this issue.

the person you posted looks like she is kind of nuts I doubt she is a MIT Graduate with a degree in advanced nuclear physics.

Japan using Fukushima people as human Guinnea Pigs - YouTube

Old 01-14-2012, 01:37 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Tectonic Warfare? Uh, okay, whatever.

So, as I understand it, the US hates Iran but doesn't use HAARP to cause earthquakes and instead uses HAARP against an ally like Japan.

Got it.

And just think, people like that get to vote and elect your politicians.

Deciding....

Mircea

Quote:
No, she's just a garden-variety nut-case who's wrapped just a little too tightly for Earth.

Quote:
Doesn't matter what I think, but I will say that if she was an Australian elementary school teacher, then US mainstream media would be proclaiming her as an expert (that really happened --- the US mainstream media paraded around an Australian school teacher as an expert on US intermediate range ballistic missiles, namely the Pershing II).

Quote:
Yes, because it contradicts everything ever published.

Quote:
She doesn't have "extensive knowledge" and she is expressing a belief, not an opinion. An opinion is a conclusion drawn from facts, which she ignores (for oblivious reasons -- they support her agenda).

Quote:
No one is saying the US government does not lie. I have first hand knowledge and personal experience that the US government routinely lies, often over the silliest things.

Not only am I aware that the US government lies, I participated in the lies and even lied on behalf of the US government.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the credibility of the US Government is ZERO.

I learned long ago, probably before you were even born, not to believe anything the US Government says, because it lies and distorts and perverts, and when it isn't doing that, it is omitting critical information that would alter one's perception of the events (or the information presented).

So I do my own research, and if I don't understand, then I seek information from sources that can provide information, and that even includes sources that might have political, social or economic agendas that differ from mine or are contrary to my beliefs.

That's the only to get to the truth.

As I told you on another post, a nominal sized particle (~48 microns) falls at a rate of 2,000 feet per hour. That's how we plot fallout (and yes I sat in classroom doing that boring crap for hours because it was part of my job).

Do the math.

Were some radioactive particles thrust up into the atmosphere due to burning or explosive forces? Sure. Did some of those particles make it to the West Coast of the USA and Canada? Sure, but not enough to kill people.

Did you look at the weather patterns? Did you notice how many times it rained across the Pacific Ocean? Did you factor any of that into your nonsense? No.

Still laughing at the superior intellect...

Mircea

Quote:
We still get higher levels radation coming acoss the ocean here in the PNW on the jetstream but since the dairy milk from local dairy cow milk farms is tested on regular basis qwhile it is high but within limits to be ok to consume.
But that is irrelevant. What is of most concern to you is which radioactive particles might be consumed by dairy cattle.

The outer valence electrons of Strontium mimic Calcium. That means a radio-isotope of Strontium would end up in your bones or teeth.

Your body cannot distinguish from natural Iodine and the radio-isotopes of Iodine, and Iodine ends up in your thyroid.

For all other radio-isotopes that you might ingest, those pass harmlessly through your body mostly through feces, but some pass through urine.

Suppose you ingested U238. What would happen? Nothing. Why? Because it's U238 and not Potassium, Iron, Iodine, Calcium, Molybdenum, Chromium, Arsenic, Mercury, Aluminum or anything else.

There's a reason why your body absorbs certain metals and non-metallic minerals and a reason why your body rejects them.

I already explained why your body absorbs Strontium and Iodine.

There's a reason why heavy metals like Mercury, Chromium and Arsenic are concentrated in the brain. It's because your nervous system needs certain metals and non-metallic minerals to function, and those particular heavy metals mimic and are thus up-taken.

Uranium, Thorium, Plutonium, etc, etc, your body has no use for those and subsequently rejects them, so you pass them.

Now, if you should inhale them, well, that's a different matter entirely.

But let's assume you inhaled an atom of U238. What negative health consequences would you have?

None.

As you approached 700 Million years in age, you might suffer health consequence, because the likelihood of that U238 atom decaying and giving off gamma and X-rays, plus neutrons, but that would assume they actually cause damage to cells, genes, chromosomes, DNA/RNA etc.

Pu239 would be a different animal too. All fissile isotopes spontaneously fission (U235 is fissile but U238 is not). Plutonium isotopes have a very high spontaneous fission rate. Within a matter of days, that Pu239 atom would spontaneously fission, producing two radio-isotopes as daughter products.

But would you suffer ill health from that? No. It takes more than one atom.

Walk into any basement or sub-level in the west, central or parts of the eastern US, and you just inhaled a good healthy dose of radon.

I only point that out because so many appear not to understand what radiation is, how it works and what it does. They just hear the word "radiation" and go into a total panic over nothing.

Radiating...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I don't think the title of the thread claim any workers died, it did imply they stayed knowing they might die.
No, it said "Fukushima workers decide to die..."

That's quite inflammatory rhetoric, but I guess it sells advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
This study says 14,000 or more died in the US from the fallout.
What fallout?

Did you personally calculate and plot the fallout? Do you know how to do that?

You can rest easy, because I do.

This...

"....that were 100s of times above normal levels..."

...is inflammatory. It's yellow journalism.

So, pray tell, what is the normal level?

See, that's how you prey on people's fears and incite panic. You take advantage of the fact that the normal average Joe/Jane has no idea what the normal level is, but it is 100x greater, so therefore...

...there must be a threat.

"Part of the evidence the study uses to argues its case of radiation-related U.S. deaths "

"...uses to argues..."

Are you serious? Who was the copy editor, Martha the Chimpanzee?

So that passes for journalism and scholarship? Okay.

Quote:
The CDC publicly issues weekly reports on numbers of deaths for 122 U.S. cities with a population over 100,000, or about 25-30 percent of the U.S. population. Fourteen weeks after Fukushima fallout arrived in the U.S. (March 20 to June 25), deaths reported to the CDC rose 4.46 percent from the same period in 2010, compared to just 2.34 percent in the 14 weeks prior
In plain English, there is no link. There is a slightly higher death rate, and therefore we must attribute it to radiation, even though there is no evidence directly linking radiation as the cause.

That would be like saying more people died today than yesterday, and today there were two birds sitting in a tree; therefore the two birds caused the deaths of those people.

Debunking..

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
If 14,000 Americans living in the continental United States, across the Ocean from Japan, have died do to factors directly related to Japans nucleur disaster...

Than how many Japanese, living right there, at ground zero have died, do to same factors??
Not relevant.

What you have here is the ignorant and uneducated have conflated a nuclear reactor disaster with the detonation of a nuclear warhead. They are two completely different unrelated things.

The detonation of a nuclear weapon produces what is typically called "prompt radiation" but a nuclear reactor does not.

Quote:
If the gas disperses more as it travels, than I'm assuming those in Japan recieved a higher dose.
Not necessarily. It depends on where it "falls out." As I said, a nominal sized particle is about 48 microns and falls at the rate of 2,000 feet per hour.

Also, when predicting, calculating or plotting fallout, you have to know the initial quantity of material or have a reasonably accurate approximation. For example, 400 kt warhead, you automatically know that is not a fission weapon, rather it is fission-fusion, and the trigger is going to be about 8 kg of weapons grade Plutonium or a nominal yield of about 20 kt by fission and 380 kt by fusion. You plot the fallout for the 20 kt by fission (since helium -- fusion -- doesn't fallout).

I did a rough plot, because I have friends on other forums who live in Oregon/Washington. Nothing to see there.

Quote:
And did the radioactive cloud specifically target Americans? and bi pass Chinese or Canadians or other nations?
You need upper air layer data: wind speeds, directions and pressure from 2,000 feet to 30,000 feet (at least). I had a helluva time finding upper air data for Iran.

You plot based on wind-speed and direction, and also by layer.

Plotting...

Mircea

Old 01-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Spare us the long winded melodramatic BS. If you read back your own post, at the end you contradicted what you said in the beginning. You start off defending the government lies and then at the end you say you participated in government lies against the people ... then you go on to say you don't trust the government. So what is it? Your statement in reply to what I posted "contradicts everything ever published" is totally false and just shows where you are coming from. I don't need to waste my time pointing out your ignorance as I did in the other thread so babble on and try and entertain the rest of the folks with your BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies