Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:18 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,317,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What would be interesting is to see the total number of workers in the US, and compare the number of governmetn workers to private sector. Just how many private sector employees are there paying the salary of each government worker? If we trust the previously posted number of 108 million private sector employees, that's one government employee for every 5 private sector workers. No wonder this country is freekin broke. Or to look at it another way, for every private sector employee, they are also supporting 1/5 of a public sector employee. One with wages, benefits and job security they will never see.
The fewer the productive employees, the more need there is of Government supervision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Funny that your link is only State Government employees..... we also have federal and local government employees.
Of course they would try to pull the wool over our eyes. They really think we are stupid, but little do they know that they are the ones that end up looking stupid..Time and time again.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,503 times
That article would have been timely about 20-25 years ago. Now, it is a massive duh! I'm surprised the number isn't 10 times. We don't manufacture stuff anymore, not on US soil. We've been a service oriented economy for 2-3 decades.

We need manufacturing back in the worst way, because the domestic work force can't handle all these service oriented jobs. For the sake of being able to employ our people, we need simple jobs back. And no, I'm not holding my breath.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:09 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Of course they would try to pull the wool over our eyes. They really think we are stupid, but little do they know that they are the ones that end up looking stupid..Time and time again.
MMM....not so much "we"....since the rest of us like to use an apple-to-apple comparison instead of hyperbole and inuendo to screech facts.

Stupid....could it be the knowledge base is deep in this area for the "we"? Time and time again....indeed.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The fewer the productive employees, the more need there is of Government supervision?

I thought under supply side economics there ARE NO non-productive employees. ALL employees maximize their output potential ONLY in the private sector.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
From the Wall Street Journal comes this depressing news:

"If you want to understand better why so many states—from New York to Wisconsin to California—are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, consider this depressing statistic: Today in America there are nearly twice as many people working for the government (22.5 million) than in all of manufacturing (11.5 million). This is an almost exact reversal of the situation in 1960, when there were 15 million workers in manufacturing and 8.7 million collecting a paycheck from the government."
Now I have to admit that I am very confused, because it begs the question, since the manufacturing sector is only capable of employing 11.5 million workers, what would states do with the 22.5 million that work for the government if they were added to the ranks of the unemployed? Now if the argument is that government is draining the labor market of skills needed by the private sector, the argument might make sense, with emphasis on the might. But that isn't that case. So what exactly is the point other than throwing out a very interesting piece of trivia?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
That article would have been timely about 20-25 years ago. Now, it is a massive duh! I'm surprised the number isn't 10 times. We don't manufacture stuff anymore, not on US soil. We've been a service oriented economy for 2-3 decades.

We need manufacturing back in the worst way, because the domestic work force can't handle all these service oriented jobs. For the sake of being able to employ our people, we need simple jobs back. And no, I'm not holding my breath.
Please provide some data to back up your claim.

I think if you do some research you might be surprised.

On top of that with the ever increasing emphasis on getting a college degree, who is going to fill those manufacturing jobs.?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
we need simple jobs back.
What is a simple job and more importantly, what is a simple job that pays anything worth making?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:39 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
The article was discussing gov't on the State level. If you included Federal Employee's of which the Congress would be included (except for Postal Service which for some reason is excluded) would account for just over 2 Million people.

That makes just over 11 million State & Federal Employees. There are over 239 MILLION people employed in the United States.

Do you want to do that math, or should I for you? The fallacy is complete and utter hogwash. It's not even in the same universe as being even partially true.

It's not even a nice try.

239 million??? you are off by a factor of more than 2.

And there are way more than 2 million government employees...

So try again. Maybe you will get it right.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
government ,Americas next bubble and the one that will ultimately finish us off.
Must be 20K of taxpayer paid dental work in this photo alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies