Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
U-6 includes people up to 52 weeks.

Those 99'ers are not part of U-6..did you know that ?
Someone can be unemployed for 60 weeks and on extended UE and they are NOT part of U-6 as U-6 only counts up to 52 weeks.
WRONG!

The U-6 statistic has NOTHING to do with HOW LONG you've been on UE. It includes those still on UE, those on EXTENDED UE and those who are NO LONGER on UE. U-6 even includes "discouraged workers" - those who have GIVEN UP LOOKING. If you are out of a job but want one, you fall into the U-6 category (even if you are NO LONGER ACTIVELY LOOKING). It EVEN includes those working PART TIME but want to be FULL TIME. Neither the U-3 NOR the U-6 number are directly tied to the unemployment payrolls. They are simply surveys and are NOT targeted towards those on the UE rolls AT ALL. The numbers are gathered from a TOTALLY DIFFERENT SOURCE, with TOTALLY DIFFERENT METHODS.

You've been told this over and over and over again and somehow you STILL don't seem to get it.

I can only conclude that you don't WANT to get it.

Well, there IS another conclusion to draw - but I won't mention that because it's in violation of the TOS.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 07:07 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Yeah,

Historic as hell. I got laid off three weeks ago, along with 20 other coworkers.

My wife has rheumatoid arthritis. I have to keep her insured.

Dropping myself from the COBRA plan, it is costing me $550 per month to keep her insured. If I were to stay on the plan, it would cost me $1,200 per month.

A margarita in one hand and a cigar in the other. I suppose that's historic.

Historic in my life is different. Will I blame Obama, and tell my grandchildren about this historic time? You bet.

It will be known, that Obama was the worst President in History.

Add that to the 3 people i knew last month who were let go from their jobs of over 20 and 25 years. Think your job is safe think again, these people never thought they would lose their jobs. Same as you they are now sweating about health insurance, and just plain how in the hell are they going to make it. Think their really are a lot of jobs out there, like is being stated, lose your job, then go out and try and find another one? then tell me about all the jobs out there. No job is safe! ask yourself if you lose the one you now have, how will you continue to live.

And not that easy for middle aged men to go out and try and replace the job they now have, and the salary they make, that is the problem, these guys are now having. This can happen to anyone, just be prepared. And if it were to happen to you, can you make that house payment, health insurance with no job, buying food, gas for the car, and the essentials, let me tell you from what my friends are going thru it is hell.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
WRONG!

The U-6 statistic has NOTHING to do with HOW LONG you've been on UE. It includes those still on UE, those on EXTENDED UE and those who are NO LONGER on UE. U-6 even includes "discouraged workers" - those who have GIVEN UP LOOKING. If you are out of a job but want one, you fall into the U-6 category (even if you are NO LONGER ACTIVELY LOOKING). It EVEN includes those working PART TIME but want to be FULL TIME. Neither the U-3 NOR the U-6 number are directly tied to the unemployment payrolls. They are simply surveys and are NOT targeted towards those on the UE rolls AT ALL. The numbers are gathered from a TOTALLY DIFFERENT SOURCE, with TOTALLY DIFFERENT METHODS.

You've been told this over and over and over again and somehow you STILL don't seem to get it.

I can only conclude that you don't WANT to get it.

Well, there IS another conclusion to draw - but I won't mention that because it's in violation of the TOS.

Ken
12 months is 52 weeks.

Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States
"Definitions for the economic characteristics underlying the three broader measures of labor underutilization are worth mentioning here. Discouraged workers (U-4, U-5, and U-6 measures) are persons who are not in the labor force, want and are available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They are not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the prior 4 weeks, for the specific reason that they believed no jobs were available for them. The marginally attached (U-5 and U-6 measures) are a group that includes discouraged workers. The criteria for the marginally attached are the same as for discouraged workers, with the exception that any reason could have been cited for the lack of job search in the prior 4 weeks."

Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
12 months is 52 weeks.

Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States
"Definitions for the economic characteristics underlying the three broader measures of labor underutilization are worth mentioning here. Discouraged workers (U-4, U-5, and U-6 measures) are persons who are not in the labor force, want and are available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They are not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the prior 4 weeks, for the specific reason that they believed no jobs were available for them. The marginally attached (U-5 and U-6 measures) are a group that includes discouraged workers. The criteria for the marginally attached are the same as for discouraged workers, with the exception that any reason could have been cited for the lack of job search in the prior 4 weeks."
"LOOKED FOR A JOB SOMETIME IN THE LAST 12 MONTHS" - NOT "been on UE sometime in the last 12 months" They could have fallen off UE rolls 2 years ago (ie not getting UE compensation for past 2 years) and as long as they looked for a job sometime in the last year they are part of the U-6 number. The U-6 number has NOTHING TO DO with how long they've been off the UE compensation payrolls. NOTHING! Those folks are the DISCOURAGED workers - those who are no longer getting unemployment pay (and may not have been getting it for YEARS - there is NO TIME LIMIT (in regards to when you last got UE compensation) for being a U-6 statistic. As long as you've LOOKED sometime in the last year, you are counted in U-6 (no matter HOW long ago you last got a UE check).

GEEZE!
Learn to READ.

Ken

Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
"LOOKED FOR A JOB SOMETIME IN THE LAST 12 MONTHS" - NOT "been on UE sometime in the last 12 months" They could have fallen off UE rolls 2 years ago (ie not getting UE compensation for past 2 years) and as long as they looked for a job sometime in the last year they are part of the U-6 number. The U-6 number has NOTHING TO DO with how long they've been off the UE compensation payrolls. NOTHING!

GEEZE!
Learn to READ.

Ken
You're getting kind of hysterical here ... believe what you want to believe.
More people dropped off the rolls over the past year than jobs created.

There's lies, damn lies and statistics.
The raw numbers from various reports just don't paint as rosy a picture as the headlines do. That's all I'm trying to get across.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
You're getting kind of hysterical here ... believe what you want to believe.
More people dropped off the rolls over the past year than jobs created.

There's lies, damn lies and statistics.
The raw numbers from various reports just don't paint as rosy a picture as the headlines do. That's all I'm trying to get across.
And THOSE are the people included in the U-6 number. The "discouraged worker" is specifically THOSE people.

If you don't want to believe the BLS there's NOTHING I can do to change that (your paranoia is not MY problem) - but to claim the the U-6 is "by definition" NOT including those off the UE payrolls for more than a year is JUST PLAIN WRONG.

BTW - You DO know don't you that the BLS head was appointed by BUSH - and is NOT beholding to Obama for his job in any way, shape or form.

Ken

Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,704 times
Unemployment numbers, as they are gathered now, are very ambiguous. Actually, they are set up so that politicians can hide behind them. Once you no longer qualify for unemployment benefits, you are no longer counted as unemployed. It doesn't mean you have a job. But you are no longer counted. So, over time, even if no one is able to find a job, they will go over the end of their benefits and the numbers go down.

Check the number of "employed" from IRS tax withholding statements, and you'll also see that the number of employed is also going down. There are still people that are losing their jobs. That's kind of a contradiction, isn't it?

In my area, there are 3 stores that closed their doors in the last two months. That means a number of employees (I don't know just how many) lost their jobs, while the unemployment numbers are going down. All it means is that people are running out of benefits. Not that they are finding jobs. And, with gas prices on the rise, and going even higher, that's going to get even worse. The prices of food and everything else is going to go up because of the "COST OF DELIVERY". And, when companies can not make a profit because they can't sell their goods at the higher prices to cover the cost of delivery, they're going to close their doors too. If you have a dime in your pocket, save it. You're going to need it.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Once you no longer qualify for unemployment benefits, you are no longer counted as unemployed. t.
WRONG!!!!!
As I've said MANY TIMES: the U-6 uemployment number has NOTHING to do with whether or not you are getting benefits - NOTHING. If you've looked for a job sometime in the last 12 months (how long ago you last got benefits is irrelevent (it could have been YEARS ago)) you fall into the U-6 UE rate number.

Ken

Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
The economy still sucks and the vast majority of us are fully aware of it. There are no headlines or news stories that will change it. Politicians are not our saviors. It will take a lot of short term sacrifice to avoid making it far worse.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:53 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Add that to the 3 people i knew last month who were let go from their jobs of over 20 and 25 years. Think your job is safe think again, these people never thought they would lose their jobs. Same as you they are now sweating about health insurance, and just plain how in the hell are they going to make it. Think their really are a lot of jobs out there, like is being stated, lose your job, then go out and try and find another one? then tell me about all the jobs out there. No job is safe! ask yourself if you lose the one you now have, how will you continue to live.

And not that easy for middle aged men to go out and try and replace the job they now have, and the salary they make, that is the problem, these guys are now having. This can happen to anyone, just be prepared. And if it were to happen to you, can you make that house payment, health insurance with no job, buying food, gas for the car, and the essentials, let me tell you from what my friends are going thru it is hell.
The people of ^^^ this generation still hold to the ridiculous belief that they are guaranteed job security simply because they have worked for a company for 100 years and that they will retire with a gold watch and a pat on the back. Well guess what, layoffs happen....downsizing happens. So do career changes, going back to school for graduate degrees, starting your own business, etc, etc. You are not "entitled" to a job simply because you believe that a company "owes" it to you out of loyalty.

A lot of people who complain about being laid off from companies were overpaid for their skill set and the current job market bears witness to this fact. Sorry but you will not be able to find another job that pays you $80k/yr plus benefits to weld widgets or push a button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies