Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
Off topic but...
Fox news is awful..
Fox News is just as a legitimate news station as CNN or MSNBC. More so, in fact, because Fox News has had less hard news controversies than any other cable news station.

Quote:
I don't know how anyone can watch that channel day after day without going insane. Bill O'Reilly and his "Merry Christmas" campaign was disgusting. I'm a Christian but someone at a store saying happy holidays does not offend me. The store is there to make money and serve a wide variety of people. I don't look to commercial enterprises to share or validate my faith. That comes from within.
A show with a news commentator (O'Reilly) should not be lumped in with the regular news reports of a station. Not fair to say a whole news station is "awful" because you don't like one show.
I am glad O'Reilly brought to light the ridiculous politically-correct garbage being spread thoughout the country. 30 or 40 years ago, the stores would never have even considered removing or not putting up "Merry Christmas" signs in their stores.

Quote:
Also, liberal and progressive are not dirty words. Liberals tend to fight for the poor and the underrepresented. I don't see that as a negative.
The are dirty words as far as I'm concerned. They hurt the country with their weakness on defense/the military, tax hikes, short prison terms for criminals, etc.
The poor were actually better off, tax and employment-wise, under Reagan (the Conservative) than Carter (the Liberal). Putting a whole bunch of people on welfare, as liberals like to do, only hurts them more in the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,110 times
[quote=Fleet;1176472]Fox News is just as a legitimate news station as CNN or MSNBC. More so, in fact, because Fox News has had less hard news controversies than any other cable news station.
No. Fox lies and exaggerates more than any other "news" station. If I made a list about how awful every show is I would be here for days.

A show with a news commentator (O'Reilly) should not be lumped in with the regular news reports of a station. Not fair to say a whole news station is "awful" because you don't like one show.
O'Reilly wouldn't know news if it bit him on the behind.

I am glad O'Reilly brought to light the ridiculous politically-correct garbage being spread thoughout the country. 30 or 40 years ago, the stores would never have even considered removing or not putting up "Merry Christmas" signs in their stores.
So your faith is so weak that if Target, Walmart, KMart, Sears, and Macy's don't validate it with a Merry Christmas sign, you'll fall apart. Christmas for true Christians is about the celebration of Christ's birth. We don't need secular symbols. Jesus is the reason for the season. If we focused on that, what signs a store puts up wouldn't matter.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Stop spreading the myth that the media is liberal. There is no liberal media.
Lol.

If there is no liberal media, how come there has been not one book review of Bill O'Reilly's in the New York Times or the Los Angeles Times even though several of his books have sold over 1 million copies each?

Check this out:

-------------------------- Local Op-Ed columnists
-------------------------- Liberal---------- Conservative
New York Times----------- 4--------------- 1
L.A. Times---------------- 3---------------- 1
N.Y. Daily News----------- 5---------------- 1
Washington Post---------- 11--------------- 4
Chicago Tribune----------- 6---------------- 1
Houston Chronicle--------- 2---------------- 0
Boston Globe-------------- 4---------------- 1
Atlanta Journal Constitution- 3--------------- 0

O'Reilly and his researchers went through some polling data and found some very interesting results:

6% of journalists believe that a belief in God is necessary to be moral; 58% of the public belives that.

88% of the American press thinks society should accept homosexuals; 51% of the public thinks so.

20% of the American public describe themselves as liberal; 34% of journalists do.

55% of journalists in the U.S. feel that coverage of Pres. Bush has not been critical enough (even though he is battered every day in the press).

10 years ago, Ted Turner tried everything he could to kill Fox News, including keeping it out of New York and other major cities. Why would the president of a "non-liberal" station do that?
Fox News prevailed and now not only beat CNN, but all of the cable news networks combined.

Washington Post editor Marie Arana said, "The elephant in the news room is our narrowness. Too often, we wear our liberalism on our sleeve and are intolerant of other lifestyles and opinions. We're not very subtle about it at this paper; if you work here, you must be one of us. You must be a liberal, progressive, a Democrat."

Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 PM

The are dirty words as far as I'm concerned. They hurt the country with their weakness on defense/the military, tax hikes, short prison terms for criminals, etc.
The poor were actually better off, tax and employment-wise, under Reagan (the Conservative) than Carter (the Liberal). Putting a whole bunch of people on welfare, as liberals like to do, only hurts them more in the long term.[/quote]

That's sad if you really believe that. Reagan devasted the poor, the mentally ill, and he hurt race relations so much that the wounds have still not healed. He promoted the image of the welfare queen with 10 kids. Many people still believe that most women on welfare remain on it for many years. The reality is that most only stay on welfare for 2 years and had 2 kids on average.
Welfare was created for white widows. The money they were given was small to encourage these women to remarry. What we give to the poor is a drop in the bucket to what we give in corporate welfare. Do you know what the drug companies will make from the prescription drug bill that the Republican Congress passed?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 PM

[quote=liliblu;1176589]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Fox News is just as a legitimate news station as CNN or MSNBC. More so, in fact, because Fox News has had less hard news controversies than any other cable news station.
No. Fox lies and exaggerates more than any other "news" station. If I made a list about how awful every show is I would be here for days.

O'Reilly wouldn't know news if it bit him on the behind.

So your faith is so weak that if Target, Walmart, KMart, Sears, and Macy's don't validate it with a Merry Christmas sign, you'll fall apart. Christmas for true Christians is about the celebration of Christ's birth. We don't need secular symbols. Jesus is the reason for the season. If we focused on that, what signs a store puts up wouldn't matter.
Please list some of the "lies" and "exaggerations" of Fox News.
O'Reilly's staff is composted of conservatives and liberals. Tom Delay, Dick Cheney, Louie Freeh, Sam Bodman and Michael Chertoff have refused to be on O'Reilly's show... if O'Reilly is a "far-right winger," why haven't the above been on his show? He has made many offers to them to appear.

I don't think those stores should be ashamed to put up Merry Christmas signs and I know that many (probably the majority) of the public agrees with me.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:42 PM

Okay Fleet I will. I will make list of the worst actions and post them for your review. I may need a few hours to get them all done.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
The poor were actually better off, tax and employment-wise, under Reagan (the Conservative) than Carter (the Liberal). Putting a whole bunch of people on welfare, as liberals like to do, only hurts them more in the long term.
That's sad if you really believe that. Reagan devasted the poor, the mentally ill, and he hurt race relations so much that the wounds have still not healed. He promoted the image of the welfare queen with 10 kids. Many people still believe that most women on welfare remain on it for many years. The reality is that most only stay on welfare for 2 years and had 2 kids on average.
Welfare was created for white widows. The money they were given was small to encourage these women to remarry. What we give to the poor is a drop in the bucket to what we give in corporate welfare. Do you know what the drug companies will make from the prescription drug bill that the Republican Congress passed?[/quote]
So little you know. Here are some facts, which you obviously aren't aware of...

Poverty rate:
1981 (Reagan's fist year)..... 14.0%
1989 (Reagan's last year)..... 12.8%
(Source: American Almanac, table 717, page 456, 1993 edition)

Old 07-30-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Okay Fleet I will. I will make list of the worst actions and post them for your review. I may need a few hours to get them all done.
Credible info, with sources, right?
While you're at it, maybe you can provide facts that the reporting is less accurate than at CNN or MSNBC or CNBC?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
[b]That's sad if you really believe that. Reagan devasted the poor, the mentally ill, and he hurt race relations so much that the wounds have still not healed.
So little you know. Here are some facts, which you obviously aren't aware of...

Poverty rate:
1981 (Reagan's fist year)..... 14.0%
1989 (Reagan's last year)..... 12.8%
(Source: American Almanac, table 717, page 456, 1993 edition)
Incidentally, it was the liberals judges who released the mentally ill from institutions. I don't know why you blame Reagan. Oh, wait, yes I do... because he was a conservative, right?

How did Reagan "hurt race relations?"

Here is more info on how the poor were better off during the Reagan years:
Taxes paid by high and low income taxpayers.
Income group------------ 1979--------- 1989
Highest 10%------------- 49.5%-------- 54.5%
Lowest 50%-------------- 6.8%--------- 6.1%
(Source: Information Please Almanac, page 75, 1991)

Percent paid by groups:
------------------------- 1980---------- 1988
$0-20,000--------------- 19.5%--------- 7.0%
$200,000+--------------- 7.5%---------- 24.3%
The poor were actually paying more in taxes under Carter!

Taxpayers earning over $200,000:

------------------------- 1980----------- 1988
Tax rate----------------- 70%------------ 28%
Number of returns-------- 117,000--------- 725,00
Dollars paid-------------- $19.5 billion------ 100.3 billion
Percent of income-------- 7.5%------------ 25.3%
Total taxes-------------- $250.3 billion----- $412.9 billion
(Source: Internal Revenue Statistics published in Arkansas Democrat Gazette, Oct. 12, 1992)
There you have it. The "evil" rich went from paying less than 8% of the total taxes to paying 1/4 of them. For those earning $20,000 and less, the share of taxes went from 20% to 7%.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:14 PM

Here's a few lies from Fox to get us started.

March 4, 2003 O'Reilly claimed that not only did Iraq have WMD but nuclear weapons.

October 9, 2002 Barnes states that "the CIA now believes there's a real connection between Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda, the terrorist group that attacked the United States." Did he provide evidence to back this up? No. Why? Because none exsisted. The CIA had reported for years that there was no connection between Hussein and Al Qaeda.

Republican Mark Foley was labeled as a democrat as the congressional page story was reported.

It was reported on Fox that Barrack Obama attended a Madrassa as a child.

Fox News Continues Persecution of Reporters Who Exposed Network Lies on Monsanto's rBGH

Stanford Democrats: NEWS FLASH: Fox News Lies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies