Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I guess it is easy to say for you now that you're already collecting the benefits?
yes, but I have kids, grandkids and other relatives that are not.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, but I have kids, grandkids and other relatives that are not.

Nita
It doesn't matter.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:31 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
This makes sense, but it will never happen. Politicians are like crack addicts and their drug of choice is our money. They can never scale back it's use, they only want more. They will spend it on buying votes (thru "promises" made during elections) and their special interests just to keep them in office. The system is set up to enable these addicts, not to dissuade them. We have elected the foxes to guard the hen-house.
I know that it is just a dream Have you ever wondered why people who are millionaires in their own right and complain about the budget just don't vote to cut their own benefits

Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 PM

19,012 posts, read 14,191,607 times
The tragedy of FICA is that it was based on a fraud, misrepresentation, and a scam. And now, the recipients dependent upon it cannot do anything but fight to keep or increase the payments.
The government, via inflation, destroyed the value of savings, penalizing those who tried to be frugal. The government, via taxation, penalized productive industries. And by rewarding recipients, have created the current dilemma - where there aren't enough givers to support the ever growing number of takers.
The inevitable collapse is near.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Start with not allowing SS benefits until people are 70 (just a figure) SS was never meant to sustain us for 20, 30 or more years. It was meant as a source of income for relirees for maybe 5 years or 10. people now that are 70 are like people were at 50, 40 or 50 years ago. It might also be necessary to continue to take SS contributions out of payroll checks longer than now, the salary limit raised. These are just suggestions. I am simply trying to make a point: we all have to stop the constant whining and get over the "I deserve it" attitude.

Nita
Although I don't usually agree with you, I agree 100% on this issue. The SS age should be raised to 70. When SS was started average longevity was something like 60 and SS started at 62. Now average longevity is something like 78, but SS still starts at 62. No wonder it's going broke.

I'm 49 and am already planning to work til I drop. I would support any politician who urged raising the SS age.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:05 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Although I don't usually agree with you, I agree 100% on this issue. The SS age should be raised to 70. When SS was started average longevity was something like 60 and SS started at 62. Now average longevity is something like 78, but SS still starts at 62. No wonder it's going broke.

I'm 49 and am already planning to work til I drop. I would support any politician who urged raising the SS age.

Ok, I can agree with that but check this out. The poor and underinsured who get the very least healthcare tend not to live as long so they will not get benefits as long as someone who is better off and had good health insurance. I'm just saying

Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Ok, I can agree with that but check this out. The poor and underinsured who get the very least healthcare tend not to live as long so they will not get benefits as long as someone who is better off and had good health insurance. I'm just saying
I see that. But they won't pay in as long either, will they? And, they could still apply for disability if they are not able to work til 70.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,722 times
They won't pay in as long by a couple years, not decades or anything. My grandmother died at 70, in a lot of places with poverty, that's pretty good.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Thats not cool, because of the cuts to education many kids today do not have the same educational foundation as thier parents. Do want an example? Do you remember "school house rock?" If you are under 40 you proably would'nt. There use to be alot of educational programing for children BEFORE they entered pre-k, but now all that is on television is non educational cartoons and anime. thanks Reagan

strange, the USA did just fine without the department of education before ole peanut head carter was elected, and the department of education does not teach 1 child at all. that department is just a boondoggle and a big waste of time and money for the american people.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times
>and a steeply progressive income tax on all income from all sources above the 90th percentile.<

You realize that is only like $80K? Not poor, but on the coasts where costs are high, not exactly country club money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies