Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Are you threatening me? Why I believe you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Now how young are the children? I bet they are all teenagers mostly over 16. If they are old enough to get a driver's permit, they are old enough to work some hours.
They're old enough to fall asleep at the wheel trying to make their way home.

I made more money raking leaves & shoveling snow. If I were these kids parents, I'd make sure they never worked for these sleazy idiots, and I hope the towns stop patronizing their businesses. Stealing from kids does not facilitate work ethics. It destroys them. That's the real GOP mission plan. Destroy America.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascially I start my first job at age ten with a paper route and worked util I retire4d. I often put in more than 20 hours a week o the route with collecting. Now days kids are not alloweed to work when young and we wander whay they have no resoonsibilty. Wehave sumer job paid for by the federal governamnt but the rules are so strick on now workig i sun that they bascially sit around and collect the free money.Now days its so strick that no one wants to hire teens any more and what use to be teen jobs are being down by adults. No wander people wander why teens don't learn responsibilty ;managing money and as adults we have job cneterws spending fedewral money on life skills that include lesson on being o time to work and that ou have to do work to expect to advance and that a sick day earned is a reason to call in sick. We have adults working that can't even make chnage that twelve years old did in the past.No life experience nad yet we beleiev they should learn about real life and make good choices.
Oh, for God's sake! Give me a direct example of someone you know who did the bold. Not this "friend of a cousin's friend's boyfriend's best friend" stuff, either. A real documented example. I'm sick of hearing that "kids today" are lazy, no good, shiftless, etc. My kids and their friends are all working hard.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Are you threatening me? Why I believe you are!
Oh the drama:
Quote:
Gimme a break!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:50 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Boohoo, I worked full time all through high school. Who is the state along with the AFL-CIO to dictate?

The way it is now, many children are so sheltered they never work their first job until out of college.
I figure liberals have set the maturity process back ten years with all their helpful laws and regs.
heck you are even considered a child until you are 26 according to Obamacare regs.
Did you walk 10 miles to school, uphill both ways, in 4 feet of snow all year round, and were grateful to share a desk with 10 other kids?
And had to eat a ketchup sandwich wrapped in a leaf?

Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Did you walk 10 miles to school, uphill both ways, in 4 feet of snow all year round, and were grateful to share a desk with 10 other kids?
And had to eat a ketchup sandwich wrapped in a leaf?
Heck no.
I had a job and could afford a car, which allowed me to drive to school and whichever restaurant I felt like dining at.
Crazy huh, all that personal responsibilty at such a young age?
I don't know how I survived

Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I'll tackle the rant.

Kids at their first jobs don't know what they are doing and are not worth the adult minimum wage.
You do want the kids working to gain work experience and maturity.
If they get to work with the public it is a great way to develop their communication skills.

Now how young are the children? I bet they are all teenagers mostly over 16. If they are old enough to get a driver's permit, they are old enough to work some hours.

I can see a 17 year old working up to 32 hours if their Senior year at high school is a short schedule.

Work is good, there is no shame in any job.
Rather teach them to work than to learn to have their hand out in expectation of getting something from others for free.
Right because the min. wage is so high that it's a fair compensation in the first place.

When I was a minor working...I eventually was a shift lead. I helped in the hiring process. When I left for college, I was asked whether I was going to go to the corporate offices. I'm not that exceptional. There are MANY talented young workers. We know how technology works WAY better than older workers. We understand the nuances of direct marketing (facebook, twitter, text messages). We have the energy to invest in learning new things rapidly.

I could not work 32 hours a week when I was 17. I had 7 classes plus track and student government. I was working on my capstone project that talked about the democratic process in Kenya and Ivory Coast. I was too busy writing papers about South American dictatorships and the ramifications of the Mexican Revolution. I was also WAY too busy with 3hr. Chemistry labs after school on Thursdays at the local college. I didn't have enough time because I was focused on analyzing Isabel Allende's works and comparing it to the larger social order of Chile. I was too busy because I was trying to go to state for the 400m and competing for scholarships. Instead of working, I participated in colloquiums focusing on how to improve San Bernardino city schools.

My education was work. When I was a senior in high school, I was doing the same level work as a sophomore at a prestigious university. Actually, I used some of my high school papers in upper division classes.

I guess what I'm saying is that the focus shouldn't be on work.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Heck no.
I had a job and could afford a car, which allowed me to drive to school and whichever restaurant I felt like dining at.
Crazy huh, all that personal responsibilty at such a young age?
I don't know how I survived
Meh, I had 2 jobs by the time I was 17, this was my first car, and yes, I bought it myself.
Personally, I wouldnt do it again. (the jobs, not the car)
Attached Thumbnails
Tea Party Gov of Maine wants to bring back child labor-i232149.jpg  

Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Surprise! There already is a sub-minimum wage law:

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Wages - Subminimum Wage

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) provides for the employment of certain individuals at wage rates below the minimum wage. These individuals include student-learners (vocational education students), as well as full-time students employed by retail or service establishments, agriculture, or institutions of higher education. Also included are individuals whose earning or productive capacity is impaired by a physical or mental disability, including those related to age or injury, for the work to be performed.

Employment at less than the minimum wage is designed to prevent the loss of employment opportunities for these individuals.
Certificates issued by the Department of Labor’s Wage & Hour Division are required for this type of employment.

The youth minimum wage is authorized by the FLSA, which allows employers to pay employees under 20 years of age a lower wage for 90 calendar days after they are first employed. Any wage rate above $4.25 an hour may be paid to eligible workers during this 90-day period

Govt. website

There is plenty of research that shows that working more than 20 hours a week is bad for high school student's grades. I never heard of a HS senior attending school less than full time.

As usual you form your opinions and make claims on subjects you no nothing about.

Because YOU have never heard of it doesn't make it so.

My grandson in his senior year of high school was only required to take ONE course, senior English, because he had already fulfilled all the other requirements. The school offered some college level classes so he took them. He could have attended the Community College.

My granddaughter took classes at the local Community College in her senior year instead of taking some useless elective classes.

Many kids today have the required credits, except maybe for senior English, to graduate early,

And this isn't new. In my senior year, 1965, we had many students in a "Work for Credit" program. They attended class half day and worked have day.

Please do some research before making blanket statements, "I never heard of a HS senior attending school less than full time".

Old 04-02-2011, 08:27 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
This is the ultimate goal of the hard right tea party. Abolish the middle class and labor laws. Open sweat shops, no benefits, no environmental control, child labor, working 12-16 hours a day, making pennies an hour at best, turn the US into a third world country while the fat cats laugh all the way to the bank.
Right, and I have a bridge to sell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies