Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 02:09 PM

563 posts, read 929,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Bad analogy. Martin Luther's beef with the Catholic Church was theological and he was attempting to correct the abuses of his time. What he did was totally different from what this no-name pastor, whose motive was self-aggrandizement, did.

I guess I'm the only one posting on this thread that sees the danger and irresponsibility of deliberately stirring up a hornets nest.
Not quite. See post 358. But you have the lead, keep pressing on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 02:22 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:
The murders of those innocent UN workers is not isolated from the preacher's actions. I don't hold the preacher responsible for them and no where did I indicate such.

One thing leads to another. Unprotected sex leads to babies. Over-indulgence in alcohol leads to hangovers. Overeating leads to obesity. Stirring a hornets next leads to a lot of angry hornets. Deliberately burning a Koran--and then publicizing it--is going to lead to irrational responses from violence-prone Muslims. I completely support his right to burn a Koran. Publicizing it is nothing more than an in-your-face insult to Muslims everywhere and no rational person can expect a good outcome from such an action.
People aren't hornets. The only insult to Muslims is the presumption they will act like insects unless we wear protective gear. If Muslims cannot learn to deal with the marketplace of ideas they need to stay away from the marketplace.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:40 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
People aren't hornets. The only insult to Muslims is the presumption they will act like insects unless we wear protective gear. If Muslims cannot learn to deal with the marketplace of ideas they need to stay away from the marketplace.

I view the burning of the Koran and then publicizing it as a public insult to Muslims everywhere. Perhaps you don't.....

Old 04-03-2011, 02:41 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
I view the burning of the Koran and then publicizing it as a public insult to Muslims everywhere. Perhaps you don't.....
worthy of murder??????

Old 04-03-2011, 02:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
worthy of murder??????
No, but the pastor knew it result in the murder of innocents. He didn't care as long as he got his 15 minutes of fame.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
So what if it is? Who cares? Are we now supposed to outlaw harmless actions just because they are insulting to Muslims?

Honestly all this nonsense does is make me hold Islam in even greater contempt.

Shall I now get indicted on the grounds I'm guilty of a hate crime for saying so?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
So what if it? Who cares? Are we now supposed to outlaw harmless actions just because they are insulting to Muslims?

Honestly all nonsense does is make me hold Islam in even greater contempt.

Shall I now get indicted on the grounds I'm guilty of a hate crime for saying so?
How can you refer to what Pastor Terry Jones did as a harmless action? This human piece of carp who considers himself a man of God knew that burning the Quran would result in the death of innocents.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:58 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
However, they claim to be the religion of peace so this would have been an opportunity to lead by example. Instead, they revealed themselves to be the religion of rage and violence.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:00 PM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
How can you refer to what Pastor Terry Jones did as a harmless action? This human piece of carp who considers himself a man of God knew that burning the Quran would result in the death of innocents.
Let me pose a question to you. Those that lead the civil rights movements in the 60s knew they were inciting violent responses. They broke the law of the time. By your logic, they are responsible for all those that died as a result of their actions.

Do you condemn them and hold them responsible for the blood that was shed? Or do you, as I do, hold them up as an example for fighting evil and injustice?

Old 04-03-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
You should be indicted on the grounds of stupidity.

Why?

Because I dislike an ideology that is highly sexist, homophobic and anti-Semitic? Because I dislike an ideology where adherents are literally right now telling me that murder is okay because someone around the world from them burned a book?

Islam is not immune from criticism. Nothing is. If people cannot learn to deal with that fact they should stay in their villages and do nothing. Don't read newspapers. Don't turn on the television. Don't go on the net. Someone might offend you! And then you can go out and kill people!

Really. Since when are Americans supposed to honor the wishes of a group of violent thugs? Worse, indict our own citizens and throw out our deepest principles solely because said thugs cannot behave like grown ups?

Either Western civilization stands with this pastor and his right to burn his own book or it stands for literally nothing at all. And in that case we should just drop the pretense and adopt Islamic theocracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies