Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 06:38 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Am I the only one that sees the irony in the fact that the religion of peace protested and killed people because someone said they were violent people and burned their book because of it?
I don't think anyone here is trying to make excuses for the barbarians.

Quote:
Honestly...like Christians have never had anyone mistreat our Bible? Are there pictures of our riots on the news daily? Do we kill people every day to show how peaceful we are?
You used to.

And some of you would again if you thought you could get away with it. This so-called pastor certainly did not care that innocent people were going to be killed because of his stupid stunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The logic is as convoluted
<Irrelevant BS deleted.>

Nothing convoluted about it.

The barbarians are directly responsible.

This stupid pastor is indirectly responsible. He's not criminally responsible, but he is morally and ethically responsible. He knew that innocent people would die because of what he did.

And he did it anyway. I just have to shake my head at the morally bankrupt people on this thread that seem to think this is "convoluted logic."

Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
<Irrelevant BS deleted.>

Nothing convoluted about it.

The barbarians are directly responsible.

This stupid pastor is indirectly responsible. He's not criminally responsible, but he is morally and ethically responsible. He knew that innocent people would die because of what he did.

And he did it anyway. I just have to shake my head at the morally bankrupt people on this thread that seem to think this is "convoluted logic."
Meh, then I am indirectly responsible for creating unemployment in America since my research relies on automating human tasks.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
It is his fault to a degree. That doesn't exonerate the barbarians that did the killing in any way.

But he knew that people would die because of what he did, and he did it anyway.

So yeah, he does bear some responsibility for the deaths.

He's also SCREWING UP OUR INTERNATIONAL STRATEGY.
Just for curiosity's sake, as a theoretical experiement - do you see any legal argument that could be made against Jones in this case? While I no doubt think the court would upheld this as a 1st Amendment issue, could it be argued that some tort (negligence) was involved?

I believe he certainly had reasonable foresight that his actions would result in injury to others based on the entire government telling him this exact thing would happen and him doing this to intentionally stir up violence to prove his point. But I'm not really sure we can place a duty of care on Jones and conclude that he breached it. And while he didn't directly cause harm to anyone, his actions increased the risk of harm which I believe can meet the causation requirement.

Definitely a long shot, but it makes an interesting legal question.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:45 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Just for curiosity's sake, as a theoretical experiement - do you see any legal argument that could be made against Jones in this case? While I no doubt think the court would upheld this as a 1st Amendment issue, could it be argued that some tort (negligence) was involved?

I believe he certainly had reasonable foresight that his actions would result in injury to others based on the entire government telling him this exact thing would happen and him doing this to intentionally stir up violence to prove his point. But I'm not really sure we can place a duty of care on Jones and conclude that he breached it. And while he didn't directly cause harm to anyone, his actions increased the risk of harm which I believe can meet the causation requirement.

Definitely a long shot, but it makes an interesting legal question.
The act also happened outside of the united states by non-citizens. It complicates the matter somewhat. The argument could be made that the UN workers were already putting themselves in harm's way by being employed in a war zone.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Meh, then I am indirectly responsible for creating unemployment in America since my research relies on automating human tasks.

To some negligible degree.

But that does not compare to doing something that you know will directly result in the DEATH of innocent people, as well as hampering our country's efforts overseas.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:46 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:

This so-called pastor certainly did not care that innocent people were going to be killed because of his stupid stunt.
No, he didn't. He disregarded any consequences his actions were likely to lead to--that once his actions received wide publicity, a violent killing spree by radical Muslims would ensue. Utterly predictable. Utterly irresponsible.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:48 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Am I the only one that sees the irony in the fact that the religion of peace protested and killed people because someone said they were violent people and burned their book because of it?

Honestly...like Christians have never had anyone mistreat our Bible? Are there pictures of our riots on the news daily? Do we kill people every day to show how peaceful we are?
Christians used to. They don't anymore because Christianity is primarily in the western world, where that kind of behavior is much harder to get away with.

Conservatives have instead chosen more subtle means, like attacking people through laws or under the protection of the 1st Amendment.

But, there are still Christian terrorists who pop up occasionally and assassinate OB/GYNs or bomb abortion clinics or beat gays senseless and tie them to fences to die.

Moral of the story - extremism is bad in any scenario, be it Islam, Christian, Jew, Atheist, Liberal, etc.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:49 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:

You used to.

And some of you would again if you thought you could get away with it. This so-called pastor certainly did not care that innocent people were going to be killed because of his stupid stunt.
At some point we need to stop blaming anyone but the barbarians. Was this guy right to do what he did? No. But a peaceful religion doesn't riot every time someone looks cross-eyed at their "prophet".

Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
What do they think happens to Korans when they blow each other's mosques up? Don't they burn? I guess, if infidels do it then its ok to just grab any foreigner they find and behead them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies