Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times

Advertisements

What I mean is that simply being armed is no assurance of safety from being killed in a shooting spree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 06:55 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Crime results from the deficiencies of society. Arms are just the easiest way to keep the symptoms at bay without addressing the causes.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:58 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Default circling and nipping at your tail = ***free zones

Gun free, drug free zones are a laughable and ineffective approach to solving problems. When someone suggests a ******free zone it means they are out of ideas.

Firearm bearing crimminals do not subscibe to laws so laws are useless in that regard. The mindset that embraces more restrictive, feel good laws might be considered redirected problem solving or simply political resume building at the expense of our freedoms.

Consider that each crimminal act generates fumbling legislation that nibbles away at our freedom.

Post WW2 the US population had unfettered acces to tons of firearms. The 59 BSA manual had 12 ads for firearms. S Kliens on the Square used to sell foreign military rifles, like the 6.5 carcano that Oswald used, for less than $30. We were awash in firearms and any murder made the front page. Newark NJ had on month free of murder since the 70s and the currrent admins blind and rabid political minions, along with the media, did their best to suggest their hero was the cause for the effect of a month without murder. With representatives like that our problems will never be solved or even addressed.

So what has changed?

Gangs proliferated, families disintegrated, instant communications to bolster and strengthen criminal deviants who previously lived their lives in isolation and believed they were the only ones who felt that way. Religious influence has been repalced with a swirling labrynth of legislation the man on the street cannot decifer. the high priests of our society, lawyers, must be invoked to interpret, appeal and reverse the rules to such an extent no one knows what the rules are. Prisons run by the inmates are the new higher education we support as we funnel enough money to incarcerate a bad guy as it would take to send a kid to college.

Throw in the latest social scientist papp mingled with governmental protectionism and again add a good dollop of lawyers who bring suit against victims of crimes and suddenly gun free school zones seem a viable solution.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:06 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
Sadly, everything you write is true. Thankfully, I live in Florida.

[tablemtn] What I mean is that simply being armed is no assurance of safety from being killed in a shooting spree. [tablemtn]

At least I have the opportunity to defend myself. I practice, as much as I can. I served my country before, maybe I can do it again.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
What I mean is that simply being armed is no assurance of safety from being killed in a shooting spree.
I fully agree with you, in a shooting spree....

But what about one on one? If your a criminal and you suspect someone might have a pistol.....you still willing to take that chance? Or you going to wait for someone who obviously does not have a pistol....

Old 04-03-2011, 12:24 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
But if you are the one patron that is armed in the Luby's Cafeteria ( 1991- 23 dead ) or the McDonald's ( 1984- 22 dead ) , there is a chance you can take the shooter down earlier.. as opposed to all unarmed individuals in both Restaurants..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies