Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:27 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Not getting analogies. That's another common Aspie trait.

OK folks, I think we have a diagnosis. imcurious is definitely an Aspie.

LOL! Living in a literal world. It is a good demonstration of Aspie traits, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:24 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
what exactly is a "normal" person? because I haven't met one yet! As for Aspenger's? We used too have a cruel name for it as in "retard"! Now we know the difference and it's no longer funny! Anybody who thinks that a child who has devolopmental issues needs their head examined!
Thank you MiamiRob, at least for your honesty, i truly appreciate it. No it is not funny at all, because from the time a Parents suspects that their child has a problem there are many many tests involved, before the finding diagnosis is made. People do not simply understand, these are not all paid testing, the parents are told testing they have to do themselves in their home with the child. There are things the parents must look for, they do not want to give a false diagnosis as some on here think, it is simply not that way. Thank you for showing compassion, which i will take anyday over ignorance.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
what exactly is a "normal" person? because I haven't met one yet! As for Aspenger's? We used too have a cruel name for it as in "retard"! Now we know the difference and it's no longer funny! Anybody who thinks that a child who has devolopmental issues needs their head examined!
I was called Frankenstein. Or science. And MR as well. My only real friend as a kid that was a kid was a girl with a badly scared face. I couldn't read until the 6th grade. Not fun.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninintothevoid View Post
I can't vouch for if Asperger's is overdiagnosed now, but I will refute all the comments here that the disorder is imaginary. My brother had/has Asperger's, and while it was a somewhat mild case, it certainly wasn't a case of being "social awkward" and introverted. There are certain specific signs that lead to a diagnosis. In his case there was repetitive hand motions, obsession over trivial topics, awkward body movements when running or engaging in any physical activity, a seeming lack of empathy or capacity to understand human emotion. He was picked on constantly throughout most of his childhood and was considered special ed and slow early on in school. It turns out he was closer to brilliant in the things he was well suited for. Without professional help, this kid would have ended up bagging groceries for the rest of his life and you would end up furious at the bagger for getting distracted and talking about a species of insect he found outside that day. Instead, through therapy at a young age he was able to develop coping mechanisms that enabled him to function as a normal adult. Instead of focusing his unique abilities at memorizing specie names from an insect guide, he was able to go to college and succeed in a computer science field. The disorder is a form of high functioning autism with its own specific set of characteristics that can often be treated at an early age through therapy. To discredit the disorder due to a perceived increase in diagnosis is offensive.
Sooo.....you're saying in effect that a dude who bags groceries for a living and is a bit physically awkward, yet has extreme interest in some specific things that others might find mundane isn't leading a normal life?
Sure he is. Just because the guy may be a bit different doesn't deem him worthy to being labled with a mental/emotional disorder.
You're simply making my point for me: these days parents and the mental health industry are way too willing to diagnose someone who's a litle outside the box with a psychological malady. Whatever happened to just being different or eccentric?
The mental health peeps are simply trying to insure job security and a need forr their services by constantly coming-up with new psuedo-illnesses. It's like those government entities who get a multi-million dollar grant to study the effects of cow flatulence on global warming.
In other words: it's about the benjamins: not the patients.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I was pointing out that your analogy is quite ridiculous . . .

It is not just minutia to focus on the the propensity for some people to over-identify with their "disease" as in adopting pet names for it such as "Aspie," which sounds very cute, but as I understand it, this condition is anything BUT cute, hence your attempt to link cute dogs (Yorkies) with a terrible "disorder" (Asperger's Syndrome) is an analogy that makes no sense.

And, no, I don't belong to your "club" but thanks for the invite.
Wow, my humor went right over your head, despite 4 smilies. Are you sure you're not Asperger's? [Note: This is also being said half-heartedly and not to be taken too seriously.]

I didn't make the Aspie/Yorkie-Y.T./A.S. analogy. All I did was inform you of the blindie/sightie/hearie/deafie/wheelie/walkie terms that are used in the respective communities. Those people, even though they're not A.S./Asperger's/Aspie/Asparagus/Alfalfa/John, seem to have no problem using cutesy terms that end in -ie to refer to their conditions.

But hey, if Aspie doesn't fly with you, then don't use it. Personally, I love the term. It sure is easier to say than Asperger's, which to me sounds worse cause it makes me think of burgers, and A.S. makes me think of auris sinister, the Latin term audiologists use to refer to the left ear. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 04-04-2011 at 10:23 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Wow, my humor went right over your head, despite 4 smilies. Are you sure you're not Asperger's? [Note: This is also being said half-heartedly and not to be taken too seriously.]

I didn't make the Aspie/Yorkie-Y.T./A.S. analogy. All I did was inform you of the blindie/sightie/hearie/deafie/wheelie/walkie terms that are used in the respective communities. Those people, even though they're not A.S./Asperger's/Aspie/Asparagus/Alfalfa/John, seem to have no problem using cutesy terms that end in -ie to refer to their conditions.

But hey, if Aspie doesn't fly with you, then don't use it. Personally, I love the term. It sure is easier to say than Asperger's, which to me sounds worse cause it makes me think of burgers, and A.S. makes me think of auris sinister, the Latin term audiologists use to refer to the left ear. Different strokes for different folks.
Yup, that's right; it was me. I have this funny idea that people can call their disorders by cutesy names if they like. Usually, it's done out of humor or convenience.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Yup, that's right; it was me. I have this funny idea that people can call their disorders by cutesy names if they like. Usually, it's done out of humor or convenience.
Or both at the same time. I used to just call myself Helen Keller when I was deaf-blind. People seem to get that more than "deaf-blind" which they thought either meant "deaf" or "blind."

Plus, being able to laugh about your disability helps to break the ice. Between an Aspie and an NT, someone needs to break the ice, and usually the Aspie won't pick up on the NT's ice-breaker, so they have to do the ice-breaking.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Or both at the same time. I used to just call myself Helen Keller when I was deaf-blind. People seem to get that more than "deaf-blind" which they thought either meant "deaf" or "blind."

Plus, being able to laugh about your disability helps to break the ice. Between an Aspie and an NT, someone needs to break the ice, and usually the Aspie won't pick up on the NT's ice-breaker, so they have to do the ice-breaking.
Good point. When I was married to my blind first husband, the favored joke at gatherings was "what, are you blind?" when someone ran into something or knocked something over. My deaf friends enjoyed a variation on this.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Good point. When I was married to my blind first husband, the favored joke at gatherings was "what, are you blind?" when someone ran into something or knocked something over. My deaf friends enjoyed a variation on this.
Lol that's my favorite! Wanted to rep you but couldn't.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:47 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Wow , reading this thread makes me very angry.....You NT's are starting to push your luck....stop attacking us aspies....its a real disorder.....we didn't choose to have this problem interacting......with other people. Now i'm holding back alot of rage towards certain people on this thread....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies