Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:57 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,293,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Sure we saw 'em: they were the ones riding the short bus. But there sure was a helluva lot fewer of them back then than there allegedly are today. I'd say about ten times more today, than, say, 30 years ago when I was in school. And when you have that big of an increase, simple logic dictates that's what's really changed is the propensity of the mis-diagnoses. My Lord, back when I was in school, every classroom had a class clown or cut-up or rowdy kid, who was perfectly normal, but just behaved outside the box a bit.
Nowadays that kid would be labled ADHD and fed some Ritalin!
And you have it back-asswards about how they "mainstream kids with issues." It's rather that the mainstream, normal--but a little different--kids are being too quickly slapped with mental illness lables.
You'll see: the absurd over-diagnosis of Asperger's and ADHD and Autism is going to have a backlash with the health care and insurance industries, to where they will no longer cover--or only very minimally cover--kids diagnosed with these lables. It'll be just like what's happened to the substance abuse treatment centers: so many have gone out of businees over the past 10 years because insurance companies no longer cover treatment like they once did. The centers got greedy and saw an opportunity to take advantage of a trendy diagnosis.
<shakes head>

Increases in diagnoses are due to multiple factors, not just the one you think has the worst motive. Read the thread. Read the links. Educate yourself.

PS - it's "label" not "lable".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,139,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
Someone please explain to me why parents of so called aspergers kids say it is so very difficult to live with those kids, and on the other hand, they say that no one would be able to identify an aspergers kid by observing or being around them, which leads one to believe they are so normal you can't tell the difference.

These kids are supposedly very bright, but they are provided with one on one aides at school. It doesn't matter that some other kids have trouble organizing, these kids get someone to do it for them.

The more I hear about aspergers, the angrier I get because it is the latest designer affliction used to get benefits and medication to quiet someone who might just have a lot of energy. It used to be ADD, then ADHD, now it's aspergers.

I know for a fact that some of these kids are labelled because the parent wants special accommodations at school or extra income or insurance. I know this.

a) because it is a SPECTRUM disorder

b) I am so sorry that the unfortunate health problems of others are such an annoyance to you.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,471,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

So you are comparing cute dogs to people with "developmental disabilities" . . .

Not getting analogies. That's another common Aspie trait.

OK folks, I think we have a diagnosis. imcurious is definitely an Aspie.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,936,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Not getting analogies. That's another common Aspie trait.

OK folks, I think we have a diagnosis. imcurious is definitely an Aspie.

I was pointing out that your analogy is quite ridiculous . . .

It is not just minutia to focus on the the propensity for some people to over-identify with their "disease" as in adopting pet names for it such as "Aspie," which sounds very cute, but as I understand it, this condition is anything BUT cute, hence your attempt to link cute dogs (Yorkies) with a terrible "disorder" (Asperger's Syndrome) is an analogy that makes no sense.

And, no, I don't belong to your "club" but thanks for the invite.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM

665 posts, read 1,729,413 times
Quote:

Not "ridiculous" you just don't understand. Big difference.

Aspies have a way of thinking and insight that is very rare in "normal" people.

Always five or six...... or ten steps ahead.

You may be "curious" but you'll never catch up.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:23 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,988,913 times
Quote:

It is not just minutia to focus on the the propensity for some people to over-identify with their "disease" as in adopting pet names for it such as "Aspie," which sounds very cute, but as I understand it, this condition is anything BUT cute, hence your attempt to link cute dogs (Yorkies) with a terrible "disorder" (Asperger's Syndrome) is an analogy that makes no sense.

And, no, I don't belong to your "club" but thanks for the invite.
Black swan theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Read up on it. What defines a black swan event is that it is unforeseeable looking forward but in hindsight it is readily predictable, unless you’ve got Asperger’s. With Aspergers a black swan event is easily foreseeable if you are interested in the subject. Asperger’s is crippling, or it can be. But the only people that are interesting for me to talk with in engineering and physics and chemistry are the ones with PhDs in those subjects. I’ve got a high school diploma. I understand Gravitational theory as good as or better than anyone in the world, the same with thermal dynamics. I’ll put up with the limitations because if I can get the stuff in my head out I’ll be the richest person in the world, ever. I’ll beet Rockefeller and his standard oil company. You don’t even stand a chance at touching my potential. Not even close. I’ve got sever thousand ideas that I need to patent at $1million each that is several billion worth of intellectual property. Some of those ideas are worth billions all by themselves. I’ll take Aspies any day of the week over what you’ve got.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:36 PM

665 posts, read 1,729,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Black swan theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Read up on it. What defines a black swan event is that it is unforeseeable looking forward but in hindsight it is readily predictable, unless you’ve got Asperger’s. With Aspergers a black swan event is easily foreseeable if you are interested in the subject. Asperger’s is crippling, or it can be. But the only people that are interesting for me to talk with in engineering and physics and chemistry are the ones with PhDs in those subjects. I’ve got a high school diploma. I understand Gravitational theory as good as or better than anyone in the world, the same with thermal dynamics. I’ll put up with the limitations because if I can get the stuff in my head out I’ll be the richest person in the world, ever. I’ll beet Rockefeller and his standard oil company. You don’t even stand a chance at touching my potential. Not even close. I’ve got sever thousand ideas that I need to patent at $1million each that is several billion worth of intellectual property. Some of those ideas are worth billions all by themselves. I’ll take Aspies any day of the week over what you’ve got.
do it dude !

Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
do it dude !
Working on it.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,460,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Thank you some are just too dang ignorant too ever get it, the kids i know who do have it, have more compassion then these idiots, who seem to doubt it even exists.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Thank you some are just too dang ignorant too ever get it, the kids i know who do have it, have more compassion then these idiots, who seem to doubt it even exists.
You are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies