Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus;18579475[I
]I'm having a hard time reconciling you calling children 'human waste' with you doing 'good' for them[/i]. If you have that attitude toward them then they know it.
I teach children. I consider that good. That's all. As for human waste, perhaps I should have used a different descriptor. Let me explain. In the little burg where I teach we have a large number of people involved in criminal activities mostly drugs, alcohol, and sexual abuse, of both children and adults. I pretty much consider these people human waste. I don't consider the children human waste, but unless they can avoid statistics they'll end up just like their parents.

I tend to like these kids. Traumitized children are the easiest of all children to like and, for me to work with. However, make no mistake, statistics tell us most of them will become just like their parents.

Quote:
You can hold up the man/woman/lifelong model as much as you like. The model itself doesn't work that well, or there wouldn't be as high a divorce rate as there is. It depends entirely on the people that enter into such a union, not on the union itself.
You are almost right. It's depends not just on the individuals involved but their perceptions of the institution itself.

Quote:
I put it to you that with the children you teach, the fact that their parents are active addicts and impoverished has just as much if not more to do with the kids' plight as their marital status.
This is a "what came first the chicken or the egg" argument. I do know they and their children would be better off if they no longer did drugs and married for life.

Quote:
I'll take a gay couple that has had to go above and beyond to have a child and commit to that child over a loveless, bickering, abusive marriage where the children are ignored by two heterosexual parents all their lives any day.
I'll take a practicing christian couple any day over your homosexual ones for raising well adjusted children.

Quote:
You can have situations where some married parents do just as much harm to their children as some single parents.
I'm talking about the relative values of the models not random outlier couples.

Quote:
It does and will always depend on the person raising the kids, not some fairytale whereby all marriages are perfect and all children raised in homes inhabited by two biological parents will be fine and dandy.
The male/female/lifetime marriage model works, period. Come back to me in twenty years and tell me about homosexual marriage and child rearing. Until then I have a functioning model and you have............yet more experimentation with the basic family unit. Experimentation that has done irreparable harm to countless human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Who says they see it as a mistake? Many poor people see children as a blessing regardless of their situation.
That has to do with the culture of the individuals involved.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:57 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Link to back that up please...
From the OP's article:

Quote:
The new data, pulled from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth, shows that this kind of family structure is found at all levels of income and education. And it’s frequently tied to divorce and remarriage, not just to single motherhood, Dorius says. Forty-three percent of the women with kids with multiple dads were married when their first babies were born.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
From the OP's article:
That doesn't back up your claim of "most" though.
I thought you had another link with actual numbers.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
I guess they figure everyone in Washington is sharing in the pork..why not them

Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What a sad legacy of women's lib and the sexual revolution.

Winning the future!

Quote:
Dorius’ study, which was presented Friday at the annual meeting of the Population Association of America, examined data from nearly 4,000 U.S. women who had been interviewed more than 20 times over a 27-year period.

This phenomenon is important to study, Dorius says, because there are consequences to both the mom and her children. Women with children from multiple fathers tend to be disadvantaged compared to other moms. “They are more likely to be under-employed, to have lower incomes, and to be less educated,” Dorius says.

Let's see 2010 -27 years equals 1983, subtract another 19 years, or one generation after the Great Society of LBJ which urshered in welfare support of fatherless families and then resulted in the destruction of the Black family. Before 1964 70% of the Black family was in tact with both mother and father, after LBJ's Great Society, the number plunges today to 30%.

By not holding certain men responsible for their own children has certainly contributed to what we see in society today. Thanks LBJ.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
First of all, I don't think that this study has established that this is a new thing. I don't think it was all that uncommon prior to women's lib for women to have children with multiple fathers. Younger women married older men. Life expectancy was shorter, so their husbands died. Women remarried, and had more children.

Women and men have often had children with multiple partners. That doesn't seem problematic to me. I think for conservatives the real issue is children in single-parent homes.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What a sad legacy of women's lib and the sexual revolution.

Winning the future!
Are you saying they are bunch of Whores?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That doesn't back up your claim of "most" though.
I thought you had another link with actual numbers.
I didn't say "most" I said a large number. Which is really not rocket science, considering the amount of second marriages and the husbands who want their own biological children in addition to their step children.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
First of all, I don't think that this study has established that this is a new thing. I don't think it was all that uncommon prior to women's lib for women to have children with multiple fathers. Younger women married older men. Life expectancy was shorter, so their husbands died. Women remarried, and had more children.

Women and men have often had children with multiple partners. That doesn't seem problematic to me. I think for conservatives the real issue is children in single-parent homes.
The real problem is the perpetual cycle of fatherless families in poverty that are supported and the result of government social programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies