Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 03:37 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, while all bullying is an issue - gays face the most severe cases of it. LGBT teens have the highest rates of suicide of any other group due to issues like bullying.
These suicides are not due to bullying. They are due to emotionally and mentally unstable teens who need professional psychiatric help.

Bullying does not cause suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 03:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Oh brother, this is ridiculous.

Why only protest about bullying against the homosexuals? What about the kids getting bullied because he wears glasses, or has pimples, is awkward, has a weird voice, walks weird, is slow or is a loner... what about people getting bullied because of those reasons?

If we're going to stand up against bullying, it should ALL forms of bullying, not just "homophobic" ones.
Another person who is afraid of the word "gay", obviously. I find it a little amusing that some of you react this way.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Yeah. People are going to be bullied for a thousand different reasons, like it or not. You can "teach" people about homosexuality and tolerance all you want, but kids are still going to bully. My solution? Deal with it.

Unless it goes beyond normal bullying and leads to someone getting hurt, deal with it like everyone else has dealt with bullying for the last how many years.

Toughen up and deal with it. Bullying sucks but it happens and no amount of sensitivity training and tolerance will stop it.
How about racial epithets? Should those be accepted as well? Yes, there will always be bullying, but to say that we should just accept it as normal is pretty low-minded.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I know it's ridiculous, today's youth aren't even being taught how to handle things because we have to sugarcoat everything to not "offend" anyone.
So anti-gay slurs should be fine, huh? How about if the hetero boys start yelling sexual comments about the girls in the hallways? Or how about if the white kids yell "******" at the blacks? Should the teachers just say, "Oh well. Kids will be kids."?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-03-2011 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-02-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
All boys should learn to fight early on. Gay, straight, confused, bi, gentle, whatever his "choice" .. If a boy learns to defend himself then he'll only get bullied once, if at all.
Oh, great. So we should teach kids that physical violence is the solution to bullying. Yeah, that would be really civilized. I'm sure that would really foster a great learning environment for everyone.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:44 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Bullying not allowed, what does bullying teach anyways, that in a group of other kids who believe their tough, and will target in on someone weaker, makes them tough.

I hate to say this, get mad really don't care, but i have seen teenagers who bully their own parents and the parents shrug it off, like teenagers are suppose to act like this, well if your going to bully your own Parents, and they don't disipline their child for those actions, what do you expect.

Bullying in any capacity is just plain wrong, sending the wrong message.

Some parents just need to stop trying to be their kids best friends, and disipline when your kids need it. Some bullys i knew when i was small, put a good front up in front of elders, but watch out when they were in a group of popular kids, picking on someone who was weaker, they were no longer the kids i knew, mean, heartless and just plain cruel, you know even then i can remember parents sticking up for their kids, saying all kids bully, Bull.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:48 PM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
It's obvious we need more laws!!!!
Maybe thought crimes should be implemented?
Then the ultimate bully (government) can kick some *** on the playground.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 04-02-2011 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 03:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh, great. So we should teach kids that physical violence is the solution to bullying. Yeah, that would be really civilized. I'm sure that would really foster a great learning environment for everyone.
yep, you got it right. I don't know how you were raised but even as a girl I was raised to do one of two things: either set the other side straight or just walk away. I was bullied, most of us were in some way and I probably did my share of bullying along the way. We all grew up, we grew into respectiable adults and contruibuted to society.

Nita

Old 04-02-2011, 03:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
The bullies are people with authority in most cases. The in fighting amongst people at the bottom is manufactured by hegemony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Stand up against bullies in general, Who cares who or what the victim is, we shouldn't stand for bullying in any way, shape or form.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:56 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
These suicides are not due to bullying. They are due to emotionally and mentally unstable teens who need professional psychiatric help.

Bullying does not cause suicide.
Yes, actually it does. As evident by the all the young kids recently who were bullied in school for being gay or perceived gay, and then went to kill themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies