Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 05:54 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times

Advertisements

Everybody gets bullied, it’s better to teach a kid how to stand up to one than to cry and run away. Bullying doesn’t end with childhood a kid should be prepared to handle real life instead of some fantasy world
Teach a kid to be a crying little victim now and it will follow him through the rest of his life and someday he will be on a forum crying about it.
I thought the video was lame and it wouldn’t happen in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 06:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But its my opinion that anyone who commits suicide wasn't worth saving.
Good god. I'm just glad I don't share your lack of empathy for people who are clinically depressed or going through a rough patch in life.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good god. I'm just glad I don't share your lack of empathy for people who are clinically depressed or going through a rough patch in life.
No excuse for suicide outside of extreme pain when you are going to die from the disease anyway.

Someone in the deaththrows of cancer, I understand. When someone has been called a name, I don't understand that.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
California huh,

What is this regression you speak of?

If a kid has to defend himself, what advise do you give?

The adversary, fists clenched, says, "I'm gonna kick your ass".

Do you instruct your kid to yell out - "My Dad says It's perplexing to me that some of you think we should actually regress"?

I'm here to tell ya .. your west coast utopia is never going to arrive.

Scrap, scrap, can't scrap, must watch MSNBC.

MSNBC - ahh - so soothing.
How ridiculous. Violence is not the solution to bullying. We're not animals. We're humans, and we're capable of handling conflicts in a civilized way. It does take work, though. You have to use your brain, and use some restraint in the way you respond to problems.

And your comments about California and MSNBC are nonsense.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
No excuse for suicide outside of extreme pain when you are going to die from the disease anyway.

Someone in the deaththrows of cancer, I understand. When someone has been called a name, I don't understand that.
There's an in-between there. Lots of people commit suicide because they're extremely lonely, socially isolated, or see no solution to their problems. Are they not worth "saving", as you put it?

Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
There's an in-between there. Lots of people commit suicide because they're extremely lonely, socially isolated, or see no solution to their problems. Are they not worth "saving", as you put it?
I can't stop anyone from killing themselves, and I shouldn't change my behavior to do so.

There are gray areas in every subject, yes.

My personal belief is, despite how lonely, how socially isolated, and no matter what solutions may not seem available to you, there is no reason for suicide unless you are going to die a horribly painful death.

People on top of the world trade center, people with late stage bone cancer, etc, those people I understand.

Because I have no one to talk to, or because someone has called me a derogatory name, that I will never understand, and there is nothing I can do to help those people.

I have no empathy for anyone who would throw away such a gift as life, for no reason other than they are not happy.

If you're not happy, change your life. Making excuses for suicide cases gives justification to the act, which only serves to make it easier for the next person to do it.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:45 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,097 times
Quote:
How ridiculous. Violence is not the solution to bullying. We're not animals. We're humans, and we're capable of handling conflicts in a civilized way. It does take work, though. You have to use your brain, and use some restraint in the way you respond to problems.

And your comments about California and MSNBC are nonsense.

" We are not animals ,we're humans" ?????

last biology class I took said that we were not plants and since no man is an island I guess we are animals.

If your boat was a victim of piracy off the coast of Somalia you would want nothing more than to be rescued by the US Navy SEALs anti-bullying team.

They would probably use violence to rescue you.

My 9 year old daughter was bullied in her school by a spoilt brat boy right up until the time he saw her do a karate demonstration at a school function. Now he's nice as pie.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Yes, actually it does. As evident by the all the young kids recently who were bullied in school for being gay or perceived gay, and then went to kill themselves.
sorry, my heart goes out to any teen and to their families when they see no out but suicide, but it isn't due to bullying. People who choose to end thier lives have deep mental problems. It is easy to blame the other side, this doesn't mean the reason for a person taking his/her life is that simple.

Nita

Old 04-02-2011, 06:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
What the hell happened to "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me".

If someone called me a skinny redneck white boy, and insinuate that I'm stupid because I'm from the south, I would simply correct them, and then go on about my way.

I'm not a homophobe, I support gay marriage, I have gay friends, and I think that homosexuals should be treated just like everyone else. But if someone says something about you that isn't true, that doesn't mean we should have huge movements to change peoples vocabulary, and we shouldn't pass laws to try and make words illegal that hurt someones feelings.

I like my right to hurt peoples feelings.

Freaking right wing closet homosexuals tapping their feet under bathroom stalls to do what comes natural to them.

See, I'm sure someone will find that statement upsetting. But you know what, I don't care. If its not true, why the uproar?
I know you appear to be anything but a right winger. I do not always agree with you, but you have hit the nail on the head. I am getting tired of blaming others for things that a person chooses to do with his/her life.

Nita

Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Bullying is learned at home, from parents and from our media and society in general...

In many cases it is not only tolerated but actually condoned and encouraged........even by innocuous statements such as....."that dude throws like a fairy".....now what would a child learn from that statement.........GROW UP!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-03-2011 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies