Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
well I dont drink and drive. but I live in a rural area so I also never go out and have even 1 beer anymore as the limits are so low I could loose my licence in a minor fenderbender and not be able to work anymore. The feds threatened my state by withholding road money if they didnt drop dui to .08 and dwi to .05 so here we are.The true drunks ruined it for everyone and the gov went too far as usual. so of course business gets hurt
I agree. The same happened in our state. I never go out anymore and if my spouse goes I take him and pick him up. It works I guess. But sometimes you have to wonder how much fun there is to life if you can't relax with your friends occasionally. WHEN they legalize pot I wonder how they will moniter it. Will there be "bars" that you can light up a joint as long as you walk 100 yards away from the front door to light a cigarrete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Just another example of government interfering in the lives of people.
All Americans, everywhere should be able to drink as much as they want and be allowed to drive in whatever condition they are.
Get big government out of people's lives!

I know you posted this in jest, but you are not far from the truth.

DUI limits are arbitrary and some of the tests can be misleading or just wrong. For example, let's say you have two quick drinks, then get into your car for a 5 minute drive home. If you get stopped and do a breathalyzer test, you will have a high reading, but the alcohol will not have reached your blood stream and will not have impacted your ability to drive. So, it's certainly inaccurate in terms of identifying impaired drivers.

And at the arbitrary percentage used, many can drive just fine while others might be impaired at half the same rate.

So cops shouldn't focus on a blood alcohol percent, but rather focus on drivers who are misbehaving.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
It's hard to believe that Nancy Pelosi isn't drunk all the time.
Biden? Probably sniffed glue for twenty years.
Reid? Just plain stupid.
Hillary? Almost bitchy enough to have broken the glass ceiling.
Barack Hussein? Brain Damage. Get's encouragement from Howard Dean.
Based on these comments, to me, it does not feel like it is Biden who is sniffing glue, or that Hillary is being bitchy or that B Hussain has brain damage. Maybe, it is someone else??

Last edited by calmdude; 04-02-2011 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
well I dont drink and drive. but I live in a rural area so I also never go out and have even 1 beer anymore as the limits are so low I could loose my licence in a minor fenderbender and not be able to work anymore. The feds threatened my state by withholding road money if they didnt drop dui to .08 and dwi to .05 so here we are.The true drunks ruined it for everyone and the gov went too far as usual. so of course business gets hurt

But that's quite normal, isn't it. Government almost always goes too far.

I suspect that almost all alcohol caused accidents are by people who are at double or triple the legal limit (true drunks). And those people don't care. So the rest of us get inconvenienced by a ridiculously low limit that probably has little or no positive impact on drunk driving.

And why do we allow the Feds to control drunk driving???? I wonder what there source of authority is.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I agree. The same happened in our state. I never go out anymore and if my spouse goes I take him and pick him up. It works I guess. But sometimes you have to wonder how much fun there is to life if you can't relax with your friends occasionally. WHEN they legalize pot I wonder how they will moniter it. Will there be "bars" that you can light up a joint as long as you walk 100 yards away from the front door to light a cigarrete?
When government seeks to determine personal behavior they always get it wrong.

We don't go out nearly as much as we used to due to the silly DUI laws and Gestapo style roadblocks. So, just sit on the deck, listen to music and light up whatever we have handy.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:42 PM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I suspect that almost all alcohol caused accidents are by people who are at double or triple the legal limit (true drunks). And those people don't care. So the rest of us get inconvenienced by a ridiculously low limit that probably has little or no positive impact on drunk driving.
Probably true, but it's a bit hard to make individualized impairment level tests, and it's impossible to administer them before each trip. And it's kinda hard to determine after the crash - was the driver impaired by his 0.08 alcohol level, or was he just a sh.tty driver?

We do know that reaction times, motor skills and cognitive skills drop measurably before 0.08 for over 50% of test subjects. Will most be able to get home most of the time with a BAC of 0.08 or higher? Undoubtedly. Most trips don't even put the driver in a situation where reflexes are critical. But some do, and it's perfectly fair to insist that people abstain from driving if they've impaired their capability to do so safely.

While a fixed limit is imperfect, post-accident prosecution is more so.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Just another example of government interfering in the lives of people.
All Americans, everywhere should be able to drink as much as they want and be allowed to drive in whatever condition they are.
Get big government out of people's lives!
i do hope you are kidding with this post. i have been hit by a drunk driver many years ago, before the stiffer DUI laws took effect. i was stopped at a traffic light when he rear ended me, and a pick up trunk in the lane nest to me. the sad thing was i got two tickets, the drunk driver got NONE!!! not only that he was released to go home rather than be taken to jail where the SOB belonged. too many people die because some idiots decide to drink all the alcohol they can, and then get behind the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Whether you agree with him or not is irrelevant. In places like Montana where you have to drive everywhere, drinking and driving has almost become second nature to many. What do high school students do when they are at a party on an acreage 20 mins away from home? It's not like a metropolitan area where you can just call a cab and be on your way. As uncomfortable as it is, that's the way he was brought up... (I am against drinking and driving, but it's going to happen in places like Montana)
drinking and driving is going top happen every where, but we can limit it as much as possible with tough DUI laws. we dont have to get as tough as say bolivia, you get caught driving drunk there and you never do it again, because they EXECUTE YOU ON THE SPOT! in turkey they not only throw you in jail, but your family with you.

if someone wants to go out drinking for the night, then they need to be responsible and either go by cab, or find someone who will stay sober to drive them home. there is no excuse anymore for driving drunk.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:18 PM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we dont have to get as tough as say bolivia, you get caught driving drunk there and you never do it again, because they EXECUTE YOU ON THE SPOT! in turkey they not only throw you in jail, but your family with you.
That may be overdoing it just a tad... I like the Northern European version (which admittedly I grew up with) - massive stigma (shared with everyone present - "You let him drive home? How could you?") and serious, income-regulated fines.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That may be overdoing it just a tad... I like the Northern European version (which admittedly I grew up with) - massive stigma (shared with everyone present - "You let him drive home? How could you?") and serious, income-regulated fines.
and i agree with you that some countries go overboard in preventing DUIs, however this country doesnt go far enough.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:50 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Fact is our laws are written stupidly and by emotion,as bad as other countries.having a beer with your co workers at the end of the day will turn your life upside down. The lawyers,counselors and the local gov will rape you for that whole 10 grand it will cost you.just not worth it anymore to have a beer. I live in fear of my gov one slip up and its jail Mr citizen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies