Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:42 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
My point is, how do we think we are going to "change" people and make them "free" when they act like this?

And I agree that EVERY religion has it's nuts. It just seems like one has more than the other nowadays.
Do you understand the contradiction inherent in the notion of making someone free? Who are we trying to change? Why? Religion is a smokescreen for larger issues here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 01:44 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
It would not surprise me if the Taliban were in the middle of this, stirring up trouble and inciting the people to riot and murder.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:44 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
i gotta agree with you, it is like the three guys sitting around a table, a teabagger, a union worker and a wealthy billionaire. Before them is a plate with 12 cookies on it. The billionaire thinking quickly, reaches in and takes 11 of the cookies off the plate and stuffs them in his pocket. He then turns to the teabagger and says, "you better grab that cookie, I think the union guy wants some of it"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
You are correct on the media spin as well. The govt feeds the media whatever they want the masses to believe...throw in a few twists to keep the "parties " at each others throats and blaming each other...all while they feather their nests.

Look at the way the health care bill was set up. It was all to the benefit of the pharmacuetical companies and insurance companies. Sure, no one could be denied...they just can't afford it when it's offered because it's too high. So they tell the masses to hate fat people or smokers because it's their fault. They want us to fight each other so we aren't watching to see what they are doing.

They are all one and the same. And it ain't good.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95;

And I agree that EVERY religion has it's nuts. It just seems like one has more than the other nowadays.
And you may be right.... among those who subscribe to organized religion, Islam might have the trophy for "violent acts committed in its name" these days. But, is Islam being exploited to justify violent acts and politics, or is it driving violent acts and politics? That's the question. I'm not so sure the answer is clear cut. Radicalist agenda often co-opts religion. In Western Christianity, which has evolved past its violent acts in Christianity's name stage, religion is still exploited to justify bigotry.

The world would be a better place if we were all in a Buddhist frame of mind (IMO, the least apt to create crazy violent followers doing things in its name).

Old 04-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Anger over Quran burning spreads in Afghanistan - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110402/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan - broken link)

Why is whenever someone disagree's with something else that happens in the world (especially in the Middle East), people go on insane rampages, kill each other and destroy THEIR OWN buildings? Now I am sure that if someone burns a Bible here or a flag or whatever, American people are not going to storm a UN building and go on a rampage. It seems this stuff happens daily over there. Why can't we just wash our hands of the entire region? They will NEVER be civilized or understand freedoms. Let's please stop wasting money that we don't have trying to build up a nation that will never resemble a "free" nation.
- Los Angeles.

YouTube - Apr. 1992

Old 04-03-2011, 01:56 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
- Los Angeles.

YouTube - Apr. 1992

You are a little late to the party.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Don't we get most of our imported oil from Canada and Mexico anyway? I keep hearing about all this Middle East oil. My question is, why aren't we taking Iraqi oil and giving it to ourselves? I mean we should have something for all those military, civilian deaths.
It's not about the US getting access to the oil, it's about the international oil corporations getting access to the oil. It's all about the money (and making sure it goes into the right pockets). What else do you think gets presidents elected?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:06 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Humans are supposed to be civilized, I thought anyway.
It's an interesting thought, but there is much evidence to the contrary.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:11 PM

8 posts, read 4,020 times
Quote:
Anger over Quran burning spreads in Afghanistan - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110402/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan - broken link)

Why is whenever someone disagree's with something else that happens in the world (especially in the Middle East), people go on insane rampages, kill each other and destroy THEIR OWN buildings? Now I am sure that if someone burns a Bible here or a flag or whatever, American people are not going to storm a UN building and go on a rampage. It seems this stuff happens daily over there. Why can't we just wash our hands of the entire region? They will NEVER be civilized or understand freedoms. Let's please stop wasting money that we don't have trying to build up a nation that will never resemble a "free" nation.

why?? because religion brainwashes people. I thought everyone knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies