Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:26 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Legal immigration is not a problem, illegal immigration is.

It is a battle in an economic war declared by the wealthy, with the defined purpose of keeping wages for working people down.
They can then claim that the people who oppose illegal immigration, do so due to racism, and in doing so appear as if they are holding the moral high ground.

You have to admit, these guys are good. They have thought this thing thru and are reaping trillions in wealth exploiting it.
Aside from the precarious nature of having an open border where anyone can come across and do us harm...

Can you tell me what is the difference between the two? Legal immigration vs illegal immigration and why one is better then the other?

Our immigration law's have no basis in morality nor should they. They are supposed to be based on what is logically and economically best for this country.

Race does matter! People are generally good and want to be open minded and accepting of other people. But dont tell me it is not an issue. In the small city I Live next to has had massive somali immigration... taxes are going up, crime and services are increasing, schools are flooded with non english speaking students, and frankly their culture is sooo different I dont see how they will ever assimilate.. In a city of roughly 35k people in the last 10 years 6thousand "non whites" ( mostly somali) moved in while 3000 whites left..

As far as I am concerned we are bursting at the seems with immigration period.. legal and illegal.. too much too fast!

An immigration policy based in logic with a goal to make this country stronger would be closing the doors or at least slowing it to a trickle to many of the immigrants that are coming here even legally...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Immigration statistics are the most unreliable, after suicide rates. They only track legal immigrants. Illegals don't bother reporting to the INS when they enter, or when they voluntarily leave.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,695,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Aside from the precarious nature of having an open border where anyone can come across and do us harm...

Can you tell me what is the difference between the two? Legal immigration vs illegal immigration and why one is better then the other?
Legal immigrants follow America's immigration laws.

Illegals do not follow America's immigration laws.

Do you really not know why legal immigrants are better than illegals?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
And the increased immigration both legal and illegal proves that it's not all about jobs and very few jobs were created in 2010. Mexico's unemployment rate is about half of that of the USA, yet they will continue to pour over into the USA.

This is not sustainable, jobs are being exported by the millions, yet millions of people continue to show up here whether they can ever learn a word of English or not, whether they ever had any kind of education or not.

The problem is that even while there are not jobs, the government social programs have no limits on them. It doesn't matter if you have 500,000 on Medicaid and food stamps in some city, 300,000 more can simply show up and be added to the numbers.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And the increased immigration both legal and illegal proves that it's not all about jobs and very few jobs were created in 2010.
It doesn't prove anything. It is not uncommon to see potentially illegal aliens lined up for basic work. Who are they taking jobs away from? If there is someone who must complain, why aren't THEY lined up there instead?

As for legal immigration, most arrive here to do business or work. If they are here to do business, they are into creating jobs. If someone comes to work, there are jobs for them to do here... better than them doing the same job in their home country. No?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Legal immigrants follow America's immigration laws.

Illegals do not follow America's immigration laws.

Do you really not know why legal immigrants are better than illegals?
So when the laws change... that will fix the problem?

A law is a law is a law.... laws can change.. And if the powers that be have their say then most of these people who came here Illegaly will be given amnesty.. and then along with a total revamp of our immigration policy it will be legal immigration just the same...

I am not stupid... I know on the surface the differnence... but I want to know in the broader and deeper picture... what is the difference..

I am telling you that right now there is no real effort by ANY of our illustrious leaders to actually stop illegal immigration as it is...

Their goal is to twist the laws and the system to make it appear on paper that they have stopped illegal immigration... or at least slowed it.

But in the end there will still be 12 million, or however many come across in a given year, mexicans crossing the border to work and send money home..

Now I have some ideas of what the bigger issue is... I want to hear from the PC crowd who think they are taking the high road by saying... "oh I have no issue with immigration and race has nothing to do with it".. I just think we need to stop "illegal" immigration...

Thats a bunch of bs. So if the laws were written differently you would be just as happy with the same amount of mexicans coming over the border... because we are just going to say thats legal now... that makes a differance to you?

So please tell me... In the big picture what is the difference between illegal immigration and legal immigration??

Old 04-08-2011, 10:36 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,695,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
So please tell me... In the big picture what is the difference between illegal immigration and legal immigration??
I'm resorting to the dictionary.

Quote:
illegal alien 
–noun
a foreigner who has entered or resides in a country unlawfully or without the country's authorization.
a foreigner who enters the U.S. without an entry or immigrant visa, especially a person who crosses the border by avoiding inspection or who overstays the period of time allowed as a visitor, tourist, or businessperson. Compare resident alien.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
I'm resorting to the dictionary.
Quote:
illegal alien 
–noun
a foreigner who has entered or resides in a country unlawfully or without the country's authorization.
a foreigner who enters the U.S. without an entry or immigrant visa, especially a person who crosses the border by avoiding inspection or who overstays the period of time allowed as a visitor, tourist, or businessperson. Compare resident alien.
Ok, well you neglected to adress the whole premise I was presenting and stuck to the ..... duh.. "The difference between the illegal immigrant and legal immigrant is that one broke the laws of this nation and one didn't...."...

I mean you couldn't be anymore on the sidelines of such and important debate..

According to your thinking, if the law was rewriten to allow ANY foreign person entry into this country ... then that would be ok for you because technically.... they are not breaking any laws...

Old 04-08-2011, 12:18 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,307,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The "No American Can Marry Abroad" act?
LOL... but what will all those lonely old white guys do without their mail order brides?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,307,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
The reality is after some 40 years of the pill and some 40-50 million abortions in this country..................we need immigration. Otherwise we'd be japan and we don't want to be japan.
I still vote quality over quantity. We don't need low quality immigrants. Nor do we need unwanted children on welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies