Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:21 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
we should immigrate people to be EVENLY divided in this country... such as 1/4 hispanics, 1/4 white (europeans and others), 1/4 asians, and 1/4 africans
The numbers are always going to be lopsided when it comes to white European immigration. There simply isn't that much demand. There used to be quite a few Russians and other East Europeans who sought to immigrate to the US, but those numbers have fallen a lot, just like Western Europe's numbers fell throughout the 1960's and 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 12:21 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,602,859 times
"Welcome to America,the new 3rd world country!"

No paperwork required!!!!

Last edited by kerrymac; 04-08-2011 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I am not stupid... I know on the surface the differnence...
LMAO...You are making a great case here!

I assume you jab at PC people is directed at me, so I will start with that.
The way the immigration picture is painted, the wealthy people who are interested is lowering labor costs of corporations, want to paint everyone who is anti illegal immigration as a racist, and like I said race is not the issue.
I really do not care what color the person is who is coming here illegally and injecting themselves into the work pool because the end result is that their presence increases the supply of workers and therefore puts downward pressure on wages.
The difference is that legal immigration is controlled and the people who are allowed to immigrate are screened.
The immigration issue is not between the citizens and the immigrants; it is between the citizens and the government.
The government is supposed to work for the people and not corporate interests. Of course that has all gone away with the ability of corporations to openly bribe politicians with huge amounts of campaign contributions.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I wish immigration would be more fair... if you look at the demographics we do NOT need any more hispanics... we should immigrate people to be EVENLY divided in this country... such as 1/4 hispanics, 1/4 white (europeans and others), 1/4 asians, and 1/4 africans.... why we constantly choose one race over another is unbelievable... how can the US be so inequitable...
I hate to tell you this but most hispanics do consider themselves white....

Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I wish immigration would be more fair... if you look at the demographics we do NOT need any more hispanics... we should immigrate people to be EVENLY divided in this country... such as 1/4 hispanics, 1/4 white (europeans and others), 1/4 asians, and 1/4 africans.... why we constantly choose one race over another is unbelievable... how can the US be so inequitable...
Today it is hispanics. In yesteryears, it was Germans, Italians, Russians, Poles, Brits and so on. The fact is, people immigrate when they see an opportunity. That has been true through out the history of the country.

Fewer people immigrate from western Europe to America now because they don't need to.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:59 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
LMAO...You are making a great case here!

I assume you jab at PC people is directed at me, so I will start with that.
The way the immigration picture is painted, the wealthy people who are interested is lowering labor costs of corporations, want to paint everyone who is anti illegal immigration as a racist, and like I said race is not the issue.
I really do not care what color the person is who is coming here illegally and injecting themselves into the work pool because the end result is that their presence increases the supply of workers and therefore puts downward pressure on wages.
The difference is that legal immigration is controlled and the people who are allowed to immigrate are screened.
The immigration issue is not between the citizens and the immigrants; it is between the citizens and the government.
The government is supposed to work for the people and not corporate interests. Of course that has all gone away with the ability of corporations to openly bribe politicians with huge amounts of campaign contributions.
Not directed at anyone really... other then myself when I used to have a such a strong stance against illegal immigration and now it has morphed into our policy with immigration all together..

Controlled immigration should applied loosly.. I before illuded to the notion that this IS ALL CONTROLLED immigration... unfortunately maybe to meet the demands of corporate america and politicians looking to control voting blocks..

A comprehensive immigration law needs to inlude a mission statement.. what are we trying to accomplish?

I love travell and appreciate ALL cultures and people.. But I seriously question whether or not some cultures can "make it" here..

Old 04-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
Japanese love their culture and don't want that, that's right..But they don't have babies they need to pay their Social Security.
Japanese population :
0-14 years old : 13.8% of Japan population
65 years and over : 23%

Without immigration their economy will decline.
Horsecra*! First not every retirement system is based on the pyramid pay as you go system. Some countries actually put contributions in a lockbox and repay them with interest.
Economies do not decline due to population declines. What does happen is due to lower numbers of workers, wages increase and the workers get a fairer share of the pie. Of course that really pi**es off the wealthy who own the corporations, they actually have to pay a fair wage.
Here they just support illegal immigration in order to screw the workers.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:17 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And the increased immigration both legal and illegal proves that it's not all about jobs and very few jobs were created in 2010. Mexico's unemployment rate is about half of that of the USA, yet they will continue to pour over into the USA.

This is not sustainable, jobs are being exported by the millions, yet millions of people continue to show up here whether they can ever learn a word of English or not, whether they ever had any kind of education or not.

The problem is that even while there are not jobs, the government social programs have no limits on them. It doesn't matter if you have 500,000 on Medicaid and food stamps in some city, 300,000 more can simply show up and be added to the numbers.
i guess it's part of the "snooker 'em" package. (gotta make them think they're getting "something" for their work i guess. the mortgage bubble (before it burst) was a piece to that package before it was exposed as a foul mess) .. when are the illegals gonna wake up and learn they're being snookered by the 'american dream'? the 'american dream' was alive and well in the 1950's but that was decades ago. how can people still be falling for it? i guess america is going to squeeze all it can from that old tired song. i mean yeesh, is america *that* hungry for cheap exploitable labor or who-knows-what-else they're trying to "get" from immigrants? if so, i call that being penny wise pound foolish. (imo america is trying to "gain" as is often the case) ... and all those 'home countries', are they *that* bad?

Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Today it is hispanics. In yesteryears, it was Germans, Italians, Russians, Poles, Brits and so on. The fact is, people immigrate when they see an opportunity. That has been true through out the history of the country.

Fewer people immigrate from western Europe to America now because they don't need to.
Look at the high unemployment rates for the answer to that.

It's because people from Europe tend to immigrate if there are jobs. Immigration of all kinds increased in 2010 when American joblessness was way up.

What's wrong with that picture? When immigration increases when unemployment rates are very high, it's because much immigration today is not about jobs at all. Family sponsored immigrants often have no intention of working. Illegals coming to have children here to get in on government programs also don't have to consider unemployment rates.

Jobs are not the only reason for sky-high immigration rates. As long as the welfare programs are so very comfortable, they'll continue to come.

My guess is that in 2010, work sponsored immigration was lower or the same as previous years and that almost all the increase was due to immigrants bringing in their extended family members including many elderly, and illegals who didn't come so much for jobs as for other reasons.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:37 AM

515 posts, read 368,061 times
Legal Immigrants arrived in the US in the last decade (2001-2010) :

-Mexico : 1,693,000
-China : 663,000
-India : 662,000
-Philippines : 587,000
-Cuba : 318,000
-Vietnam : 306,000
-Korea : 222,000
-Dominican Republic : 330,000
-Haiti : 214,000
-Pakistan : 157,000
-Bangladesh : 107,000
-Iran : 126,000
-Iraq : 65,000
-Nigeria : 111,000
-Ethiopia : 110,000
-Ukraine : 149,000
-El Salvador : 253,000
-Jamaica : 181,000

Impressive numbers !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies