Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
see this list -click here. medicaid is at the top at 118 billion dollars
The CBO says your chart is wrong..
The Impact of Social Security and Medicare on the Federal Budget

That distortion, which is large, obscures the growing strains that the programs are placing on the government's finances. When the intragovernmental transfers are excluded, instead of running a combined surplus of $3.3 trillion over the next 10 years, the two programs are expected to run a deficit of $96 billion. Similarly, from 2003 to 2026, instead of running a cumulative surplus totaling $6.5 trillion, as estimated by the Social Security and Medicare trustees, the programs would run a cumulative deficit totaling $6.6 trillion.

Last time I checked, $6.6T for Social security over 10 years, is a lot more than $1.18T for Medicaid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:01 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I have been getting bits a pieces of the Ryan plan, I thought Republicans were against abortions?
I'm a republican and I am all for abortions. IN FACT, it is one of the few social programs I don't mind my tax dollar going too. I'd rather get rid of the, whatever the flavor of the month term for "child" now, then have it grown up unwanted, and in a life of crime, etc.

Ofcourse, I'd prefer people just be responsible and use birth control. However, personal responsibility is so yesterday

Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The title of this thread is a lie.
Rep Ryan has already said, today, that Medicare and Medicaid will be going up, just not as fast as in the past. There will be NO changes for anyone over 55 years old. He suggests that people under 55 have the same medicare coverage as people in the U.S. congress.
The proposal, authored by House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI), aims to cut $4 trillion in federal spending over ten years, in part by ending Medicare as we know it for Americans who are currently under the age of 55.

Those nearing retirement within the next 10 years will be covered by single-payer program, which pays the medical expenses of seniors. The rest would have to choose from a series of private insurance plans to cover them when they turn 65, according to previews of the proposal. The federal government would pay roughly the first $15,000 in costs; after that, they're on their own.

"There is nobody saying that Medicare can stay in its current path," Ryan said on Fox News Sunday. "We should not be measuring ourselves against some mythical future of Medicare that isn't sustainable."

The proposal also cuts Medicaid, which helps pay health care expenses for low-income Americans. Currently a joint program run by the federal government and states, the Ryan plan would turn it into a series of block grants for states, considerably reducing benefits.

A new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll found Monday that 76 percent of Americans consider it unacceptable to cut Medicare, while 67 oppose cutting Medicaid, despite their deficit concerns.

He can say what he wants, its a cut. Not for those within 10 years of retirement, but for everyone else.

This will not go over well, and isn't.

House Republicans propose deep cuts to Medicare | The Raw Story

Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont think the other poster didnt mean at the doctors office, they meant at the government level to see if those getting the cards, are indeed qualified or not.
I googled "how often is medicaid elgibility determined" and this was my first hit.

Medicaid Eligibility

Eligibility for Medicaid is re-determined every 12 months, except that eligibility is re-determined every six months for “spenddown†cases (See Medically Needy).

Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I'm a republican and I am all for abortions. IN FACT, it is one of the few social programs I don't mind my tax dollar going too. I'd rather get rid of the, whatever the flavor of the month term for "child" now, then have it grown up unwanted, and in a life of crime, etc.

Ofcourse, I'd prefer people just be responsible and use birth control. However, personal responsibility is so yesterday

Me too. Wish Sara Palin paid the hundred bucks to get rid of her sub-prime offspring a few times, lol. The malthusian theory of population control was right-wing. Too bad she never learned about it.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Here's the article o the link below...Republicans are trying to slash Medicare and Medicade...stay tuned...Social Security will be their next target.

House GOP budget to call for big changes to Medicare, Medicaid - CNN.com#

Guess we've been shelling all of our hard earned money into these programs for nothing...according to the Republicans, anyways.
Exactly.

That's why they need to be cut.

Not to worry though, the dems are looking for the poorest, sickest, oldest looking person they can dig up as their poster child for the status quo, as we speak.

That person will be the face of the dems attack against the GOP's attempts to reform these programs.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
The fact is, these programs in their current forms cannot continue to stay solvent. So funny that Republicans can buy into THIS inconvenient truth but ignore so many others that don't fit their agenda to sell America to the highest bidder. I digress.

While I agree that a solution is needed to save Medicare and Medicaid, I am against ANY changes/privatizations to them. How do I think we can save Medicare and Medicaid?

1. More auditing to prevent fraud. Less than 3% of Medicare claims are audited. This figure should rise to at LEAST 25%. This would save millions IMO.
2. A rise in the payroll tax. If we all paid more in taxes, Medicare would be able to stay solvent much longer.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The proposal, authored by House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI), aims to cut $4 trillion in federal spending over ten years, in part by ending Medicare as we know it for Americans who are currently under the age of 55.

Those nearing retirement within the next 10 years will be covered by single-payer program, which pays the medical expenses of seniors. The rest would have to choose from a series of private insurance plans to cover them when they turn 65, according to previews of the proposal. The federal government would pay roughly the first $15,000 in costs; after that, they're on their own.

"There is nobody saying that Medicare can stay in its current path," Ryan said on Fox News Sunday. "We should not be measuring ourselves against some mythical future of Medicare that isn't sustainable."

The proposal also cuts Medicaid, which helps pay health care expenses for low-income Americans. Currently a joint program run by the federal government and states, the Ryan plan would turn it into a series of block grants for states, considerably reducing benefits.

A new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll found Monday that 76 percent of Americans consider it unacceptable to cut Medicare, while 67 oppose cutting Medicaid, despite their deficit concerns.

He can say what he wants, its a cut. Not for those within 10 years of retirement, but for everyone else.

This will not go over well, and isn't.

House Republicans propose deep cuts to Medicare | The Raw Story
Yeah, it's not possible. When we had a Republican president with solid majorities in both houses of congress, privatizing Social Security was never even close to getting passed.

Social Security and Medicare are sacred cows and no party that wants to win elections would ever propose getting rid of them if it were remotely possible.

But for people who need to pander to their base and know that the proposal will never go anywhere anyway, it's a great talking point.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Baby boomers who paid into the system all their lives aren't the problem. Look at Medicaid. That's a runaway ponzi scheme where people who paid nothing can keep being added to the Medicaid program. Not just citizens but any foreigner who makes it over the border and gives birth gets in on it.

The welfare class is growing so much that in some places those on welfare now outnumber the working, in many schools now the free lunch program is for 85% or even more of the student population.
Baby boomers aren't the problem because up until now none of them are collecting social security (unless they retired early at age 62) or are on Medicare yet. The very first year of baby boomers will be turning 65 this year (2011).

Quote:
By 2030, Social Security's caseload will be 84 million people, up from 50 million today. Medicare will go from 44 million beneficiaries to 79 million. That will leave barely more than two workers paying payroll taxes for every retiree.
Social Security hits first wave of boomers - USATODAY.com

Quote:
"Listen, some of this stuff is not Democrat or Republican," Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., said on CNN. "Some of it's just math. For example, 50 years ago, eight retirees for every worker, now only two. Look, folks at 25 or 30 years old today aren't going to get Social Security at 65 or 67."
Debt Commissioners: Baby Boomers Will Crush Social Security, Medicare - FoxNews.com

Old 04-04-2011, 10:52 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
They better give me what I have put in. The gop will not be allowed to steal from the poor and give to the rich. After I get my fair share for the money I have put in for many many years the azzhat tea party can kill the poor as far as Im concerned. They let them take control so they deserve to be destroyed by the tea parties war on the middle class and poor.
How can you steal something from someone who has nothing and most likely never will?

The non working lazy poor have been freeloading of the hard working successful people for long enough.

They pay no taxes and use our infrastructure for free while the rest of us pay to use it.

Entitlements have to be stopped to force the lazy people to get a job and pay their own way and their fair share.

Stop the lie about the TP trying to destroy the middle class, its a liberal outright lie. It has been the dems who have crapped on the middle class since Pelosi and Reid took over.

What did Nancy and Harriet do for the working middle class in the last four years? Come on, something of importance here.

The Liberal poor vote for dems so they can continue to rob and steal hard working successful people blind.

Time to EARN YOUR OWN KEEP AND GET OFF THE BACK OF THE 53% OF US WHO ACTUALLY PAY TAXES AND PAY FOR THE USE OF OUR SCHOOLS, BRIDGES, ROADS, LIBRARIES ETC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies