Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:12 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Everyone knows Florida is the best state & the further south you go, the better it gets.

Fl ???? Does not make my top 20 list. Other than the Keys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 03:18 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
North Dakota: The Perfect State?

For a cow perhaps.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The Dakotas are at the bottom of my list of states for relocation. Somehow they seem incredibly dull in every way
Elitists don't last too long in the Dakotas. Though, sometimes they are eaten for lunch and spit out like rancid milk.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
What is it about North Dakota which allows it to have low crime, unemployment and a high standard of living?
I believe it is because of a very homogenous population, old fashioned values (which used to exist all over the country) and low population density. These qualities existed long before the oil boom hit the western part of the state.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:18 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The Dakotas are at the bottom of my list of states for relocation. Somehow they seem incredibly dull in every way
The states does O.K. in K-12 education but in no way is a leader. In terms of college education the state is lacking in top flight universities. Basically the state is driven by agriculture and natural resources.

If you like rural living and wide open spaces it's not bad.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,708 times
Yep, along with South Dakota and Nebraska these are the best states to live in.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
No thanks, I grew up next to North Dakota, in Minnesota. I don't care how good their economy is, it's not worth living there. I want more out of life than what North Dakota has to offer.

YouTube - Daniel Tosh Effinfunny Stand Up - Fabreezing the Homeless
Quite possibly the least funny comedian on the entire planet. That was 2 and a half minutes that I will never get back; he was awful. Boo

Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Having lived in NoDak as a teen I can attest to the fact that in SOME regards it's a great place to live (or at least it was at the time). The folks there are very friendly - but also very nosey (essentially because there's little else to do in the winter but gossup). Still, overall - in spite of the nosiness - the we found the people to be generally some of most wonderful of anyplace I've ever lived, and I have to say that we REALLY enjoyed our time there (a year and a half (more to the point - TWO WINTERS)). Also - despite the obvious "boring" aspect of the scenery (flat, flat, and more flat) there IS a certain GRANDEUR and atypical beauty to the Great Plain - it so damned VAST that it REALLY makes you feel TINY.

Now, having said that, if I had the chance to live there again would I?
NOT a chance - mostly of course because it's just TOO DAMN COLD.
Jeeze! We hit -117 wind chill one night (using the old calculation method). That kind of cold is UNGODLY!!!

Regarding the economy - while Wingnuts here may try and claim that the economy is so good because of GOP governing practices, that's simply NOT the case. Back before oil was discovered, NoDak was DYING economically and its population shrinking for decades. As another poster has already pointed out, NoDak's current success as a "great place to live" can be traced to 2 things:

1) The Oil Boom
2) The lack of large urban areas and the problems that come with them. You have to keep in mind that the population of the ENTIRE STATE is only a bit over 670,000 - that's less than many CITIES in other parts of the country, and the biggest city in the entire state (Fargo) has less than 100,000. In other parts of the country there are SUBURBS bigger than that.

So, while NoDak's UE rate is the lowest in the country, the fact is that the low UE rate still only represents a pretty small number of jobs. There are no doubt more people employed in the Seattle metro area than in the ENTIRE STATE of NoDak. NoDak's employment numbers look great but mostly that's because the states' population is so darned small. Plenty of work there for folks who are willing to brave the cold though - assuming not too many decide to move there in search of those jobs (probably a small risk of that happening considering how rough the winters are).

Ken

Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Quite possibly the least funny comedian on the entire planet. That was 2 and a half minutes that I will never get back; he was awful. Boo
Well have fun in the middle of the country looking at your corn.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:54 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Elitists don't last too long in the Dakotas. Though, sometimes they are eaten for lunch and spit out like rancid milk.
Oh yeah "elitists." AKA people who actually want more than one horse in their town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies