Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is President Obama's race?
White 4 1.73%
Black 59 25.54%
Multiracial 142 61.47%
I don't believe in "race" 26 11.26%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:53 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

[quote=oz in SC;18744912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Perhaps...you should read the links....instead of just guessing.I do believe the two historians are experts in this field.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/23/op...20blame&st=cse

I have read it but it still did not mention not ONE African king or queen went down south into the Americas it mentioned Europe, once again backing my assertion that North American Slavery especially in the south was the most brutal form of slavery that has ever existed and the repercussions have had a lasting affect on it's dependants. I'm aware of the information and did not doubt it but, I will still stick to what I had said because the information does not deny it.

If an African king or queen would have showed up on ths shores of North Carolina they would have put them in shackels so quick their heads would have spun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 01:07 PM

146 posts, read 250,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Black people call themselves that word all the time.

Riddle me this...Why is it ok for a Black person to refer to a White person as "White boy" or "White girl" or "White folks"?

Imagine if I said "Hey Black boy, come here a second" I gotta tell you something.

Oh no it would be RACIST!
It isn't O.K for a black person to refer to a white person they don't know as "Hey white boy", "snowflake", or any other derogatory name in regards to race. I see nothing wrong with using a persons race as an adjective when referring to someone though. I find it hilarious that some white people are uncomfortable describing someone as "black" to me as if I'm offended by the word "black". At times I had to say it for them. "You mean he was black?"
As far as the word n*gg*r is concerned I reluctantly have to agree that you make a valid point. If I heard a young white child say it (depending on the context) my first assumption would probably be that he learned the word from a black person, not a white person. It saturates Hip Hop. If you overhear two black people talking to each other you will very likely hear it to refer to people in general as well as black people specifically. It's a word I believe many of us embrace with one arm and fight with the other. I myself identified with it long before I was taught I was supposed to be offended if it came from the wrong mouth in the wrong context. Once I was called a n*gg*r by a racist white man trying to offend me. I was trying to get angry, I was trying to be insulted but to my own surprise I was trying not to laugh. My attitude was much more like "Really? that's the best you can do? Call me a word that my parents have called me, my closest friends have called me, I even call myself unless I'm in mixed company?" It made him appear very ignorant but that's when I realized that it's only a word and had no power over me. I know some other black people are angry at me for saying so but I just had to tell the truth..

Old 04-17-2011, 02:18 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Exactly. This is the same point I was getting across to speakingtruth in a very roundabout way. Grouping people together solely on the basis of skin color is a contemporary European invention.
Yet black people do it,right here on this thread....

But then they ARE talking about evil whiteys....LOL

Old 04-17-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Choclat is NOT by herself by a long shot. Many Americans both Black and White still apply the one drop rule.
SO???

Why would ANYONE want to limit themselves this way?

It is a lie to start with and just plain stupid.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Europeans i.e. the Dutch and Portuguese started the Trans-Atlantic slave trade.

At no time did any African tribe or nation directly export slaves directly to the Caribbean, or South, Central or North America. Where African tribes involved in the slave trade in terms of directly supplying Europeans with slaves? Sure. But if there was no demand for slave labor in the Americas there would not have been a "Trans-Atlantic" slave trade.
No...that is true,black people simply willingly and with knowledge sold other black people into slavery,for money or goods....

They knew what would happen,they didn't care,and they did it for wealth.

But just minimise black people's part in enslaving their own if it makes you feel better.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:29 PM

[quote=simetime;18767374]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

I have read it but it still did not mention not ONE African king or queen went down south into the Americas it mentioned Europe, once again backing my assertion that North American Slavery especially in the south was the most brutal form of slavery that has ever existed and the repercussions have had a lasting affect on it's dependants. I'm aware of the information and did not doubt it but, I will still stick to what I had said because the information does not deny it.

If an African king or queen would have showed up on ths shores of North Carolina they would have put them in shackels so quick their heads would have spun.
Where are you getting this idea that North American slavery was the most brutal form of slavery ever???

Do you have any...proof?

You DO know there was slavery in European nations right?

Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
SO???

Why would ANYONE want to limit themselves this way?

It is a lie to start with and just plain stupid.
Then you in essence calling the overwhelming majority of White Americans that lived in this country prior to the Civil Rights Movement stupid. It was a social norm for ANY bi-racial or mixed raced person with Black ancestry to be considered to be of African descent and to be treated accordingly in terms of facing racial discrimination, and exclusion.

Many White Americans to this day with disown their own sons and daughters for having a child with a Black person.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Then you in essence calling the overwhelming majority of White Americans that lived in this country prior to the Civil Rights Movement stupid.
Pretty much,it was and is a stupid rule,it doesn't even make sense.

Quote:
It was a social norm for ANY bi-racial or mixed raced person with Black ancestry to be considered to be of African descent and to be treated accordingly in terms of facing racial discrimination, and exclusion.
Take not of the second word....WAS.
Why keep it going nowadays?That is stupid too.

Quote:
Many White Americans to this day with disown their own sons and daughters for having a child with a Black person.
And many don't.

But you can GUARANTEE one way to keep racial divisions in society is to keep using such stupid ways of deciding what you are....

But then,if more 'black' people here who are actually racially mixed chose to NOT put their race down as black,it could then have an effect on other things...so maybe it is more to do with having political power than the truth??

Old 04-17-2011, 03:04 PM

146 posts, read 250,111 times
While we're on this thread I'll share an incident I witnessed years back. I was in a waiting room sitting next to a young lady with her sister on the other side of her. The one next to me had fair skin, auburn curly hair, and hazel eyes. You could tell by looking at the two that they were sisters and one thing that struck me about the one sitting next to me was that she was reading a Zane novel. (Urban literature author that targets toward the African American community.) Anyways on the other side of her sister was an older black man that oddly strikes up a racial conversation. He's going on and on making predjudiced statements against white people and the girl sitting next to me says casually "Sir you know that my sister is white right?" That statement struck me as odd so I asked "Your sister?" She said "Yeah, my sister is white, I'm black." Just like that!!! I found out that the girl actually was biracial with a black father and they both had the same white mother. Still, when asked specifically their heritage many multi-racial people don't deny their other sides. But I guess to keep it simple and spare syllables they just call themselves black. Not saying that's right, not saying that's fair, just saying tho...

Old 04-17-2011, 05:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Yet black people do it,right here on this thread....

But then they ARE talking about evil whiteys....LOL
No surprise here, but you're still missing the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies