Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is President Obama's race?
White 4 1.73%
Black 59 25.54%
Multiracial 142 61.47%
I don't believe in "race" 26 11.26%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Though many Americans exhibit these traits, it seems to me that this is more a human nature thing than something distinctly American.
No...it is weird here...or at least that is my opinion as someone not raised in this culture.

Quote:
I wish we were all the same. But you and I know that is not so. Have you observed a South Carolina election lately?
Yes,most people in our area will vote for the black candidate...we are a black area by and large although that is changing,not necessarily for the better as it is becoming full of northerners....

Quote:
Yes, but that has as much to do with demeanor, dress, etc. and experience as it does DNA.
I mean more by their body/face....white Europeans do not look like white Americans a lot of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Oz, have you even noticed that your nonsensical rants have not even gathered the support of your fellow whites? The reason is perhaps they realize that you are an American citizen only by docuementation and not one who has been here throughout the racial turmoil, or one who lived on one side of the fence or other, just someone who came to this country AFTER the real infighting is almost over. You bring up questions that were resolved back in the 1800s. Earlier you stated that american blacks do not look like Africans. Once again you show your limited scope of geography and the variety of shapes/shades of what is the "Black Experience". Africa has a wide range of black pigmentation from blue/black (central/southern), light brown (northern) to white (south Africa) so how in the hell can a black person from America not look like a African? Even with the ancestoral rape by white slavemasters we still carry the face of Africa!

Actually I think that you are extremely arrogant in the fact that you feel that you are and expert on the history of black americans, considering that you were "permitted" to live here through governmental means. Don't get me wrong I have been to other countries were your citizenship is not judged by the color of your skin, but this is not one of them. Here your racial makeup is determined by what others percieve you to be. A perfect example is that many americans will look at person of Asian decent and refer to them as "chinese" unless corrected. Need another example? My brothers from India are constantly confused with "Iranians" or some other persumed terrorist country.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
You, and everyone else on this thread really needs to read this page thorougly

One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You mean an old and outdated racist notion??

Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Oz, have you even noticed that your nonsensical rants have not even gathered the support of your fellow whites?
You know,whites don't all share one collective thought.....

Quote:
The reason is perhaps they realize that you are an American citizen only by docuementation and not one who has been here throughout the racial turmoil, or one who lived on one side of the fence or other, just someone who came to this country AFTER the real infighting is almost over.
Neither have most blacks.
To have experienced the civil rights era one would need to be in their mid to late 50's....

Quote:
You bring up questions that were resolved back in the 1800s. Earlier you stated that american blacks do not look like Africans.
More to do with black Americans being of mixed race I would imagine....

Quote:
Once again you show your limited scope of geography and the variety of shapes/shades of what is the "Black Experience". Africa has a wide range of black pigmentation from blue/black (central/southern), light brown (northern) to white (south Africa) so how in the hell can a black person from America not look like a African?
Please stop pretending you have some vast knowledge on the topic,your skin color doesn't give you any special insight...

Quote:
Even with the ancestoral rape by white slavemasters we still carry the face of Africa!
Not really,you genetic make up is much more mixed,perhaps this is some of the resoning behind this desperate need to cling to the idea you are somehow 'African'...

Quote:
Actually I think that you are extremely arrogant in the fact that you feel that you are and expert on the history of black americans, considering that you were "permitted" to live here through governmental means.
LOL...I LOVE when those who bleat on about the injustices done to them(actually their long dead ancestors) then shoe their bigotry....

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I have been to other countries were your citizenship is not judged by the color of your skin, but this is not one of them.
How does THIS nation judge your citizenship based upon skin color?

Quote:
Here your racial makeup is determined by what others percieve you to be.
and the solution is to label yourself somehow different,because THAT will stop any judgement based upon color....
Quote:
A perfect example is that many americans will look at person of Asian decent and refer to them as "chinese" unless corrected.
That has more to do with Americans lack of travel and exposure to the rest of the world than some deep seated 'racism'.

Remember,war is God's way of teaching Americans geography,and there haven't been any global wars in a while....

Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You mean an old and outdated racist notion??
You mean the old American tradition that is unfortunately deeply ingrained in everyones psyche, black and white alike?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
You mean the old American tradition that is unfortunately deeply ingrained in everyones psyche, black and white alike?
It is?

Good thing enslaving others isn't deeply ingrained in everyone's psyche here otherwise it would still be happening....

Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yes,having lived HERE in THIS town for 22 years I can't yet tell the difference between black Americans and African immigrants....
So can I, so what is your point?

Really?
Then why do so many black posters here attempt to speak for black people?
I have only known one guy in recent times who called himself 'African American',and oddly enough,he was bi-racial....

Sadly, you still don't know why either

Some people don't like history,so some people won't like their own history....

So why do you think that you know ours?

Neither does your skin pigmentation....it just makes you black.
But, I know who and what I am. My skin color in this country can open some doors for me and close others. My skin color in this country can terrorify some people and at the same time is welcomed by others. My skin color is a reason that many have died before me so that I can have the right to say how stupid some of the things that you have posted really are. My skin color is why there are so many laws regarding employment, housing and education so that people like me can live the American dream and not be treated like a second class citizen. I don't expect you to care nor understand the significance of skin color in this country or the history of it but you cannot tell me or anyone else like me what we have been through and still are going through is not just something that we collectively made up.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
But, I know who and what I am. My skin color in this country can open some doors for me and close others.
And that is almost all BECAUSE black people in the USA make it so....
Make race THE all encompassing issue that DEFINES you as a person and don't be surprised when others do the same...

Quote:
My skin color in this country can terrorify some people and at the same time is welcomed by others.
Well that has more to do with crime than anything else...and terrified is a little strong a term in my opinion.

Quote:
My skin color is a reason that many have died before me so that I can have the right to say how stupid some of the things that you have posted really are.
Sorry that my facts don't jibe with your fables....

Quote:
My skin color is why there are so many laws regarding employment, housing and education so that people like me can live the American dream and not be treated like a second class citizen.
You mean special treatment for one group to make everyone equal???
LOL....

Quote:
I don't expect you to care nor understand the significance of skin color in this country or the history of it but you cannot tell me or anyone else like me what we have been through and still are going through is not just something that we collectively made up.
Yes,why just last week we had those lynchings down the black....oops,no we didn't,and the only recent case of racial intimidation at the voting booth was BY BLACK PEOPLE!!!!

Better get used to people not really caring too much for the cries of 'racist' anymore....it has been overplayed and no longer works.

Even worse politically for black people is that Hispanics are the new group to be pandered to by the Dems....

Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 AM

Now, I ask myself why am arguing with a docuemented citizen who obviously does not have a real grasp of black America or America in general? People like yourself Oz, are part of the reason why there are so much division in this country. I real sit down dialog on race relations will never be accomplished as long as there are people like yourself you are determine to tell Blacks in America what we are or how we should think based from their narrow minded outside views. For some reason he cannnot possibly understand that people of color throughout the history of this country have struggled for real equality. I'm amazed of the fact that he had the AUDACITY to try and take the only thing that we can identify our past with .....Africa. I refuse to further waste my time with a white transplant from another country, who also has no clue to what transpired 40-50 years earlier in this country and is not willing to learn or even understand what happened from a different point of view.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Now, I ask myself why am arguing with a docuemented citizen who obviously does not have a real grasp of black America or America as a whole?
Well....unlike those who are simply citizens via geography and perhaps a faulty condom,I made a conscious choice,had to pass various tests and paid for the privilege....others simply got plopped out by their momma.

Quote:
People like yourself Oz, are part of the reason why there are so much division in this country.
Actually I think it is people who use their skin color as some sort of identifying 'badge' to make themselves different...all the while bemoaning the fact that they are treated differently....

Quote:
I real sit down dialog on race relations will never be accomplished as long as there are people like yourself you are determine to tell Blacks in America what we are or how we should think based from their narrow outside views.
And as long as some black Americans demand to be treated differently sometimes but whine and complain that they are then treated differently at OTHER times,there will be no change.

Here is a radical concept,stop using your skin color as a crutch....
Be AMERICAN.....PERIOD!!!!
Not some hyphenated crap....but then I guess you can't be 'special'...

Quote:
For some reason he cannnot possibly understand that people of color throughout the history of this country have struggled and atill are for real equality.
LOL....yes,the racial inequality is so obvious and in your face,it must be manufactured in order to keep up the race baiting.

Quote:
I'm amazed of the fact that he had the AUDACITY to try and take the only thing that we can identify our past with .....Africa.
You identify with a place that you have NO connection with....it would be like me connecting with Sweden....but then you are free to do such stupid things if you wish...I am free to say how stupid such things are.

Irish Americans are stupid too,as are all hyphenated Americans.....

Quote:
I refuse to further dialog with a white transplant from another country, who also has no clue to what transpired 40-50 years earlier
Bye bye....
Nice use of race there by the way....LOVE it when those who decry 'racism' use race to identify others.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies