Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is President Obama's race?
White 4 1.73%
Black 59 25.54%
Multiracial 142 61.47%
I don't believe in "race" 26 11.26%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,261,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The next time I cross the street and hear car doors locking as they sit at the red light waiting for it to change, I'm going to say "I'm half White!" and see suburban soccer moms breathe a sigh of relief as they unlock their doors.

Now that I think about it, that would have been a great sketch on Dave Chappelle's show....
That's freaking hilarious. Well, it would be if it weren't so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:57 PM

32,321 posts, read 15,267,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
His mom is Lilly white and some people still believe he is only black. How idiotic is that.
It's only idiotic of us. It's most what he identifies with.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,938,777 times
Why are people so fascinated by race... I am more fascinated by how cute a girl looks then the color of her skin... why does Obama "need" to acknowledge anything about race?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:01 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,619,604 times
I am sitting here shaking my head in total disbelief at some of the comments on this thread. For those who don’t know, black Americans have been “multi-racial” since 9 months after the first slave ship reached these shores. After all, female slaves were routinely used as sperm receptacles by white slave owners and others. Yet, NONE of those biracial children, regardless of skin color, were ever considered anything other than BLACK, and they were raised exclusively in black households. Of course there were exceptions. Some who lacked Negroid phenotype managed to escape, lived in the white world, married white, and had “white” children, grandchildren . . .

Conversely, when white women became impregnated by their black slaves, if the baby was born black, it was killed at birth. Heaven forbid anyone discover that the lady of the manor had slept with a lowly slave, and given birth to a black baby. Hence, biracial families (black/white) have never been a tradition among the white population. This is a relatively new phenomenon for the white family.

So, excuse me if I don’t get excited over Obama’s white mother, or his “biracial” background, because having “white” blood is simply old news for most black people in this country. That’s just the way it has always been. Look around. . . . we come in every color from the blackest black to the whitest white, yet few do not have Caucasian ancestry at some point in their background.

I watched a program a few months ago which detailed the genealogy of Tony Dorsett. He was able to trace his genealogy back to Africa, as well as a slave owner in Virginia. He discovered that one of his great-great-great-grandmothers was the daughter of a white plantation owner. Would anyone looking at Tony Dorsett automatically think he has white ancestry?

Why does it matter how Obama chooses to self-identify? My mother is the offspring of a white woman and black man, but she also considers herself black, and she is a lot lighter than Obama. When my mother was a child living in a small town, do you think the white residents cared that she had light skin and a white mother? Or, was the fact that she had a black father paramount? One day after school, she almost crippled a white boy when he called her a n***er. He knew her mother was white, but as far as he and others were concerned, including her bigoted grandparents, she was a “colored” girl, or n***er. It’s funny that after hundreds of years of black Americans being multi-racial, yet being considered simply “black” –- suddenly, we need a new “multi-racial” category. And, now, black folks MUST acknowledge being "biracial" if one parent is white. If not, they are denying their white side, and they are racist. My, how times have changed.

Must I acknowledge my white grandmother in my daily life? If not, does that mean I am denying my white heritage, or I hate white people? Do you actually not realize how utterly ridiculous this is?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,598,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No, it's b/c God forbid someone acknowledge the white half of them. Most mixed people just claim the black part, for whatever reason. Even people like Obama who were raised in a white family act black and claim only the black side.
Really? Society labels them black in many cases.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:21 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,598,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are totally missing the point: I simply mentioned many who had never voted, especially blacks did vote for him because of his color. I didn't give any reason why they did this and I am not saying it was wrong, I am saying many did come out because of his color.

Nita
it also went the other way with republicans voting that didn't usually vote so the "black" guy couldn't win.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 AM

12,998 posts, read 13,481,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
it also went the other way with republicans voting that didn't usually vote so the "black" guy couldn't win.
Really?

Where is a link to credible evidence to support that claim?

Sounds like you just made that up.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,937,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Mmkay, keep telling yourself that. Atleast you believe it.
It's very understandable given where he lives. The Beaufort area is home to some of the starkest race/class divisions in the country.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:40 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,928,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It's very understandable given where he lives. The Beaufort area is home to some of the starkest race/class divisions in the country.
Oh look,you are lying again.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:54 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,939,946 times
i agree that its a pointless issue to debate, but trolls love race threads. look at the attention this thread got. over 150 replies, 1000 views. wait till the next race thread by the op.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies