Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is President Obama's race?
White 4 1.73%
Black 59 25.54%
Multiracial 142 61.47%
I don't believe in "race" 26 11.26%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 PM

785 posts, read 621,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
LOL!!!...you are dim witted in a funny sort of way.
Wow just another white person who wants to deny the obvious privilege of being white, and hasn't the intellect to understand why it's relevant to this topic.

It's obvious from your attempt to post a rebuttal that you are out of your depth, go back and read my post SLOWLY then bring up issues of race and society in America as framed by white folk, or does the conservative lack of intellectual honesty prohibit you from admitting that unpleasant fact.

By the way I'm a Black Man with mixed blood, unlike some white folk, I don't pass off the lie that no other blood lines are present in mine.

You are a white male?, LOL, sure you are!! one hundred percent right??..

Speaking the truth...LOL!!!!

Wow you're stupid, and not in a funny way. Just in an unearned arrogance way. As I said, the notion of white privilege is another topic from the one I was commenting on. Direct challenge to you: Can you show me, and all the other posters, where I said that I denied it? I said that you are parroting it. My feelings on it actually mixed, some of the theory I agree with, some I don't. the overall point here is that you just got caught trying to put words in my mouth. Answer the direct challenge. Believe me, I will keep posting this direct challenge to you until you do. Or admit you tried putting words in my mouth.

If you had reading comprehension, which it seems you don't, you would have understood the bulk of my post was about the one drop rule. Here, let me refresh your memory:

ME:
"First, all of those whites that believed in the 1 drop rule were wrong. Why science is so hard for you to comprehend speaks to your lack of intelligence, or rather, your brainwashing in leftist politics. The truth is, is that if you are of mixed race, you are ...wait for it...mixed race. And yes, that includes many whites. I can't speak for all of them, because I am an individual white man"

Wow. That's embarrassing for you. You didn't mention my argument at all, you tried a red herring, to distract. You just also tried to assume that I was denying the most likely mixed race genetics of other whites. Right here you tried it:

"You are a white male?, LOL, sure you are!! one hundred percent right??.."

Um...read the passages I bolded, and next time, try and understand and remember the point, ok? A helpful hint for you is that your posting skills do not match your arrogance. Everyone reading this can see how wrong you were and how busted you were. Oh, I'm also not a true conservative, on most issues, I'm actually a liberal. I know though, you like to stereotype. All in all, this didn't work out well for you. I wish you more luck next time. Ok?

Last edited by speakingtruth; 04-13-2011 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
What are you talking about? I'm very well aware of all of those facts (after all, I'm a native Southerner and down here, we all know, both Black and White, that most Whites didn't own slaves) and I wasn't the one who even brought up slavery to begin with, nor did I even remotely imply anything you are saying. So how exactly am I "wrong on the facts" or how did I make "incorrect assumptions"? You've jumped the gun BIG time here as all I've done is responded to individual statements, not made some overarching argument about slavery. Get it right before you start flapping your gums, ok?
It was Choclot that I had directed the slavery comment, until you responded:
"Suffice to say that if he/she now lives in America, his/her ancestors weren't the ones doing the selling. You do know that all Black people aren't related, right?"

So, you did comment on slavery. My overall point however, is to clown on the idea that the collective ancestors of whites aren't responsible for slavery, any more than the collective ancestors of blacks are. Your line about knowing all black people aren't related was so over the top stereotyping of whites that I just had to use it. I think you might need to
notice the racism directed towards whites on these boards.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,940,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
So, you did comment on slavery.
I was making no argument about slavery. Don't split hairs.

Quote:
My overall point however, is to clown on the idea that the collective ancestors of whites aren't responsible for slavery, any more than the collective ancestors of blacks are.
This is true but I'm not sure if anyone was actually saying this.

Quote:
Your line about knowing all black people aren't related was so over the top stereotyping of whites that I just had to use it.
No, it wasn't a "stereotyping of whites." I said that to point out how people inaccurately project contemporary notions of race back into antiquity which actually demonstrates the eurocentricity of the modern concept of race. You stated, "Your (black) ancestors helped make [slavery] so, by selling black Africans to whites along the coast." This statement reflects a failure to recognize that there was no one big amorphous "African race" on the continent of Africa; there were several tribes and ethnic groups with their own distinct customs, languages, religious systems, etc. that distinguished one group from another. As such, dominant tribes/ethnic groups participated in the slave trade by selling, in many cases, POWs from other tribal/ethnic groups and such to the British, Portugese, etc. So it's not a case of Africans selling "their own people" into slavery as we use such terminology today because there was no such racial solidarity among various African ethnic groups simply on the basis of skin color. That constitutes false imposition of a modern construct onto historical contexts. Some might consider this a trivial distinction, but it actually constitutes the entire basis for the modern construct of race in the first place. And that basis had absolutely nothing to do with a pursuit of scientific truth.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:29 PM

677 posts, read 937,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
But why claim just black instead of just white...he was raised by a white mother and grandparents.
Well let me ask you a question, does Obama look white to you? Well he doesn't look white to anyone else either, so if the shoe fits.........

Old 04-13-2011, 08:15 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,972,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
Wow you're stupid, and not in a funny way. Just in an unearned arrogance way. As I said, the notion of white privilege is another topic from the one I was commenting on. Direct challenge to you: Can you show me, and all the other posters, where I said that I denied it? I said that you are parroting it. My feelings on it actually mixed, some of the theory I agree with, some I don't. the overall point here is that you just got caught trying to put words in my mouth. Answer the direct challenge. Believe me, I will keep posting this direct challenge to you until you do. Or admit you tried putting words in my mouth.

If you had reading comprehension, which it seems you don't, you would have understood the bulk of my post was about the one drop rule. Here, let me refresh your memory:

ME:
"First, all of those whites that believed in the 1 drop rule were wrong. Why science is so hard for you to comprehend speaks to your lack of intelligence, or rather, your brainwashing in leftist politics. The truth is, is that if you are of mixed race, you are ...wait for it...mixed race. And yes, that includes many whites. I can't speak for all of them, because I am an individual white man"

Wow. That's embarrassing for you. You didn't mention my argument at all, you tried a red herring, to distract. You just also tried to assume that I was denying the most likely mixed race genetics of other whites. Right here you tried it:

"You are a white male?, LOL, sure you are!! one hundred percent right??.."

Um...read the passages I bolded, and next time, try and understand and remember the point, ok? A helpful hint for you is that your posting skills do not match your arrogance. Everyone reading this can see how wrong you were and how busted you were. Oh, I'm also not a true conservative, on most issues, I'm actually a liberal. I know though, you like to stereotype. All in all, this didn't work out well for you. I wish you more luck next time. Ok?
You really are a funny guy, in that dim witted way of yours along with , ill informed, and really feminine in your faux outrage. Actually your post embarrasses no one except yourself.

First,

Well logically speaking he IS black....that must be hard for some people to deal with when you base your entire way of life on white skin and the societal
privileges that go with it.

posted in response to Oz in SC. not directed at you in any manner. Again opening your mouth before you know what's going on, I'm positive Oz can reply for himself, no need for a cyber-superman.

Then like a nosey sissy, you butt into the conversation with this usually ill informed crap that the dullards use when the other b.s. doesn't.

Quote:
Wow, just another leftist wants to parrot the white privilege line. That's a whole different topic.
Let me restate this in a way for the dumb azzes that haven't the intellect (including you) in how the notion of white privilege is very much applicable to this topic.

White people and white people alone have made the determination that one drop of black blood ruins a white blood line; how arrogant of whites to make a determination of the human worth of another human being!!..but because of your whiteness or your Aryanism or your caucasianess, and your belief in the superiority of whiteness and the institutions that enforce that ideology until this day guarantee one thing and one thing alone; in any predominately white country, whites will maintain a position of privilege over every other race of people.

Again you jumped into an argument/topic that was over your head, and yes you do deserve and will receive this cyber back hand b!tck slap for being so stupid!!

To "parrot" a line means that the person stating such, has no clear meaning or understanding of the subject they are speaking of. How very arrogant of you to make such an assumption that I didn't know what I was speaking of, but again people like you usually talk out their rectum. I don't need to parrot anything, just stay in your square as a spectator until you are ready for the challenge of contributing a worthwhile response.
It also infers a dis-belief in the subject being discussed.
So for your childish challenge here is your answer: When disputing someone's view, opinion, etc and then stating that they are "parroting" strongly suggests a dis-belief in the statement made with the person you are verbally engaging. Cut out the Perry Mason bit, it doesn't work.

In response to your little feminine snark about stereotyping, take your own advice and don't stereotype me as a leftist. Live what you try to preach!!

For future reference no one "tries to assume", you either assume or you don't!!

So to sum it up...you responded to my post which was not directed at you. Failed to address any of it logically, assumed that I was parroting a line I couldn't comprehend, assumed I was a leftist, and then went off on a silly cyber challenge.

I have given you more time than you deserve, your "challenge" has been answered and I don't give a crap if you can't comprehend the nature of "white privilege", further more my point still stands.

If white people feel they have the standing to demand that this black man be labeled "multi-racial" then most blacks and whites would also have to adopt that racial class. I still don't see many white people rushing to do so...but then again I wouldn't give up that "privilege" either.

I'm done with you, you aren't worth anymore of my c/d time. Go argue with the other people you made silly rebuttals to.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,931,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Well logically speaking he IS black...
Nooo....he is half white.

A Labrador and a Poodle doesn't mean you have a Poodle just because you want it to be so....
Quote:
.that must be hard for some people to deal with when you base your entire way of life on white skin and the societal
privileges that go with it.

Quote:
Why must some attempt to deny reality..
I don't know why you do,it should be pretty simple to grasp,a person with one Mongoloid and one Caucasian isn't either....

Quote:
Society itself has spoken for hundreds of years on the matter, white folk not black folk have decided that one drop of black blood is all you need to seal the deal, your'e black!!!
OHHHHH,I see,you are trapped in the past by the way white people used to judge blacks,I am sorry to read you cannot progress beyond that way of thinking.

Quote:
For those who want to be technical about the matter, as I stated in a previous post. The standards that determine Obama to be bi-racial would determine that an overwhelming majority of black folk in this country are bi-racial. At the same time those standards would determine many white people to also be bi-racial or black with the level of black dna in their bodies.
And what would be the harm in that?
To me,it would seem to be a great thing,don't you think so???

Quote:
Why aren't more white folk being truthful and calling themselves black or bi-racial???...I don't blame you, I'd be hesitant to give up that privilege too!!
Doesn't really matter much to me either way.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I was making no argument about slavery. Don't split hairs.

This is true but I'm not sure if anyone was actually saying this.

No, it wasn't a "stereotyping of whites." I said that to point out how people inaccurately project contemporary notions of race back into antiquity which actually demonstrates the eurocentricity of the modern concept of race. You stated, "Your (black) ancestors helped make [slavery] so, by selling black Africans to whites along the coast." This statement reflects a failure to recognize that there was no one big amorphous "African race" on the continent of Africa; there were several tribes and ethnic groups with their own distinct customs, languages, religious systems, etc. that distinguished one group from another. As such, dominant tribes/ethnic groups participated in the slave trade by selling, in many cases, POWs from other tribal/ethnic groups and such to the British, Portugese, etc. So it's not a case of Africans selling "their own people" into slavery as we use such terminology today because there was no such racial solidarity among various African ethnic groups simply on the basis of skin color. That constitutes false imposition of a modern construct onto historical contexts. Some might consider this a trivial distinction, but it actually constitutes the entire basis for the modern construct of race in the first place. And that basis had absolutely nothing to do with a pursuit of scientific truth.
you do differ from most posters on here. That was intelligent, I will give you that. However, you still miss the mark I was making, AND, you make a point that many whites have been making about the history of the slave trade, and to a large degree, about racism itself.

As for this:
My overall point however, is to clown on the idea that the collective ancestors of whites aren't responsible for slavery, any more than the collective ancestors of blacks are.

yes, Choclot said something about "your white ancestors" being responsible for Barack being a mulatto. Therefore, someone in this thread did say that. I'm sure more did, I'm just not going through them all. You can't be serious in trying to deny that MANY blacks still assign majority and collective blame to whites ,and only, whites? That would be a losing card.

As to your last paragraph, I was correct. Historically and scientifically, I was correct. There is a negro race and a caucasian one. I know that there are more similarities between races than within them, often. That doesn't change the fact there are whites and blacks on earth. I'm just dealing with the facts. Secondly, many on this thread itself make the argument that because Barack looks black, then he is. The racial constructs you speak of were different then than they are now. You also gave examples of distinct ETHNICITIES within the African nation. the fact that they were almost all Negros proves my point.

Further, you make an argument (correctly) that Africans sold other Africans, but from other tribes, and thus, they were not all the same. I could make an entire thread grandstanding on the immorality on that but I won't. Selling humans is wrong. Period. It was just as wrong when Blacks did it as when Whites did it. If you were trying to mitigate the damage by saying said slave trade among Africans wasn't because of skin color, its still no less immoral. They apparently found other (morally irrelevant) differences to justify their immoral trade.

Will you give the same moral leeway to the whites that took part in the slave trade? Personally, I think it was wrong across the board. Yes, I understand the context. It was still wrong. Its worth noting it was the white Abolitionist movement that rose up, eventually giving rise to the end of large scale slavery. It still exists in Africa and that is of major historical importance and gives a glimpse into the truth of slavery.

So, yes, I understand it, and I still think it's of utmost importance that many young African Americans (and European-Americans) understand that the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade cannot be laid solely at the feet of Whites. This seems to bother many African Americans. However, they need to come to terms with that. I say that with all sincerity.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,931,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm referring to the "one drop rule". Africans had NOTHING to do with that...get educated before you get defensive.
Why do you still hang onto something from the past like that?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 PM

7,127 posts, read 8,700,114 times
I didn't vote for Obama however I think he has made it very clear that his white mother was a bigger influence in his life rather than his black father! As for calling himself black that seems to be what most bi-racial people do, it's not like he is the only one doing it!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Nooo....he is half white.

A Labrador and a Poodle doesn't mean you have a Poodle just because you want it to be so....

I don't know why you do,it should be pretty simple to grasp,a person with one Mongoloid and one Caucasian isn't either....

OHHHHH,I see,you are trapped in the past by the way white people used to judge blacks,I am sorry to read you cannot progress beyond that way of thinking.

And what would be the harm in that?
To me,it would seem to be a great thing,don't you think so???

Doesn't really matter much to me either way.
Great job, great post! You destroyed him! However, isn't it funny? Halle Barry and so many other blacks USE THE KKK'S DEFINITION OF BLACK TO DEFINE THEMSELVES!

To recon....
Silly boys and girls, just because racist whites used the one drop rule, doesn't mean you have to also? You're so caught in your own anger and hatred to see that they're still defining you, and you're letting them!

Personally, I deal in science. One black parent...one white parent...one mixed race child. Both black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies