Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is President Obama's race?
White 4 1.73%
Black 59 25.54%
Multiracial 142 61.47%
I don't believe in "race" 26 11.26%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:37 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,785,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
When he first won the Masters and came to fame, he was asked to describe his background and how he saw himself. He claimed he was Cablanasian referring to his Caucasian, Black, Indian (Native American) and Asian background. Many Blacks at the time felt Tiger was being evasive and wished he just referred to himself as being Black since that is what he most closely resembles in appearance and is generally accepted as. The Black community still supported him at that time. Just because they didn't agree with his use of the word 'Cablanasian' it doesn't mean they didn't support. And even the comedian Sinbad joked about this in one of his stand-up routines.
So did Chris Rock, who took Tiger's picture all over Asian neighborhoods in NYC and asked random Asian people whether Tiger was black or Asian. All, to a man, or to a woman, said Tiger was black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 02:37 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,936,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
@recon/desert, I told you! Read my post! I refuse to respond to murdock Jr. He is completly clueless! The sad thing about it is that he refuses to believe that he just does not know what he is talking about
I am being uppity I guess....

Just another damned whitey daring to toe the line when it comes to black people....

Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I actually like Oz...even though you'd never know it. His posts are actually fairly thought provoking on most topics. And he's unusually sharp on foreign affairs.

But when he gets to race in America, he cracks me the hell up. He's not even from here, but he hangs out with some southern rednecks and decides to adopt their opinions.
Name calling again,don't let your bigotry be so open,people might start to realise you are as racist and bigoted as the ones you rail against....

Or do,it makes more people think that they no longer have to be afraid of being labeled an evil 'racist' for DARING to think differently to black Americans....

Old 04-20-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yeah, OZ.......everyone else is the problem, and you're right.
No...more like the chip the black Americans have regarding how put upon they are is the problem...

Kind of funny how much the poll is running against the race baiters....

It must be frightening to the race baiters think how much political power they and their supporters would lose if/when people stop CARING about race.....

Old 04-20-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Jeter's dad is black (technically mixed like most African descendants in this hemisphere) and his mom is of Irish and German origin. His sister is much darker but still lighter than your average AA person.
I have heard the name,I don't partake in watching mindless drivel like professional sports...

Quote:
She's probably black, but I don't know or care. She's cute.
Hmmm,not my cup of tea,but not ugly or anything....

Quote:
Yeah, it isn't........unless it is. And here in America, it is.
It all starts with one person,stop giving in to the whole race thing,it is a waste of time except to those who make money/collect political power from it...

Leave the plantation.....

Well carry on without me,I must go burn some crosses/buy some new sheets/etc....

Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM

639 posts, read 1,294,565 times
If you saw Obama on the street and you didn't know who he was you wouldn't say. "Hey, there's a multiracial guy."

You would say. "Hey, there's a black guy."

So even though technically hes multiracial, in the real world he is black.

Although his upbringing was very stereotypically white.

I like Obama, he has changed the saying Tragic Mulatto, into Awesome Mulatto.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:51 PM

22,268 posts, read 19,595,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I have heard the name,I don't partake in watching mindless drivel like professional sports...

Hmmm,not my cup of tea,but not ugly or anything....

It all starts with one person,stop giving in to the whole race thing,it is a waste of time except to those who make money/collect political power from it...

Leave the plantation.....
Hallie Berry, Derek Jeter, Alicia Keyes, Barack Obama and others who are bi racial would not have been allowed to vote in your state until the VRA. Jeter would not be in baseball if it wasn't for the color barrier being broken.

Obama has said he is bi-racial and has stated his mother was white. Yes he generally does identify as being black, but that is how society has long viewed those of mixed race, including the government, which didn't even include more than one race on the census form until 2000.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM

22,268 posts, read 19,595,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No...I have heard of him but don't know anything about him...googled half black half white people...
I wouldn't have ever thought he was bi-racial to be honest....

Doesn't matter,is she black or white?

Actually that is Alicia Keyes,she is an entertainer of some sort(you can tell I REALLY care about music and professional sports) and is half black,half white I do believe....

Point I was making is you actually can't tell all the time and maybe if people stopped CARING to classify themselves as X or Y race,it would stop being very important....because God knows,your race really isn't important.
FWIW, Jeter, his parents and sister.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:59 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,859,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
You, and everyone else on this thread really needs to read this page thorougly

One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I read it.

It says the one drop rule was ruled unconstitutional in 1967.

Given that it's 2011, it seems like anyone who still uses the "one drop rule" as a basis for determining their ethnicity, is either a white supremacist, or else must be stuck psychologically in the 20th century.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Hallie Berry, Derek Jeter, Alicia Keyes, Barack Obama and others who are bi racial would not have been allowed to vote in your state until the VRA. Jeter would not be in baseball if it wasn't for the color barrier being broken.
Living in the past still I see....and a few hundred years ago they could have been slaves...so what?

Quote:
Obama has said he is bi-racial and has stated his mother was white. Yes he generally does identify as being black, but that is how society has long viewed those of mixed race, including the government, which didn't even include more than one race on the census form until 2000.
I think the point of the OP article was that this was an opportunity for Obama...and at least in the eyes of the writer of that piece he missed the opportunity.

I don't give a crap what he puts down,next time I am putting Eskimo...might as well boost their numbers down here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies