Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is President Obama's race?
White 4 1.73%
Black 59 25.54%
Multiracial 142 61.47%
I don't believe in "race" 26 11.26%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 AM

13,186 posts, read 12,364,161 times

Advertisements

Whats the probelm? The man is biologically of mixed decent but is identified as being black by EVERYONE in this country, he identifies himself as being black, so again I ask whats the probelm?

This is strictly an observation but whenever a black person with an obvious questionable racial mixture does well, he/she considered to be bi-racial. When that same person does something horrific he/she is looked at as being black. My case in point, when was the last time that you heard a newscaster describe a suspect as being bi-racial? He/she is either Hispanic, Black, Asian or White. Another thing, a person of color can claim that he/she is white and have black features but still will not be accepted as white person. Adversely that same person would be accepted into the black community without question.

Black Americans/African Americans/Nubian Americans are all one and the same people and we are all aware of the atrocities that occurred to our forefathers as far as the rapes and mistreatment. But now we are collectively are still Americans and all that we seek is equal treatment from everyone regardless of what racial background that you may perceive us as being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,970,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Oh look,another of the resident racists.

And name calling,shocker.

Keep up the diatribe(google it for the definition),it helps illustrate your bigotry.
I don't indulge the imagination of foreigners!!!..next time come into the discussion with some intellectual honesty.

Your credibility is now zero. Go debate other foreigners about American's issues. Have a good time.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:50 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,922,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I don't indulge the imagination of foreigners!!!..next time come into the discussion with some intellectual honesty.

Your credibility is now zero. Go debate other foreigners about American's issues. Have a good time.
Such a xenophobe.....tsk tsk....

Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM

6,760 posts, read 11,657,779 times
If Obama claimed to be multiracial he would not get anywhere near the amount of black votes. He knows it, the DNC knows it, everyone knows it.

That being said, I don't think this is an issue. Most people who are half white/half black consider themselves black. Obama has done what the vast majority of others with his racial makeup have done, so I don't see an issue here.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:33 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,520,347 times
He's a black man, looked as one and will continue to be looked as one.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,520,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Whats the probelm? The man is biologically of mixed decent but is identified as being black by EVERYONE in this country, he identifies himself as being black, so again I ask whats the probelm?

This is strictly an observation but whenever a black person with an obvious questionable racial mixture does well, he/she considered to be bi-racial. When that same person does something horrific he/she is looked at as being black. My case in point, when was the last time that you heard a newscaster describe a suspect as being bi-racial? He/she is either Hispanic, Black, Asian or White. Another thing, a person of color can claim that he/she is white and have black features but still will not be accepted as white person. Adversely that same person would be accepted into the black community without question.

Black Americans/African Americans/Nubian Americans are all one and the same people and we are all aware of the atrocities that occurred to our forefathers as far as the rapes and mistreatment. But now we are collectively are still Americans and all that we seek is equal treatment from everyone regardless of what racial background that you may perceive us as being.
Obama is currently 'White' but when he robs a liquor store he's Black in 0.2 seconds.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 AM

13,186 posts, read 12,364,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Obama is currently 'White' but when he robs a liquor store he's Black in 0.2 seconds.
I don't understand why all of the sudden some whites care what a black or bi-racial person thinks anyway? Did they question Colin Powell when he considered runing for presidency? Is this a polical ploy for division? who knows

Old 04-22-2011, 05:00 PM

270 posts, read 199,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I read it.

It says the one drop rule was ruled unconstitutional in 1967.

Given that it's 2011, it seems like anyone who still uses the "one drop rule" as a basis for determining their ethnicity, is either a white supremacist, or else must be stuck psychologically in the 20th century.
Interracial marriage was banned in 1967 not the "One Drop Rule." State law in Louisiana upheld the One Drop Rule well into the 1980s. Mixed race people were effectively banned in the United States until the year 2000.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:36 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,083,024 times
I'm still watching this thread & so far a steady, overwhelming 62% of the people continue to say he's bi-racial.

Hasn't changed much & I'm sure it reflects a good deal on how the rest of the country feels on this matter.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 AM

270 posts, read 199,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BougNeg1 View Post
Interracial marriage was banned in 1967 not the "One Drop Rule." State law in Louisiana upheld the One Drop Rule well into the 1980s. Mixed race people were effectively banned in the United States until the year 2000.
OOPS! I meant to say that the ban on interracial marriage was lifted in 1967, not the "one drop rule."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies