Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is President Obama's race?
White 4 1.73%
Black 59 25.54%
Multiracial 142 61.47%
I don't believe in "race" 26 11.26%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It's all about the politics of race. If you were Barack Obama and you had the prospect of being referred to as the "First Black President," would you even bring white into the conversation? Of course not. That's why he wrote extensively about his background.....so he could rightfully say he has broached the topic in his books and thus no need to say it out loud on the campaign trail where "First Black President" was worth gold.

...Or there's that nobody ever treated him like he was white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Race; census; Obama: Black and more so - latimes.com

The article quoted a political science professor who said that Obama identifies as black for political reasons. If he had called himself multiracial in Chicago, he never would have had a political career.
Probably some truth to that, but the fact remains he is multi-racial, cut and dry!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So Democrats will only vote for blacks?
unfortunately there is some truth to that. No, of course blacks vote for those other than black. The same as there are many black Republicans, but we all know his victory was helped by black who voted for the first time or who rarely vote.

Nita

Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
Has any other President been asked to do this? Even white looking people can have a lot of ethnicities mixed into their history, and many ancestors of a different group. But nobody seems to care about a background of English German Greek Russian etc because it cannot be seen on the outside--the skin colour.

Sure it can be seen.. people of slavic descent look different than people of anglo descent. However, at this point in America the only color that matters for most people is white... no one will assume you're from an illiterate third world country even if you're an immigrant from the worst parts of eastern Europe, but if you're an African Immigrant people assume you must have been escaping the entrenched poverty of your oppressed shantytown People on here realize that there ARE rich Africans living in houses in Africa that are bigger than yours, right? Its not all from corrupt government money either. There's a little thing called talent that a lot of African musicians and artists seem to have that gets them international recognition, along with wealthy businessman and scholars who are playing on the international level. We're not talking about aliens here smh

Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
unfortunately there is some truth to that. No, of course blacks vote for those other than black. The same as there are many black Republicans, but we all know his victory was helped by black who voted for the first time or who rarely vote.

Nita

The majority of those who voted for the first time saw no reason to vote before... its one thing to talk about understanding the struggle of minorities and its another to have been through it. I foresee a barrage of folk replying that Obama "never went through a struggle" because he had a white mom and went to private school. The reality is, no matter how rich you are the first thing people will see about you is that you're black. They'll always see you as a pig dressed in a tux regardless if the label is Armani... then they'll probably think you stole it. When you're black, you're guilty until proven innocent. That's a struggle no white political candidate will ever understand until they live it.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,301 times
Why should any President have to acknowledge their race at all? I guess we really haven't come as far as one would hope we had in the last 200 yrs. Getting caught up in something acknowledging their race when there are so many other issues at hand is ridiculous.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Why would you or anyone else care?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The majority of those who voted for the first time saw no reason to vote before... its one thing to talk about understanding the struggle of minorities and its another to have been through it. I foresee a barrage of folk replying that Obama "never went through a struggle" because he had a white mom and went to private school. The reality is, no matter how rich you are the first thing people will see about you is that you're black. They'll always see you as a pig dressed in a tux regardless if the label is Armani... then they'll probably think you stole it. When you're black, you're guilty until proven innocent. That's a struggle no white political candidate will ever understand until they live it.
you are totally missing the point: I simply mentioned many who had never voted, especially blacks did vote for him because of his color. I didn't give any reason why they did this and I am not saying it was wrong, I am saying many did come out because of his color.

Nita

Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are totally missing the point: I simply mentioned many who had never voted, especially blacks did vote for him because of his color. I didn't give any reason why they did this and I am not saying it was wrong, I am saying many did come out because of his color.

Nita
I think this is true, and I don't blame them. Many Black people (including me) thought that becoming President was some silly pipe dream. But to live to see it happen and to have a chance to take part in the voting process to make history happen? No, I don't blame them ONE BIT.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I think this is true, and I don't blame them. Many Black people (including me) thought that becoming President was some silly pipe dream. But to live to see it happen and to have a chance to take part in the voting process to make history happen? No, I don't blame them ONE BIT.
agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies